General discussion

crossover cable

I have a dell laptop with windows and a mini wifi card. Also, a gateway with windows xp home 2002 service pack 3.
1. If I use a crossover cable, will I be able to use the laptops wifi connection on the gateway desktop?
2. If so can someone give me setup instructions for the two?

Discussion is locked
Reply to: crossover cable
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: crossover cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
- Collapse -
Possible but a real pain

You're going to need to use what's called ICS which means "internet connection sharing". This requires some very specific IP addressing configurations. You'll need to modify these in your router and set your Dell to a specific IP address and your Gateway to a static address as well. MS has instructions on how to do this so I'll just give you these basics for now until you make your decision. A better way, if your Gateway has a card slot is just to get a wifi card for it as well. Sooooo much easier this way.

- Collapse -
Re: connection sharing

That called Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and, although it works if correctly setup, it's somewhat outdated. The common solution nowadays is to use a wireless router (I assume you have one) and for each machine either use a cable or a wireless device.

So my advice is to buy a Wifi Adapter (Ethernet or USB) for your desktop and install that. Here's a USB example:

If you really want to try the ICS route, tells you how. But I shouldn't do it.


- Collapse -
usb adapter

Thanks Kees, you answered another question I had. So, if I use a usb adapter does it come with the driver or do I need to install one separate?

- Collapse -
Re: usb adaptor

You've got three choices, in fact:
1. An PCI-card with antenna
2. A external antenna that connects with the Ethernet-port on your desktop.
3. A USB adapter.

When bought with a reputable shop, they come with drivers, if needed. Be sure they are suitable for your OS. Older ones might not support Windows 7, for example.
If you have a local computer shop, just go there and ask for advice.

As a side note, read to see what can happen if you buy from a not so reputable shop. That was my last answer before this.


CNET Forums

Forum Info