TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

CRT vs. LCD picture quality? Help

by IsItYourName / August 22, 2006 12:35 PM PDT

I want a new tv that has HDTV and I'd like one that's light and easy to carry since I live in apartments and might move regularly with only my family (all girls)as help. Right now I have a 27" flat screen tube tv and it's so bulky and heavy, we can barely lift it together. I also want something that will last a long time. My current RCA is only 3 years old and is already going out several times daily, so I won't even consider that brand.

I'm considering getting an lcd, preferably a 32" since that's the biggest I can afford-- there was a 32" Samsung at Best Buy that I liked. I watch tv- cable and network, not all HD- and movies a lot, so I want something w/ a really a good picture for everything and good colors (don't care how video games look).

However, after reading reviews here it seems like LCDs have a lot of image quality problems and need a lot of tweaking to get a good picture. Without seeing for myself it can be hard to see what people mean by poor image and people probably have different standards. If someone could answer my questions, that'd be helpful. I'm not very tech savvy, so choosing a tv has become daunting.

-Do lcds have a worse image than CRTs in some cases?

-The guy at best buy told me lcds don't look that great w/ regular cable, so I'd want digital cable. But what if I can't get digital cable where I move? I'd hate to spend $2000 on a tv and end up w/ a crappy picture, or one no better than what I've got w/ my analog tube now (which usually is pretty good).

-Do lcds only have great image quality for HD channels?
-My sis has a small (maybe 20") lcd (forget the brand, but not well known) and the picture (imo) is bad. But I hooked up a tube in her room and the picture is much better-why is that?

So now I'm thinking maybe I should buy a slimfit tube tv since they come in hdtv too and they're cheaper (hopefully lcds will improve and decrease in price in the next few years).
-I haven't seen one at the store (I was only thinking lcds at the time), so does anyone know if they're easy to move?

-Is the picture from an hdtv tube tv as good as an lcd? Is it better in some cases?

-Any suggestions for a good one?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CRT vs. LCD picture quality? Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CRT vs. LCD picture quality? Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CRT vs. LCD picture quality? Help
by jcrobso / August 23, 2006 1:06 AM PDT

Well my girls got married and now I have 3 young, strong son-in-laws to help me do the heavy stuff.
Yes CRTs have the best picture!!! Yes they are heavy!!!!
Just like you PC monitor have different resoultions, a CRT HDTV will change resoultions to fit the signal source.
LCD,PLasma,DLP and LCoS set can not do this.
This is why CRT looks the best on ALL kinds of video.

Hopefully one of the BBY or CC form members will give you suggestions about which is the best slim line to buy. I remember there was some posting last year about problems.
I have 26" Phillips HD-CRT in the bedroom, great picture, it wieghts 89lbs. John

Collapse -
CHECK OUT THE SONY CRT KD-34XBR970.......
by Riverledge / August 23, 2006 8:53 AM PDT

IT LISTS for $1199.oo. Not as great as the 960, but it is a widescreen 34''(16:9) tube for HDTV viewing. Real down side is that it weighs almost 200lbs. Very good picture and has a two year warranty on parts, labor, and tube.

I've read mixed reviews on the SAMSUNG ''Slim-Fit'' sets. Supposedly they are better now, but they are 30'' models.

Good shopping, river.

Collapse -
CRt all the way.
by gabereyes / August 23, 2006 12:54 PM PDT

Crt is really a better picture then LCD because CRT can hit a better black level witch will make colors pop out more and make images look more 3D, can convert res better from 480 to 1080 lines, and they are cheaper so you will have some spare money too buy a two wheeler. lol

good luck.

P.S. the sony xbr960 is the best one to look for.

