The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Crysis = awful coding?

by thegibson / July 24, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

I was going to email this in, but I wanted to get other people's take.

I keep hearing about how Crysis is so advanced and ahead of its time that it can only be played the most expensive computers with duel SLI cards and twelve gigs of RAM on a quad-core blah blah blah.

Or.... it could be a terribly coded game.

I know it's big, I know it's beautiful, but come on! My Raedon 9700 (the first ATI card supporting Direct X 9) came out over two full years before Half-Life 2 which was the best looking game on the market at the time, and it played beautifully on that junker. Why on earth would you create a game that no one (or very few) can play?

Blows my mind.

Ethan
Minneapolis

P.S.

Do you think that during development the Crysis team thought PCs would grow more powerful than they actually did?

P.P.S.

I also heard that Crysis might not be a game meant to sell millions of copies, but instead a platform to show of the new engine: CryEngine 2 for licensing, which will make much more money than only one game could on its own.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crysis = awful coding?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crysis = awful coding?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No...
by PressAnyKey / July 24, 2008 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Crysis = awful coding?

The problem is that everyone wants to play it with all the eye candy turned on and at maximum detail. Although the game still looks very attractive at "medium" and even "low" settings everyone got obsessed over the fact that you needed a bleeding edge PC to see it at the maximum settings.

Collapse -
Not bad coding...
by urisage / July 24, 2008 3:16 AM PDT

It might be a bad business decision, but it WAS intentional. Crysis is designed to scale down to hardware from a year or two ago and up to hardware that doesn't exist yet. The idea being that you could play it at release, and then again a year later, and when you played it again it would look significantly better.

I've replayed some old games recently, and it would have been pretty cool if they'd been designed the way Crysis was, since they'd have looked much better - but the games I've replayed are RPGs. FPS doesn't seem like the right genre for what they did.

I think they'd have been better off patching the better settings in later, or unlocking them. The game's beautiful at Medium and High settings; all they really got out of the highest settings being there for people was a reputation of being unplayable.

Collapse -
Sales not that great though...
by thegibson / July 24, 2008 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Not bad coding...

They sacrificed what otherwise is a good game on the altar of graphics just so that the few people who did buy it would enjoy it more if they randomly decided to play it again in a few years? Or so when people are picking it up in the $10 bin at Best Buy they're getting the best $10 game on the market?

Sounds like a very unsound strategy.

Collapse -
(NT) Wow. I'm off to get my 10 buck copy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 5:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
too ahead of time.
by robstak / July 28, 2008 10:59 AM PDT

also coding not bad, its just that complex/

Collapse -
yeah
by Nicholas Buenk / July 28, 2008 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: too ahead of time.

We don't want anything that's too advance, just a little advanced is all that's enough, right? I mean everyone hates a technological revolution, it's the small steps that are best!
*shakes head*

Collapse -
meh, i think i have to disagree...
by robstak / July 29, 2008 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

i mean, i think that if you have a top of the line rig you can run the hell out of crysis maxed out, right? if so then i think thats ok because i vaguely remember the same thing being true even 10 years ago with games like doom and quake, etc. no? maybe not, but its always a race against time, and you are always going to need the latest and the greatest to run the best.

also, i think the market has changed a little bit, i THINK 10 yrs ago top of the line rig would run about 3 grand, but now you can get 7grand rigs, so the price has inflated a lot. but at the same time, the market has largely shifted to cheap computers aound 400 or 500 dollars which can't even run games out of the box. i think its an interesting dichotomy.

finally, i really do appreciate that cry-tek is pushing the limits in gaming, bringing effects to the screen that are just unfreakin believable. i mean when i saw the physics involved i couldnt even believe my eyes. i think that is good for gaming in general.

sooo, i guess it comes down to a matter of opinion, but in the end if you want to play the best game, i think its reasonable to assume you need the best rig.

-karl

Collapse -
Hey..
by Nicholas Buenk / July 29, 2008 12:07 PM PDT

You'll only need to spend about $1500 on a dell XPS computer that can play crysis at near full quality. The game is designed for todays hardware not hardware from 1 year ago, I see nothing wrong with that. Infact it's what more game developers should do.

Collapse -
(NT) o rly? sweet! thanks
by robstak / July 31, 2008 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey..
Collapse -
Here's the July 08 best video card for the buck list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2008 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey..
Collapse -
Crysis is just right
by Edar Lazar / July 24, 2008 10:10 AM PDT

Hello, Can I say I disagree with your statement? Happy

First of all, Crysis does not requires the best PC in the market. I play Crysis on a $600 machine ($600 at the time, now is cheaper). With this machine I was able to play the game with all the settings maxed out. I play over Windows XP, I have to hack the game in order to get the best quality over DirectX 9. With that I was able to get the game running at pretty big resolutions and never drop below 30fps. I don't do overcloking neither.

The secret? I choose the best hardware to play the game. Not always the "best" hardware is the best. If you do some research you can have a pretty good machine for about $800.

