Cameras forum

General discussion

Cry for Help!

by waji03 / January 16, 2006 8:46 PM PST

Hi every one

I have recently purchased Canon Powershot A620 and have so far ONLY used it indoor. Since I don't know the tricks of the trade, I am mostly using it on Auto, occasionally turning the dial to preset scenes and a couple of times on Manual mode.

The problem, however, in each case is that the photos are not Sharp and are rather on the darker side. Assuming I am making some mistake on manual mode etc, in AUTO mode, there should not be any problem. But about 90 per cent of the pics that I have shot are on the darker side and are less sharp, with less vibrant colours. I was really sad when I got 32 printouts from a local photo kiosk, nearly all on the darker side and they were sharper neither.

So am I handling it all wrong or is there some problem with my cam?

Secondly, I have bought the canon battery charger with the camera (ensuring it is compatible) but cannon AA rechargeable batteries are rather difficult to have everywhere. SO I was wondering if I could use some other make of 2500 mAp (or higher) rechargeable batteries in that charger, will it be OK? I am confused about which ones to buy, some forums suggest energizer is excellent. Any suggestions.

But I am more concerned about the dark and (less vibrant colours and less and less sharp images (printouts) and that too even on AUTO mode. So please help because I have 14 days time to go back to the shopper and replace or return it. Desperately looking forward to your help guys.

very best

raj

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cry for Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cry for Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon A620
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Cry for Help!

I assume that the photos are too dark when displayed on the screen as well as photos? If not, try a different photo kiosk.

Since you have only taken inside shots, I would suggest that you immediately try outside shots in Auto mode.

If they turn out too dark, I would suspect a camera problem. But I think you will find that they turn out properly.

For your inside shots (without flash), leave the camera in Auto and take photos with the camera setting on a solid surface, like a tabletop. See if that solves your dark photo problem and your soft focus problem.

If you are using a flash for your inside shots and they are too dark, it usually indicates that the subject is too far from the camera. The A620 flash is rated at 13.7 feet with no optical zoom. So try some test shots where your subjects are less than 13 feet away and you are not using any optical zoom. They should be perfectly exposed.

Post back with the results of your outside shots, and your camera on the tabletop shots, and your flash shots.

Then we will better know, how to advise you.

Collapse -
Hope this helps!
by vicki2314 / January 17, 2006 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: Cry for Help!

here are two links to the canon forums at dpreview.com that answer your question:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=16749261

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=16749261

As for the batteries, I too, own an A620 and I bought the Energizer compact rechargeable battery/charger kit and am very happy. These 2500 NiMh batteries have lasted forever!!!! It's $25 at BestBuy right now, I've seen it at Walmart for $18 and I ended up purchasing mine on sale at Target for only $15. Good luck!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?categoryid=cat08110&id=1066095853260&skuid=5700057&type=product&ref=06&loc=01

Collapse -
Oops! Forgot the other link!!
by vicki2314 / January 17, 2006 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: Hope this helps!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?