TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

CRTs and HDMI

by devo6273 / August 21, 2005 10:54 AM PDT

Hello everyone... I am in need of some advice. I recently purchased a Panasonic CT-30WX15 (30") CRT HDTV. I have been using my xbox as my dvd player for now, but I would like to get a progressive scan dvd player, not only for the quality, but also because I just don't like dealing with my xbox to watch movies.

One of the reviews for a progressive scan dvd player here stated that with a CRT, getting an upconverting player with HDMI isn't going to get me noticeably better quality then a plain old progressive scan through component cables. After googling a bit, I can't really seem to find much other info, and am wondering what experience other people have had with this issue.

Any suggestions on what make/model of dvd player to purchase would be much appreciated, as well as some comments on quality of the picture with HDMI vs component. Keep in mind though, I am in college so I pretty much spent most of the money I feel I could spend at this time on my new tv. I'm thinkin something under 150 would be ideal, but if HDMI is really better, then I can always save up for the quality.

Any comments?

Link to my TV model:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=93197&catGroupId=24978&modelNo=CT-30WX15&surfModel=CT-30WX15&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CRTs and HDMI
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CRTs and HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CRTs and HDMI
by jcrobso / August 22, 2005 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: CRTs and HDMI
Collapse -
upconverting dvd players
by devo6273 / August 22, 2005 1:03 PM PDT

Many new dvd players now have HDMI out and upconvert the signal to 720p or 1080i depending on your preference.

Collapse -
DVD player
by terrmul / August 22, 2005 1:58 PM PDT

Stick with a nice quality progressive scan DVD player, the Denon 1720 is pretty good for $150.

Use component cables. An upconverting DVD player in your price range is going to be mediocre at best. I defy anyone to really pick the difference between two TV's one with HDTV and one with EDTV in a 30".

HDMI has issues to this day, we often get service calls due to HDMI connections.

Terry Mulholland
CEO/Owner
Beyond Home Theater
www.beyondhometheater.com

Collapse -
: DVD player
by jcrobso / August 23, 2005 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD player

My feeling is that HDMI on HD-DVD will be worth it, but only when they settle the HD-DVD fromat wars. John

Collapse -
problem solved
by stewart norrie / August 23, 2005 5:34 AM PDT

I spent a ton of money trying to get a good picture from my d.v.d. player. I ran d.v.i interface from my hi-def satellite box to the t.v. and componit vidio interface from my d.v.d player So I bought the denon 2910 d.v.d. player with d.v.i. output and a Gifin d.v.i switcher and now the d.v.d. picture is awsome note you can get an adapter from h.d.m.i to d.v.i this really worked for me just make sure you switch your d.v.d. player to 1080 good luck stewart norrie just post a reply to me on this chat room

Collapse -
CRT Size?
by devo6273 / August 23, 2005 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: problem solved

oh really? I assume you are talking about a CRT television, but what size screen is it?

Lots of people who have responded to me (here, avsforums, etc) have said that on a 30'' monitor the difference wouldn't be noticeable

Collapse -
a regular progressive scan player will be fine...
by snoopy2 / August 23, 2005 5:46 AM PDT

i agree with what you've already heard: you won't notice much improvement, if any, with an upconverting DVD player at your price point. i'd recommend the panasonic DMR-ES10...right around a $150 now at costco. it's also a DVD recorder and your two remotes will work very nicely on both components.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.