Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ctrl/alt/del

by Joe Chico / September 17, 2004 4:01 AM PDT

Hi I have XP Home When I press ctrl/alt/del I get a pop up with my user, ID 0, Status Active, Session Console. On the bottom it states if I want disconnect or log off, instead of end task, process, etc. How do I go back to it? I am the only one and adm. that uses this computer. I hope this is enough info. Joe

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ctrl/alt/del
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ctrl/alt/del
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fast User Switching is enabled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: ctrl/alt/del
Collapse -
Re: ctrl/alt/del
by Joe Chico / September 17, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

I tried it twice, it did not help. Unchecked fast user once, apply options and restarted twice I still get the user Console. Any thing else I can try or will system restore do it.? Leaving the computer now but will be back in a couple of hours Joe

Collapse -
by kjleitch / September 17, 2004 7:31 AM PDT

When you use crtl/alt/del look at the top of the menu box when it appears, make sure that you click on the tab at the beginning left. The different tabs at the top will give you a different type of menu which has several different functions.

Collapse -
by Joe Chico / September 17, 2004 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: ctrl/alt/del

The "user" menu does not have all the tabs you mentiomed
I do know what you mean That is the one I am trying to restore instead of the user menu.

Collapse -
by JP Bill / September 17, 2004 11:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
''Task Manager''
by Cursorcowboy / September 17, 2004 10:29 PM PDT

1. Task Manager (Taskmgr.exe), a GUI tool consisting of the four tabs (Applications, Processes, Performance, and Networking), is used to view or end a processes or an unresponsive application and used to gather CPU statistics and can be started from the command prompt by typing taskmgr and then pressing Enter or by using the key combinations CTRL+ALT+DEL and then clicking Task Manager.

Note: The Applications and Processes tabs provide a list of applications or processes currently active and enables you to end most items by clicking End Process. You cannot end some processes immediately, and you might need to use other programs such as the Services snap-in (started by typing services.msc on the Run line to view service information or to temporarily stop, pause, or disable services for troubleshooting or diagnostic purposes when logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group), Task Kill (a command-line tool, used with a specified process identifier (PID) or any part of the process name -- found using Task List (Tasklist.exe) to end one or more processes -- to troubleshoot suspected faulty services or applications that stop responding or consume excessive system resources that might be adversely affecting the performance of a system, such as sluggish performance, slow screen updates, delayed response to network requests, or slow response to keyboard and mouse input), Process Viewer ((Pstat.exe) is a command-line Support Tool that enables you to view the status of threads, processes, and drivers running, [Q192463]), or equivalent tools, to end them.

2. Task Manager can be customized to increase or decrease the level of detail shown on the Processes tab. Click View, Select Columns, and then select or clear the columns wanting to add or remove.

3. The article Q314227] states the menu bar and tabs may not be visible in Task Manager if it is running in Tiny Footprint mode that occurs when a user double-clicked the empty space in the border around the tabs which allows resizing Task Manager. Double-clicking this empty space again returns it to the typical display.

4. Has "Group Policies" been used and the use of WTM been circumvented on your system as explained in this link, or perhaps the "fix" described on the DougKnox site that can be downloaded and used?

Collapse -
Re: ''Task Manager''
by Joe Chico / September 18, 2004 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: ''Task Manager''

THANK YOU! Happy Cursorcowboy No.3 solved my problem (Q314227)
I tried all the rest first. Regedit, rebooted, etc. none worked Thanks again Joe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.