Speakeasy forum

General discussion

CSI scenarios and jury trials

by JP Bill / April 4, 2005 10:36 PM PDT

I've been watching CSI (reruns, late at night) the last couple of weeks.

In my opinion some of the scenarios, that lead to the capture of the perp are a little far fetched.

One example was where a audio tape was destroyed because of the exposure of fumes from hydrocloric acid. A prisoner was working in the crime lab and was paid to spill HCl. Horatio, the detective, looked at the prisoners arm and noticed a small mark on the arm, near the rolled up sleeve, and deduced that he had written the letters HCl in order to know which chemical to spill.

Another example was, during hurricane Andrew A woman is found shot dead in her bed. The wound is jagged, indicating it was probably from a ricochet, so they must go back to the crime scene. Tracing the trajectory, they find a collection of bullets outside. Deena did a lot of target practice. Calleigh thinks she knows how the woman died. The hurricane picked up the slug and shot it into her. 150mph winds proved to be deadly.

'CSI effect' has juries wanting more evidence

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CSI scenarios and jury trials
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CSI scenarios and jury trials
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's called Poetic License.
by Jerry562 / April 4, 2005 11:07 PM PDT

It you are hung on the tiny details, you have turned the show into a research project and missed the entertainment value. Try a nice glass of wine with the next show, I find both very enjoyable.

I also like the physic detective stories on satellite, they remind me that there are powers that I don't understand and admire.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / April 4, 2005 11:21 PM PDT

The other part of my post concerned jury trials.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they interviewed a juror that was on the Blake murder trial. She remarked on the fact she watched CSI and because of watching the show she had "knowledge" of crime scene investigations.

I wonder how much "poetic license" affected her decision?

She did mention that the "experts" that were witnesses during the trial did give detailed explanations. But, as she already had seen the program, and first impressions are lasting, I have to wonder.

Collapse -
The show takes a lot of license
by Josh K / April 4, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Response

For example, real CSIs don't question witnesses, etc. The CSIs on these shows always are the ones solving the crimes when in real life that work would be done by detectives, using the information the CSIs have given them.

You just have to overlook that and sit back and enjoy the ride. I like the original show but don't care for either of the two others.

Collapse -
I'm with you, Josh.
by Cindi Haynes / April 5, 2005 4:48 AM PDT

I enjoy the original much more than the spin-offs. Can't David Caruso's neck hold his head upright??

Another show I watch is Crossing Jordan. I don't know why, another one where she's Medical Examiner, CSI, Detective, Judge, and Jury. Wink

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
David Caruso
by Josh K / April 5, 2005 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm with you, Josh.

I've also wondered exactly when his hands were surgically attached to his hips.

Collapse -
Jordan has a saving virtue.
by drpruner / April 5, 2005 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm with you, Josh.

It stars a homely old guy; not sure just why that appeals to me. Happy
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
Don't wonder about my opinion
by Jerry562 / April 5, 2005 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

of Juries. The head juror on the Menendez trial said she thought they didn't do it. She was told (after the trial of course) that they admitted that they did it, the trial was about; was the murder justified because they were molested. She said, by the time we got there, we were all so confused, we didn't know what they were talking about.

Collapse -
1st its tv and as to the jurys did they watch supernam allso
by Mark5019 / April 4, 2005 11:31 PM PDT

like the other post its tv not real.

if they say they saw it on tv then they will allso beleave in the tooth fairy, santa claus, and peter pan.
its the stupid people that beleave tv shows are real.
some like discovery and simular are but most are acting.

Collapse -
its the stupid people that beleave tv shows are real.
by JP Bill / April 4, 2005 11:46 PM PDT

Don't have to be stupid to miss the line between make believe and real life concerning CSI.

CSI' Effect on Potential Jurors has Some Prosecutors Worried

Potential jurors these days are being asked a question that is becoming something of a national refrain: "Do you watch the television show 'CSI'?"

As "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," the top-rated CBS show about a technologically supercharged team of crime-scene investigators, spins off this season into another wildly popular franchise, "CSI: Miami," district attorneys increasingly worry that the shows taint the jury pool with impossibly high expectations of how easily and conclusively criminal cases can be solved using DNA analysis and other forensic science.

Left unchallenged, such expectations could undermine their cases, they say, and - in the worst-case scenario - translate into losses in the courtroom.

But "CSI," boasting DNA-age techniques that look authentic but sometimes miss the mark, appears to blur the line between make-believe and real life to a degree never seen before.

Collapse -
well then i guess you
by Mark5019 / April 4, 2005 11:49 PM PDT

want all tv shows to be removed.
what the problem is to serve on a jury they dont do tests to see if the persons a smuck
and if people beleave all theey see on tv its funny.
they probolly buy swamp land in vegas

Collapse -
Problem is, the jury pool is
by drpruner / April 5, 2005 4:32 PM PDT
In reply to: well then i guess you

us!
Some of us watch one thing, some another. It's a flawed system, all right, so stay out of trouble! Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i have allways stayed legal :)
by Mark5019 / April 5, 2005 10:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
What I find interesting is that
by Diana Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 12:16 AM PDT

the labs and detectives are able to concentrate on one or two crimes while real-life ones probably have dozens of cases they have to work on at once.

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Right, that was one of the virtues of NYPD
by drpruner / April 5, 2005 4:36 PM PDT

Bluemovie, which also had a [correctly] scuzzy squad room. Also they occasionally carried over a crime investigation for two or three weeks, which is somewhat closer to real life.

