TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

CRT HDTV reccomendation.

by vonchiz / June 17, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

I am currently looking at a replacement for my 27in samsung crt, I had a mitsubishi before that and loved it, It had a lot of features, I had the mitsubishi for 4 years and got it for free, I just needed to fix it and it worked well for 4yrs. It eventually died and I replaced it with a samsung 27in crt had it for a little over 2 1/2 years, It worked well but I don't think the picture quality was that great, the mitsubishi was better, in this tv I have to set volume to 27 in daytime to get good results and the old used to be 12 plenty loud, wanna use receiver only for games and movies, not waste power on standar cable. I am gonna prerelease the PS3 and want an HDTV, my set currently runs up to 720i, I want at least 1080i and HDMI, possibly 16:9 ration. Some good sound quality out of the box. Sticking to CRT because more quality and it's more affortable. I think LCD's technology was pushed not because of necessity but because of convenience and style.

I have been looking at the sony KD-36XS955 (36in) KD-34XBR970 (34in) and KD-34XBR960 (34 in a little older but more features). I would love an mitsubishi but I don't think they made hdtv tubes in a long while.
Please list the sets you recommendations.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CRT HDTV reccomendation.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CRT HDTV reccomendation.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SONY TUBE A GREAT CHOICE
by stewart norrie / June 17, 2006 6:45 AM PDT

Just make sure you order a hi-def cable or satillate system and use either d.v.i. or a h.d.m.i. cable, The basic hi-def package is awsome and worth every penny. I have the dish hi-def system with basic+ hi-def and VOOM + over the air network hi-def channels its very affordable and will give you a feast of hi-def programming.The only problem once you start watching your t.v. you will spend your life davings on your 5.1. sound system and snack bar good luck and please post any questions you may have stewart

Collapse -
CRT is the best
by sbrasch99 / June 17, 2006 10:22 AM PDT

I have a Sony 34XRB960 and am very pleased with the excellent pictures it provides. Have looked at all the flat screen TVs and none have approched the picture quality of this CRT, the britness, color, sharpeness viewing angle perception and dark back ground are beyond that of flat panal TVs.If you can still find the 34XRB960 look and compare it. Or if it is no longer available in your area compare the other Sony CRTs to flat panel TVs.

Marc

Collapse -
I seen the 34XRB960
by vonchiz / June 17, 2006 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: CRT is the best

I've seen the 34XRB970 but I think it's the crippled version of 34XRB960. Does it have gaming mode? a built in hd turner?
Hopefully this deliver even more quality than the mitsubishi before it died, will miss it. too bad they don't go beyond 36in, with all the advances you would think that they would have made them lighter. I have a fw900 sony 24in crt monitor for my pc and I love it, if anyone tries to steal this they will have a hard time and should get a medal if they manage to get far with it 100lbs.
does anyone know if 34XRB960 (36in) is 16:9?

Collapse -
34XRB960 Aspect Ratio
by sbrasch99 / June 18, 2006 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I seen the 34XRB960

Yes the XRB960 has a 16.9 aspect ratio setting. There is one thing I have noticed no one on this forum has mentioned the 4 aspect ratios (1.33:1)(1.78:1= 16X9)(1.85:1)(2.35:1) that the movie industries have used in thier filming. This is some what of a pain since no HDTV manufactured can automatically adjust for this. Nor has over the air tranmissions, cable and/or the DVD industry tryed to correct this problem. It can be corrected by whats called ''High-defintion anamorphic transfer''. So what is the pain the HDTV manufactures provide 4 selections to adjust for this, they are ''Normal, Full, Zoom, and Wide Zoom'' No matter which is used there will be some clipping and/or distortion to the picture. One thing most people do not know is on the back side of the DVD movie boxes the aspect ratio is given and a selection can be made for your preference. This selction of DVDs normally can be found at better stores.

The 34XRB960 Has both tunners (ATSC & NTSC) It has the capability to recieve ''Of the air, Cable and Satellite transmissions.

You should search the internet to find the problems people have had with the 34XRB690 and other makes. there is nothing that is perfect.

Marc

Collapse -
are u sure it's 34XRB960
by vonchiz / June 18, 2006 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: 34XRB960 Aspect Ratio

can't find anything online on the model # 34XRB960

Collapse -
Sorry
by sbrasch99 / June 18, 2006 4:19 AM PDT

I interchanged the letters it is an XBR (34XBR960)

The bad part is Sony discontinued the manufacture of this HDTV set. You may still find a store that has them, such as ABT. Chech around. The recent prices where about $ 1300.00, the original was $2200.00.

Good luck, you may still become a winner even if you can not find one. Electronics changes so fast there will be something even better soon.

Marc

Collapse -
Does anyone recommend the 36in version
by vonchiz / June 18, 2006 5:17 AM PDT

Does anyone recommend the 36in version, noone has mentioned it yet.

