Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"ctl-alt-del" does not work as it should

by Marie Boyer / July 5, 2005 9:21 PM PDT

My sister has an old IBM computer with ME. It has many problems, one of them is the subject of this post.

When she experiences a computer hang, (that is, when the houglass is stuck and nothing will respond), she hits "ctrl-alt-del" so that she can end tasks. Nothing happens. "Ctrl-alt-del" brings up nothing. She ends up having to turn off her power and re-boot. Then, the scandisc feature runs automatically, and she loses her active desktop. Takes awhile to get everything back in shape.

But my main question is how can I get her "crtl-alt-del" to work again so she can shut down properly or end tasks?

Or should she just buy a new computer? (We are beginning to think about that option.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "ctl-alt-del" does not work as it should
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "ctl-alt-del" does not work as it should
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few suggestions re: CAD
by TONI H / July 6, 2005 12:53 AM PDT

Computer Stops Responding After You Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE (Q195164)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q195164

SYMPTOMS
When you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Close Program dialog box in Windows, your computer may stop responding (hang).

CAUSE
This issue can occur if the Reboot.vxd file is located in the Vmm32 folder and is damaged or is the wrong version.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, rename the Reboot.vxd file in the Vmm32 folder and then restart your computer. For information about how to rename a file, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type "renaming" (without quotation marks), and then double-click the "Renaming files" topic.

MORE INFORMATION
The Reboot.vxd file is normally integrated into the Vmm32.vxd file, and should not appear in other locations.

More suggestions:
Click on:Start/Run
Enter "msconfig" without the quotes
Click "OK"

Click on the "System.ini" tab

Scroll down to the section called [386Enh]

Look for this entry: "LocalReboot=xx"

If you have the entry, after the equal sign, does it say "on" or "off"?

BTW: On the "General" tab is the box before "Process system.ini file" checkmarked?

NOTE: There may be other things going on in the background that are eating up resources so that CAD can't function properly. I would suggest that she download and run the free Ad-Aware program to search for spyware as well as running a free-online scan for viruses. Some viruses will actually disable her anti-virus program giving her the illusion that things are fine when they aren't, but an on-line scan will find them if they exist and remove them for her. The following list are member recommendations with housecall at Trend's site being the number one pick for free on-line virus/trojan scans. Not all of the programs have to be installed and run...pick and choose.

Make sure that you don't have viruses or spyware resident on the machine. Please click on any of the free online virus scanners at the links below:

You can get an online scan for viruses, trojans and variants at any of the following....however, all except one runs with an Active X control and will only work with Internet Explorer. The Trend scan link also includes a link for a Java version that can be run by other browsers such as Firefox.

Collapse -
Wow, thanks.
by Marie Boyer / July 6, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

I will get back to her computer this week sometime and post a response to your specific questions. I will print out your suggestions and follow them. Thank you very much!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.