Collapse -
Check out EDTVs
by Dan Filice / August 25, 2006 4:26 PM PDT

You should check out the EDTV (Extended Definition TV) LCDs. They are a great option if you aren't concerned about getting HD at the moment. They make regular cable look great because the resolution is 768 X 586 or something like that. They're not HD so they're not taking a lousy picture and trying to up-res it to fill all of the high-def resolution. They make regular DVD players look great (regular DVDs are 480p). They will look better than most CRTs when displaying an HD channel because they have higher resolution than most CRTs. And, the EDTVs are lighter than CRTs (because they are LCDs) and they are MUCH cheaper than HDTVs. This could be the option you are seeking: Lighter than CRTs and a comparable or even better picture.

Collapse -
PERSONAL OPINION,,,,,,,,,, AVOID EDTV'S!!!
by Riverledge / August 26, 2006 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Check out EDTVs

NOT WHAT YOU WANT.
SCREW PRICE.
YOU'LL JUST BE DISAPPOINTED.
NOT BAD IF YOU'RE BLIND.

Collapse -
Quality EDTV's Are Excellent
by RoadRunner6 / August 26, 2006 2:05 PM PDT

I couldn't disagree more because I have a 20 month old 42'' EDTV JVC plasma.

Last weekend I watched the Seahawks/Colts game on NBC. It was obviously an HDTV broadcast. The picture from my regular Comcact cable antenna input (no cable box) was excellent. I have seen many high quality HDTV pictures. This is very close.

Generally the standard TV signals are very good to excellent. Recently I moved one of my Sony 27'' Trinitron's to the gargage and temporarily set it up in the living room next to my plasma for a comparison. This TV has the typical Sony excellent quality CRT picture. The JVC EDTV plasma was noticably better in all respects, brighter and much better color.

When I purchased it I watched an HDTV feed to it from an OTA antenna from a NFL broadcast. The picture was superb! Moral of the story is that a top quality EDTV plasma fed a top quality signal gives a very good picture.

This will only get better as there is more and more top quality signals.

I now it sounds impossible when you look at it considering the specs. 480p versus 720p versus 1081i. The 720p/1080i have to be far superior to the 480p EDTV, right? Not true. It is not a linear comparison. Most people cannot tell the different between EDTV and HDTV plasmas (equal top quality models) at 10 feet.

Most important of all is to buy the best quality TV you can, Whether it is EDTV or HDTV. Many wise reviewers have made the statement that they would take a top quality EDTV any day over a mediocre HDTV.

You don't see any posts here about my complaining that my plasma gets poor quality picture on SD programs like I see from so many posters. BTW, I'm 62 years old and just testede 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. (all that clean living!...well except for all the beer I used to drink before my cardiologist made me quit)

RR6 Happy

Collapse -
RR6 just got my eyes checked E.D.T.V question
by stewart norrie / August 27, 2006 4:55 AM PDT

720 sets do look good. but I notice when I watch hi-def over the air channels and the comercials come on they are broadcast in 480 720 or 1080I, well the 720 picture does look nice but 1080I is eyepopping. This is why I would never recomend a e.d.t.v. to anyone, Also true 1080I sets are so affordable now that buying a e.d.t.v. would be a waste of money my opinion only. always nice to chat with you stewee

Collapse -
ED is not a waste of money
by gabereyes / August 27, 2006 1:43 PM PDT

if your looking at price a good ED set like a 42 Panasonic plasma compared to a HD plasma for the same price like maxent, HP, akia, ESA, or lower end name brands the ED will still win a picture quality stand off, not because of res but because of Black level, accuracy of color, contrast, and overall edge qaulity.

Res is only one thing like horsepower if one Car has 300hp and the second car has 200hp that doesnt mean the first car well win a race, you cant forget the other details like wieght, front/rear/or all wheel drive, aerodynamics, front/mid/or rear engine, transmision, tires, automatic or manual, and does it have a turbo or not, anyways you get the picture res is a very little detail not everything.

but im still a CRT fan all the way, and so are most videophiles, my second choice would be plasma, sorry LCD is the last choice for me to many down falls in picture quality for me, I dont care how thin and cool looking they are.

good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?