Collapse -
I briefly worked in the field ...
by Evie / April 5, 2005 12:36 AM PDT

... and although technology has surely advanced from the day of Quincy MD, I found CSI to be quite a bit "out there" the few times I've seen it. Certainly sensationalized and probably not even close to what goes on in elite labs of the FBI, let alone routine cases (even high profile ones).

Sounds like "do you watch crime programs" and related questions will now be part of jury selection. I'm glad the Peterson jury didn't succomb to the notion that only fancy and extensive forensic evidence can prove guilt.

Collapse -
Did you see the
by Dan McC / April 5, 2005 1:13 AM PDT

one with the "Fluffies" and "Plushies"?

You can't make this stuff up.

Dan

Collapse -
I was hoping they WERE making it up
by Josh K / April 5, 2005 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you see the

The alternative would be to know that there are really people like that.

They've done a few rather.....unusual.....storylines this year, like they're trying to draw in the fetish crowd or something.

Collapse -
Oh, Josh.
by Dan McC / April 5, 2005 1:58 AM PDT

It would be hard to imagine a fetish that wasn't already practiced with a good sized web presence. Just don't Google "fuzzies plushies" while you're at work.

Dan

Collapse -
Holy $#@%&!
by Josh K / April 5, 2005 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh, Josh.

People sure are strange.

Collapse -
Cropssing Jordan and CSI are so far from
by gearup / April 5, 2005 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Holy $#@%&!

reality that they should be classified as fantasy or sci-fi. CSI labs and M.E. labs just dont do what these people do.

So watch and have fun but realize that is all it is intended to be...FUN!

Collapse -
CSI New York is the least believable of the three
by Josh K / April 5, 2005 3:11 AM PDT

A. If you're at all familiar with New York City then it's painfully obvious that most of the exteriors are not filmed there.

B. If you're at all familiar with NYC's BUDGET then you know that there's no way they have all that high-tech stuff.

The Miami one is just unwatchable, but for me that's because of the casting more than the storylines. David Caruso was great on NYPD Blue but his acting is so affected on this show that it's comical. The blonde chick clearly has no idea what any of her clinical dialogue means. The two guys were indistinguishable from each other; maybe that's why the writers killed one of them off last year.

Collapse -
Oh, one's been killed off? :-)
by drpruner / April 5, 2005 4:25 PM PDT

I think all acting exteriors are in Vancouver these days, for cheap. The establishing shots (as I think they're called) are done in the named city.

Anyway, if I had time for any, I'd watch Sinise just for the joy of it, and his character's back story is unusually good.

I'm soliciting views on Cold Case, so I can convince myself I'm not the only one so fond of such a hokey show. (110% formulaic, for openers.) What do you think?
Regards, Doug in New Mexico, where the Game and Fish officers are in as much danger as many city cops, on starvation wages.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i like it so does my sister
by Mark5019 / April 5, 2005 10:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
I'm fond of telling people "Don't
by drpruner / April 5, 2005 4:17 PM PDT

get your bible information from the entertainment industry!" I guess we should add "... or any other life or death matter, either.!" Happy

I'm guessing also that it's a rare day that a real CSI guy takes over a suspect interview from a detective.

One "flaw" in any crime drama is the compression and 'happy accidents' need to fit the 1 hr. time frame (minus commercial time). Good storytellers can mask it well, and of course we're willing to suspend some belief, or we wouldn't be watching.

IMO, though, the CSI stuff is usually the worst at it. Best IMO is the Law and Order franchise. One problem w/CSI Miami, which is the one with Horatio character, is the attempt to deify the actor David Caruso, which goes back to NYPD Bluemovie. Never could figure it, since he seems to me to be so limited in range.
BTW is the CSI/NY still on? Had a terrific cast- I'd pay money just to see Sinise shaving! The one I saw had a Caruso-deifying ending, come to think.

Drs. I've asked about it always say the medicine is hokey on these things. My GP said he once pulled over near an Albuquerque PD CSI van, but didn't see any hotties. He'll never trust TV again, he says. Happy

One show that irks me because I like it in spite of its obvious flaws is Cold Case. What do you think of it?

Collapse -
Don't you love the music when they're doing lab work?
by Diana Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 11:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
I liked that, too, but I don't have cable
by drpruner / April 6, 2005 6:21 AM PDT

so I can't see it regularly.

Collapse -
So's Law and Order and...
by C1ay / April 6, 2005 9:06 AM PDT
In my opinion some of the scenarios, that lead to the capture of the perp are a little far fetched.

lots of other T.V. dramas. If you want something real watch "Cops".
Collapse -
Seriously, you're right; COPS is good.
by drpruner / April 6, 2005 11:47 AM PDT

Also seriously, I remember a L&O/CI about a young male serial killer. The whole thing seemed farfetched, but who cares when you can watch Vincent D'Onofrio working.
But one of my young school kids exhibits some very strange behavior in which I can see 'life imitating art.' "Ripped from tomorrow's headlines," indeed. (Details withheld so I can keep my job.)

Also the multi-parter about the psycho/lesbian/embezzler/killer had plot holes you could drive a Hummer through, but Olivia D'Abo and Vincent going head-to-head was worth any literary price. ("How was it growing up with a schizophrenic mother, Bobby?")

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!