Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...

Does anyone thinik that amount is enough? And if not, why does GW decides to give Cuba $50.000?
Unfortunately I don't have a link to it, but I heard it on the news last night.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...

In reply to: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...

Charlie,

It's U.S. offers $50,000 to Cuba, and it's for assisting the Cubans cleanup after your namesake's visit:

In a rare display of amity toward communist Cuba, the United States offered its longtime foe 50,000 dollars in disaster assistance and urged US-based humanitarian groups to send aid to the island after it was badly hit by Hurricane Charley.

"The United States regrets the damage caused by Hurricane Charley and expresses its solidarity with the Cuban people," deputy State Department spokesman Adam Ereli.

"The Cuban people can count on America's support in these difficult times," he said in a statement. "We are working to assist the Cuban people with the humanitarian crisis they now face."

Paul

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm afraid it is Charley and not Charlie

In reply to: Re: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You could donate a spell checker to them....

In reply to: (NT) I'm afraid it is Charley and not Charlie

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not allowed to according to the US. government!

In reply to: (NT) You could donate a spell checker to them....

Collapse -
Apart from that...

In reply to: (NT) Not allowed to according to the US. government!

I don't find the Cuban government the ideal one to rule the country...

Collapse -
Re: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...

In reply to: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US...

Hi Charlie, Much to our credit, the US has aleays been generous in other nations time of need, even when their ideoligies were different than ours.

Collapse -
Hmmm....

Hi Mary Kay,

I have to disagree with you on this one...
The US has always been generous with those nations that have done what the US wanted them to do; IOW, obey the US and let US enterprises/financial interests provail. I can't recall one single nation that has recieved any kind of aid, being an independent nation [a nation who hasn't let American interests provail]. This is definitely an exception! But I have my own theories about why the Administration is gicing them $50.000... There is a huge amount of Cubans in FL, so to help their families back in Cuba is sucking votes...
But that is my theory. I may be wrong! It may be that GW believs that Castro's Cuba deserves help...

Collapse -
Re: Hmmm....

In reply to: Hmmm....

Charlie, I beg to disagree with you on this. We have helped many nations in need, whether they were our allies or not. All the way back to the Marshall plan and I'm sure before that. And as for the president feeling cubans need our help... I agree. However I hope it is not just a ploy to obtain the Cuban/American vote in the election.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So we agree on disagree... ;-)

In reply to: Re: Hmmm....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: definitely :-)

In reply to: (NT) So we agree on disagree... ;-)

Collapse -
Re: Hmmm....something smells fishy

In reply to: Hmmm....

So helping after a natural disaster by a force of nature is either an attempt to buy votes, an unsufficient response, or endorsing a government that you know we don't?

Your bias against Bush being well know, this is obviously a question of the form-

"have you stop beating your wife yet?" .

In other words, no matter what any body responds, it offers you a chance to criticize the currrent administration or American policies and American behavior in general.

Sorry Charlie, the pattern is too consistent to not be seen.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US... -- Generous?

Hi, MK.

>>US has aleays been generous in other nations time of need, even when their ideoligies were different than ours.<<
And is $50,000 really "generous?" BTW, I don't know if you recall, but the massive outpouring of private and official US aid after an earthquake (Armenia?) was one of the things that thawed relations between the US and the USSR in the 80's.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US... -- Generous?

In reply to: Re: Cuba gets $50.000 from the US... -- Generous?

Dave, Generous Yes, as opposed to nothing . I was commenting on the act of giving but none the less, We are doing this for humane reasons and yes, often we get added benefits from it. There has to come a limit to our giving when we have to clean up our own areas hit by the hurricane. If you want to balance the budget, you have to make responsible decisions,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.