I believe is not about awful coding, is about how the software plays with the hardware. Like you say there are some game engines that can recreate wonderful environments with older hardware, this doesn't mean that this engine is better, is just different. The Crysis engine is designed to use all your power, it requires a pretty decent machine, but it offers by far the best quality out there. Since I play Crysis I never see anything even close to it.

Collapse -
Gotta share. This is what I use....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Crysis is just right
Collapse -
Nice.
by thegibson / July 25, 2008 5:43 AM PDT

Great resource!

I loved the tweak guides for HL2 and all of it's mods.

This would help if I didn't have a Radeon 9700 AGP card and a 1.4MHz processor. Happy

It is a damn beautiful game though, isn't it?

Collapse -
Poor choice then?
by thegibson / July 25, 2008 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Crysis is just right

And maybe it's not poor coding, just a poor choice?

The bulk of most games are sold in the first couple weeks after launching (this is a generality) and making a game that cannot be seen in its fully glory by at least a moderate portion of the gaming public seems like it would undermine sales.

It wouldn't do car company any good to launch a million electric cars today becasue the infrastructure isn't there to support them, know what I mean? (This is not a perfect analogy, so no need to "well actually" it. Thanks! :O)

Collapse -
Ohh but it would...
by Nicholas Buenk / July 25, 2008 12:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Poor choice then?

Get the electric cars on the market, and they'll keep being able to sell them as the infrastructure is built. I think Crysis handled it perfectly. They delivered to gamers the most advanced 3d engine. And people will keep buying the game as the hardware catches up.

Collapse -
Get the electric cars on the market, and they'll keep being
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2008 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Ohh but it would...

"Get the electric cars on the market, and they'll keep being able to sell them as the infrastructure is built."

This myth needs to be squashed. Every home I've lived in has the plug needed to recharge. Also, gas stations were not built before the current gas consuming cars hit the (?) road.

Collapse -
Usually...

The chicken and the egg need to develop concurrently. Wink

Collapse -
And look to the past for the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2008 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Usually...

Gas stations didn't happen first. A quick look found those started appearing decades after.

Collapse -
You read the article about....
by Nicholas Buenk / July 26, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

The british tesla competitor with the 10 minute recharge time? But it needs a 3 phase industrial power supply to achieve that.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17912_3-9997197-72.html
This will recharge from homes, but will need more infrastructure for fast recharge.
Still, I think internal combustion is dead.

Collapse -
No....
by Nicholas Buenk / July 24, 2008 7:14 PM PDT

At launch maybe. But Crysis plays fine on mid-range 2008 graphic cards. A $150 graphics card should be enough to put the quality to high.
They made the right choice, aimed the game at the future, and people will keep playing the game for longer than would be usual.

Collapse -
Stop perpetuating the myth.
by themasquerade1013 / July 25, 2008 12:32 AM PDT

<i>I keep hearing about how Crysis is so advanced and ahead of its time that it can only be played the most expensive computers with duel SLI cards and twelve gigs of RAM on a quad-core blah blah blah.</i>

Seriously. This kind of over-exaggeration is what created the myth in the first place.

Collapse -
Myth?
by thegibson / July 25, 2008 5:31 AM PDT

Sorry, myth? A little hyperbole maybe... but not much...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163542

Minimum System Requirements

* OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
* Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)
* Memory - 1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
* Video Card -256 MB**
* Hard Drive - 12GB
* Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

Recommended System Requirements

* OS - Windows XP / Vista
* Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
* Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
* GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

EXTREME TECH: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2222410,00.asp

"Crysis supports DirectX 10 (as well as DX9), and at its highest quality settings, it's able to push modern hardware so hard that almost nothing short of an overclocked dual-graphics system can run the game at its maximum settings without turning into a slideshow."

Collapse -
ie
by Nicholas Buenk / July 25, 2008 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Myth?

A modern computer.
Wink
None of that hardware you list above is anything special or that expensive, it's just new.

Collapse -
Your right...
by themasquerade1013 / July 29, 2008 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Myth?

12 gigs of ram is in no way an exaggeration. ...seriously.

Collapse -
ooookay....
by thegibson / July 29, 2008 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Your right...

I said I used hyperbole. Look it up.

Collapse -
Times have changed. Let me share...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

Many machines could get a huge boost in the graphics speed for not as much as you suspect. Let me share that even the under 100 buck card you find at Tomshardware.com's "Best Video Card for the Money" which is updated monthly may be many times faster than what a machine came with. Here's the link -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-cards,1965.html

Collapse -
Del.icio.us'd!
by thegibson / July 25, 2008 5:44 AM PDT

Thanks. This will come in handy some day soon.

Collapse -
volumetric slowdowns
by MikeThinks / July 25, 2008 1:59 PM PDT

A huge portion of the Crysis slowdowns are volumetric smoke. I can play the game w/ everything on high until I get to a few scenes that have the volumetric smoke/fog. The two areas that were bad for me were a warehouse near the docs, and the cave where the cold blast is initiated.

6600 quad core OC 3.1 ghz
4 gigs ram
geforce 8800gt

Collapse -
Yeah
by Nicholas Buenk / July 25, 2008 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: volumetric slowdowns

I think that's true for most games. Smoke is always slow, I wonder why.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?