Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

csrss.exe error message

by Wakenaam / August 24, 2005 7:17 AM PDT

My Friends: I am running Windows XP Pro. Something is wrong with my computer because it keeps triggering the following error message on start-up: "csrss.exe application cannot be run in Win32 mode". I run McAffee and AVG antiviruses every day. I tried running Spybot and AdAware, same problem. Any suggestions how I may fix this? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: csrss.exe error message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: csrss.exe error message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make sure
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

you do "not" have a csrss.exe in your Windows folder.

The only one(s) you should have will be in;

C:\Windows\System32 , and possibly in
C:\I386, and
C:\Windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$, and
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folders.

If you have one in C:\Windows, you have a virus, such as the Trojan.Gutta or W32.Netsky.AB@mm or W32.Buchon.A@mm or Backdoor.Botnachala virus.

If you are having problems running McAfee or AVG, go to this Symantec web site for details how to tackle this. Where Symantec talks about re-loading Nortons AV and updating the definitions, substitute your own AV for that.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.chod@mm.html

Google suggests that you have posted about this problem in other forums;
http://castlecops.com/t130982-csrss_exe_error_message.html
http://www.24help.info/t447261-csrssexe-error-message.html
http://forums.techguy.org/archive/t-391962.html

Look at this site;
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_c.htm
for more details on csrss.exe. Select C at the top, scroll down to csrss.exe.

Mark

Collapse -
Csrss.exe & troj_agent.ariy
by neoniko / October 7, 2008 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Make sure

I'm also having a similar problem. Expect the path name is different as well it saying troj_agent.ariy is present. I've researched and can't find anything related to that virus. Any clues?

Collapse -
Replying to 3 year old thread?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 7, 2008 6:55 AM PDT

You're lucky I was just passing by and called in. Many would have kept on going.

What happened when you tried the options in my previous post?

Mark

Collapse -
File Information - How to remove csrss.exe error problem //
by prafullpraf / November 10, 2008 10:07 PM PST

File Information - How to remove csrss.exe error problem // csrss.exe error message -Windows Xp //csrss.exe error message [RESOLVED]

csrss.exe problem and one of the solution how to solve this..

Hi Friends...This Is Prafull
I had a virus on my computer a while ago and I deleted it usign a virus scanner. Ever sicne that day, everytime I log onto Windows XP Professional SP2, it comes up with a message saying:
"C:\WINDOWS\Config\csrss.exe is missing. Try doing a search."
I did a search and it found csrss.exe but it was actually in C:\WINDOWS\System32\csrss.exe.

ANSWER : Solutio

From what a google search tells me this is an issue with a virus trying to add itself to the shell key in the registry.

As for copying the file over, not a good idea. Will probably just give you another error.

So do the following to remove it:

* Click Start>Run/

* Type regedit and press enter.

* Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Micros

Collapse -
BIG THANKS
by alpi77 / May 16, 2009 7:19 PM PDT

Prafullpraf thanks a lot. I?ve had this problem with csrss.exe for months. Nothing worked. Tryed yours solution - works like a charm!

No more stupid error messeges.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.