Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Crt Monitors for photography work

by GTAMANIAC81 / April 8, 2006 5:16 AM PDT

I'm interested in buying a 21" crt for work in PSCS2. I was out today and found a used gateway diamondtron vx920 and a viewsonic pf79 professional series. I believe they are about 5 or 6 years old. Prices are around $100-200each. Does anyone know if these are too outdated or will they produce true blacks and color acuracy? Both of these above monitors are 19" but the owner said he could probably find the 21" versions. Any suggestions on more current model crts are most welcome. Thanks, Owen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crt Monitors for photography work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crt Monitors for photography work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The owner said he could 'find' the 21" versions? What is
by Kiddpeat / April 8, 2006 11:17 AM PDT

he going to do, check in the back room? Run, don't walk, for the exit.

I don't think anyone can tell you what these monitors will look like. What do you think they look like? Have you seen some of your images displayed on them?

Collapse -
crt monitors
by GTAMANIAC81 / April 8, 2006 1:34 PM PDT

Wow, your a wealth of positive feedback. I think someone could tell me what these monitors might look like if they owned one. That was the idea behind the question. I think I'll just stick with asking questions on nikonians web site. They seem to be a bit more informative.

Collapse -
They still might. Mine's a NEC MultiSync, so no help
by Kiddpeat / April 9, 2006 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: crt monitors

here. Good luck.

Collapse -
CRT Monitors
by taboma / April 11, 2006 4:17 PM PDT

owenpga,
Save your money and invest in a current Viewsonic professional graphic display. I purchased a 19" CRT G90fb a year and a half ago. The color is right-on with the software controlling the calibration. Really nice and the price is right. Under $300.
You may aso look into the LCD Model VP930B 19" for $374.
Same color calibration wizzard to keep the colors correct. A small footprint and pick up some desk space.
I just may look into this also. I have been tracking this model.

The LCD VP2130B measures 21.3" is available for $663.
Check each one out. The 19" looks like the right one as far as I am concerned.
Buy.com just had the 19" VP on sale last week. Sale is no longer available for that model. Was tempting to spring for it. But I hate rebate offers!!
Even if I could get it for under $300. You may see the offer come up next month or so. Be patient.

Anyone like rebate offers or trust them?
I applied for rebates and never received them. Some companies are better than others it seems.

Want a hoot? Go to woot.com for real bargains. The website is wild!
You won't believe it. EdH posted on it about a month ago.
Unbelievable site from Assannippi, MA. Web only sales.
The webmaster is a genious and really a fun writer.
He had a fun story about rebates three weeks ago.

-Kevin

Collapse -
monitors
by GTAMANIAC81 / April 11, 2006 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: CRT Monitors

Kevin, Thanks for the info. I will certainly check these monitors out. Thanks, Owen

Collapse -
Monitors
by taboma / April 12, 2006 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: monitors

Owen, me too!
Viewsonic is my choice so far for a LCD or CRT.
Based on my experience with Viewsonic in the past year and a half. Excellent guarantee on their products also.
I should be a salesman for them and receive a commission don't you think?
Kidding aside, the CRT monitor is impressive. Good color, calibration wizzard software and great sharpness.
Here is an example to view from a Photoshop file:
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5493/outoffocusbeauty3do.jpg

Color and clarity are exceptional on the Viewsonic.

Anyone out there that has the VP930B, 19" LCD or the VP2130B 21.3" monitor to send info to us here? Would help us all.
Especially Owen and I.
Thanks,

-Kevin

Collapse -
I don't like rebates, but, if it's offered for the product I
by Kiddpeat / April 12, 2006 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: CRT Monitors

want to buy, it's a nobrainer. I just have to be sure that I don't lose the paperwork, and that I file on time. The mfgr is, of course, hoping you won't do what's necessary to collect.

Collapse -
Rebates
by taboma / April 12, 2006 11:01 AM PDT

Kiddpeat, the only rebate offer that I had a hard time with was from Symantic for a $50 rebate last year.
You could not read their rebate address. The cruds that they are!
I said to myself screw-them after trying to telephoning them and sending them emails.
You guessed it, never a reply back! Crudbuckets and a lousy product.
Do not ever use Spring Cleaning on a Mac if you have this product. Others have posted similar posts concerning Symantic/Norton wiped out their computer recently.

Live and learn the hard way!

By the way, I like the instant rebates offered by manufacturers.
Not waiting for ten weeks to receive it.

-Kevin

Collapse -
I'm slowly migrating to Zone Alarm myself.
by Kiddpeat / April 12, 2006 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Rebates

I still have a few Norton things I run including Ghost and their anti-virus.

Collapse -
Ghosts?
by taboma / April 13, 2006 2:23 PM PDT

?Spook the heck out of me. Specially Symantic ghosts! :

Collapse -
ViewSonic
by ScarBoro55-tv / April 21, 2006 12:05 AM PDT

I have had a ViewSonic 21" (.24dp) for the past 7 years and as long as it holds out I will keep it. It has been used extensibly in my multimedia business and has performed well beyond my expectations. It is the only monitor I have owned that does not need to be color calibrated constantly to keep it accurate to print output. Of course, with all CRT's, burn in is an issue, but my ViewSonic's phosphorus is still strong after 7 years of quite heavy usage.

good luck

Steve
Datum Point Media

Collapse -
Viewsonic 21" CRT
by taboma / April 27, 2006 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: ViewSonic

Good info to know. Seven years is a long time to have it still performing professionally.
Shows the value of the Viewsonic.
I had an Apple 19" CRT that blew up after 2 and a half years of minor usage. One huge BANG!!! Scared the living heck out of me sitting in front of it!!
I still want to gut the thing and turn it into a fish tank. I think that it would be a fun project to do :

Collapse -
That sounds like a GREAT use for an Apple.
by Kiddpeat / April 28, 2006 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Viewsonic 21" CRT
Devil
Collapse -
Old Apple CRT Monitor
by taboma / April 28, 2006 3:46 PM PDT

Kiddpeat, I used to have a 75 gallon freshwater fish tank until the darn thing cracked and I had hundreds of fish flapping in about 1 inch of water on my living room floor. The water spread and was running down my cellar stairs like a waterfall.
Interesting memories for me.
Also the Apple 19" CRT that scared the heck out of me when the CRT tube blew! What a BANG!!! Didn't bother me that much since I bought it for $50 while only 6 months old.
The case is interesting to use as a fish tank holder inside of it.
I could probably get a ten gallon tank and all the pumps, filters and lighting to sit inside of it.
Ask the college kids if they can think of a solution to the Apple frame. Looks aquatic with it's blue and white colors and shape.
Would be really a fun project to accomplish.
Want to help me with the project or just turn the frame into an aquatic planter? :

Collapse -
So where are my fish??
by taboma / May 3, 2006 2:28 PM PDT

Get with it and have your design buddies come up with a plan.
I want to do this. True!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Viewsonic 21" CRT
by taboma / May 3, 2006 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: ViewSonic

ScarBoro55, I received my new 21-1/2" Viewsonic LCD today.
An VX2025wm. Haven't set it up yet.
Looks like it would be good for all wide multi-media, including a TV.
I purchased it for my graphics monitor using a Macintosh.
Main use is for Adobe Photoshop.
The unit has a color-calibration software called the wizzard or such.
Should be great with Photoshop.
True color.
I will tell you about this next week after I have it installed.

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.