Peripherals forum

General discussion

crt monitor "sizzles" on bootup w/vibrating yellow screen

by 27dust / January 26, 2011 3:43 AM PST

Windows xp system
Dell Precision 650 workstation - 8 years old
nVidia quadro4 900xgl graphics card - refurbished 6 mo. old

Nanao FlexScan FX C6 Monitor (14 YEARS OLD)

Over the past year on bootup my monitor makes a loud "sizzling" or "hissing" sound and the image vibrates on the screen to the point now where I cannot read the text or even tell that it is text now. The hissing and vibrating has gotten progressively worse - louder and increased vibration.
All the above problems suddenly disappears when the "Log on" Window appears, and suddenly everything is fine and back to normal.
Early on the image would vibrate at times even up to the time the desktop screen would appear and then gradually go back to normal after a few minutes.

In a separate issue over the past 2-3 months the image on the screen has turned yellow. This starts on bootup and remains and does not go away. i.e. everything I view has a yellow cast to it. I checked the graphics card, cables, connections, pins. Everything is well seated and appears fine.
I did not replace the cable.
For a brief period the yellow went away but came back shortly after.

About a 1-1/2 months ago I got a "bluescreen of death" (in this case it was a gray screen, since I think the blue does not show) It said to check the video card or update the driver if problem continues. I did not change or update since this particular problem has not appeared again.

The monitor is 14 years old.

Any idea what the problems are?
Suggestions?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: crt monitor "sizzles" on bootup w/vibrating yellow screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: crt monitor "sizzles" on bootup w/vibrating yellow screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
one more comment I forgot to mention
by 27dust / January 26, 2011 4:21 AM PST

If I boot or reboot on a warm computer and warm monitor,
there is no sizzling sound and the vibrating image is much less,
appearing as if I am seeing double images slightly offset.
If I hold the boot screen for say 20 minutes, the vibrating image
gradually disappears (appears more normal) from the top left screen
and finally down to the bottom right screen. Even after 20 minutes I can still
detect upon close inspection, the words on the right side of the screen
still vibrating very slightly. Maybe after an hour or so the vibration
would possibly go away. I did not want to wait that long.

Any ideas on what the problem is or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Collapse -
How large is this CRT?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 26, 2011 4:30 AM PST

I'm just mentioning because I used to have a 25" CRT monitor, and it de-gaussed every time I turned it on with a large 'crack' of sound and the image wobbled for sometime, ( a good few seconds).

I understood at the time that this was normal for my large CRT.

I would guess that the problem with the colors you are having may be related to the video card, and not the monitor, but I will let others discuss that.

Mark

Collapse -
At 14 years of age, I'm not surprised
by Steven Haninger / January 26, 2011 6:29 AM PST

You are probably just seeing the affects of age and longer warmup times to stabilize the circuitry. The hissing might just be high voltage arcing in the area of deteriorated insulation on wiring to the envelope or even through dust and dirt. Automatic degaussing, as noted in the other post, might account for the initial turn on shake but that should last only a second or two. I think your monitor has had it's day. Use it for what you can but be prepared to let it go.

Collapse -
hiss-vibrating disappear with "log-on" window. Yellowing?
by 27dust / January 26, 2011 7:07 AM PST

Thanks Mark and Steven.
I actually have a very small 17" monitor.
It use to never hiss or image vibrate at all until a year ago, and gets worse.

Yes it's quite old.
The curious thing is, as soon as the "log-on" screen appears,
the hissing and image vibration disappear completely and suddenly.
I get a lot of dust and in 14 years have never opened up the monitor to clean it -
unlike the tower. Worth trying to clean interior? or just get ready to
read its last rites.

Also, what about the yellowing. Any answers here?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Partial explanation
by Steven Haninger / January 26, 2011 7:51 AM PST

Your video driver and settings happen after POST and the initial Windows start. The refresh rate and resolution will change to whatever you've set it to. This involves some switching of gears within the monitor's circuitry and could account for the improvement in the image. You may even hear a click from inside the monitor when this happens. That's normal behavior for CRTs. I don't know about the yellowing but your CRT will have 3 color beams and it sounds like one goes missing. This could be the video card, cable, a bad connection somewhere, etc. There's no telling for sure but at 14 years I'd say you got your money's worth. That's probably twice what I'd expect most to last.

Collapse -
Prepare...
by Willy / January 26, 2011 11:30 AM PST

As already stated to you, this is an old CRT monitor, you got your moneys worth be prepared to toss (or recycle)it. If you like open CRT case and blow out the dust bunnies, because is a major factor is noise making as it allows HV leaks or a path for it until it stabilizes. Take care not to touch anything when open, just a good blowing out. If the problem continues, replace or have another ready. In my area, the local Goodwill and Sal. Army have used CTTs for sale and Craigslist is bound to give free CRTs away for the asking or curb service. If you like, now maybe a good time to think LED monitor, these are very good displays and again, many are available for low cost new and used. A decent 19in. isn't bad in price, checkout: http://www.newegg.com and others for price comparison.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Safe mode check and Looking into new monitor
by 27dust / January 27, 2011 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Prepare...

Thanks Steven and Willy,

You mentioned video driver settings happen after post. I restarted in safe mode with the system driver and the same image vibration and yellowing occurred. I am guessing this tells me it is not the video card or driver at least in regard to the image vibration.

I am looking into new monitors. Did some research on the IPS monitors. Some are actually decently priced competitive with mid to lower priced TN monitors.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
IPS monitors
by Steven Haninger / January 27, 2011 5:11 AM PST

I've heard good things about the Dell U2311H. It doesn't have an HDMI input if you need that, however. I'm considering IPS for my next LCD if it ever dies. I'm still not that crazy about wide screen dominating the market but that's how it goes. Good luck.

Collapse -
IPS monitors - U2311H
by 27dust / January 27, 2011 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: IPS monitors

Thanks Steven,
I read a number of reviews on the U2211H the last few days, the 21.5" version and little sister to the U2311H. Except for the size they seemed to rate the same with a slight edge to the U2311H. Reviews were quite positive. I don't need the HDMI. I don't do gaming. I do use 3D CAD / renderings and do photo editing, and MS Office stuff. On a limited budget the U2211H may be a good fit for me. Yes, the wide screen format irritates me - As I see my photos stretched out on these screens. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.