TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

CRT vs. CRT-RP? For main TV...

by norlfolkcentral / January 23, 2006 1:56 PM PST

Other than being too leary of both plasma and DLP, until their gremlins have been worked out, and the Sony
SXRD's too expensive; this is what i've narrowed it to.
Sony has several 34" tubes, and 30" as well. I have also been looking at Samsungs Slim-Fit sets. I'd be willing to buy the Sony 36" (4:3 ratio) sx955. I think Sony makes one RP these days. 51" is it a decent television?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CRT vs. CRT-RP? For main TV...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CRT vs. CRT-RP? For main TV...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
go with widescreen
by masterying01 / January 23, 2006 2:08 PM PST

thats the most important thing. the 36xs955 is fullscreen so you'll always get bars on top and bottom...or the picture will be stretched and distorted.

i love sony's crt projos. very good picture, very good price, and built like a tank. their HD xs and xbr model tubes are also very good...although a lot of them are getting harder to find. their HS model HD crt's are not as great in my opinion. if you are looking into their HS models...i'd say check out the slimfit's.

samsung's older slimfit 30inch was great...but the speakers on the side make it really bulky and very ugly in my opinion. for around the same price now, samsung has a new slimfit out with speakers on the bottom and it looks very sleek like a plasma/lcd...but with the picture quality of a tube. i'd definitely check it out if you have a chance. downside...most stores wont have HD going into their tube tv's..so it wont look that good. we have yet to get any in so i can't hook it up to hd to make a judgement about it.

Collapse -
Yes wide screen!!
by jcrobso / January 24, 2006 11:28 PM PST

Samsung still makes a table top CRT-RP, comes in 43", 47" and 52". I have the 47" one great picture does 1080i. John

Collapse -
Can't find the Samsung models on -line.
by norlfolkcentral / January 26, 2006 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Yes wide screen!!

What about Toshiba and Mitsu? Any current model numbers I should look for? Or are CRT-RP just dinosaurs?

Collapse -
Personally I love the SONY KD-34XBR960(N) whatever......
by Riverledge / January 25, 2006 10:03 AM PST

I've never really considered a rear-projection because of their size. My viewing area is restricted enough that side-angles would not be a factor. Are they better now; do they even make them anymore? Closeouts? I know Sony, Toshiba, Mitsu... used to
build them.
Help Stewart.

river.

Collapse -
yea, they are better now
by masterying01 / January 25, 2006 2:18 PM PST

the crt-rp from sony right now in my opinion is great for viewing angles....even though its still big bulky...and its still a rp so the viewing angle will never be that of a regular crt tv.

a lot of companies sitll make it. sony, toshiba, hitachi, mitsu, etc...but its just harder to find.

Collapse -
CRT vs. CRT-RP? For main TV...
by jcrobso / January 27, 2006 12:00 AM PST

Durning the 4~5 months I spent looking at HDTV before I got my Samsung CRT-RP, I would go into a store and look for the CRT-RP TVs and use them as the "standard" to compaire the other TVs. The other sets I liked as much were the Sony and JVC LCoS sets and some hight end plasmas.
With the Samsung costing $999.97 at Sam's club I have a LOT of money left over to upgrade my HT reciver, Dish reciver and DVD player.
My old TV was a 32" CRT. wieghts 200lb. the new 47" CRT-RP wieghts 85lb. And is the same depth as the 32". John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?