Collapse -
I have the 36
by kenjacy / June 18, 2006 8:52 AM PDT

I have the exact 36in Sony model you asked about. It's great. The picture is terrific, of course, and I was even impressed with the sound though I typically use a much more expensive sound system for that purpose. As far as I'm concerned, this is the perfect TV for the current programming that's available. You get both the maximum standard and HD screen size (well, ok, more like 33in HD) that's available in a Sony CRT, which is nice since the majority of stations and programming out there are still 480i. Black bars don't bother me in the slightest and I really don't know why they bother anyone. Personally, I would be willing to pay more for this model than for the 34in models (shhh, don't tell Sony), but it actually costs less (apparently for the still perceived novelty of "wide screen" sets - I don't know).
The only quirk with having the 36in set is that you might be annoyed at first when a standard def program being broadcast on an HD channel appears extra small (being sqeezed into the HD window, essentially double-black barring it). However, just tune to the corresponding standard def channel to get it in the full 36in (or alternately use the "zoom" function, though it clips the image a little). This is a complete non-issue, but seems to scare a lot of people at first.
As far as I know the picture quality is exactly the same as the more expensive 34in Sony model. I forget the details, but when I made my purchase I did all the research and discovered they use the exact same tubes or crt projection technology... something like that. Two negatives: 1) 240lbs, and 2) these sony sets need better elctromagnetic shielding, I had to move my paradigms a couple feet away so as to not affect coloration, but I'm sure that's true with the 34 inch sets as well. Shielding was never an issue with my old crappy-in-every-other-way 36in toshiba. CRTs are still the way to go, and my biggest fear is that all this flat panel appeal to the masses is forcing an obvious sacrifice in image quality. I still haven't seen an LCD or plasma etc with better picture; it's just too bad we can't get 50in, 700lb crts.

Collapse -
are specs of the 36in identical to the 34in
by vonchiz / June 18, 2006 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I have the 36

are specs of the 36in identical to the 34in, so the 36inch is 16:9, sweet, today I was at cambridge soundworks, they said they had a few 34inch KD-34XBR960 for 1,300 used with minor cosmetic problems, 2 year warantee. I would love to see if I can find the 36in ver, I want the real state.

Collapse -
Specs are not the same
by sbrasch99 / June 18, 2006 11:32 AM PDT

The 34XBR960 has much more features then the 36XBR970.

Only to name a few:

(1) Three more audio and vidio input connections.

(2) Plus an audio and monitor outputs. Of course the vidio output will not function if encrypted DRM junk is envolved.

(3) Has an input for a cable card for HD cable, no need for a remote converter box if your cable provider has the cards.

(4) It has 1400 lines of horizontal resolution.

(5) 15 watt subwoofer and 2 tweeters.

ellover009 go to the dealer and look at the specs for both units and compare.

Marc

Collapse -
I meant KD-36XS955 (36in) and 34XBR960 (34in) are the specs
by vonchiz / June 18, 2006 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Specs are not the same

I meant KD-36XS955 (36in) and 34XBR960 (34in) are the specs similar besides size, and wich is best?

Collapse -
KD-36XS955 Specs
by sbrasch99 / June 19, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

The best I can tell you after having reviewed the specs to compare the two units. They both are somewhat similar, however the 34XBR960 has a lettle more functions available.

(1) There are no i-link (Also known as USB, used for plug & play, computer and etc.) connections at all.

(2) Other then the i-link connection missing the 36XS955 has all the same audio & vidio connecters front an back.

(3) The 36XS955 has a port for a cable card, thats good it could eliminate the requirement of an external cable box, provided your cable Co. uses the card.

(4) The remotes are not the same.

(5) I could not find the number of line horizontal resolution specified.

It would be best to review the specs for your self, as there is too much info to type on this message board.

Good Luck

Marc

Collapse -
ELOVER Sony KD36XS955 $1499
by stewart norrie / June 18, 2006 8:46 AM PDT

Should be a great t.v. dependable awsome picture and the best part no one would dare to rip it off. It would probably take 4 people to move it who cares, Yess for $1500 great choice stewart

Collapse -
Try $1100 at Amazon
by kenjacy / June 18, 2006 8:56 AM PDT

as stated in title

Collapse -
Sony CRT is good, but not worth the price.
by sleeeves / June 19, 2006 2:13 AM PDT

I would suggest either Samsung 30'' Slimfit, or LG 30'' slimfit. They are both 1080i capable, hdmi, component, and LESS THAN $1000, unlike the sony.

If you are going to spend more than $1000 you are much better off with a flat panel. Samsung, Philips, and even sony all have sub $1500 32'' 16x9 LCD's some with 2 hdmi inputs.

CRT does offer a good picture, but CRTs don't last as long as they used to, as you have stated in your post.

If you want to spend less than $1000, go CRT.
If you want to spend more, go LCD. There really is no downside to an LCD.
They weigh less, take up less space, easier to move(especially for hooking up new devices).

Collapse -
Does anyone know of any good mitsubishi screens?
by vonchiz / June 19, 2006 10:21 AM PDT

Does anyone know of any good mitsubishi screens?

Collapse -
YOU MIGHT HAVE AN EASIER TIME FINDING................
by Riverledge / June 19, 2006 10:30 AM PDT

SONY'S 34SX955 MODEL, which was discontinued more recently than the XBR960. Good luck.

river.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?