HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Crossfire or SLI worth the $$$$

by fkennard / April 14, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

My current system (custom build that started out as an upgrade)

Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 (wanted a quad but the budget rules)
Gigabyte G31MX-S2
2 GB Corsair DDR2 667MHz
Nividia GeForce 8600GT 256MB DDR3 memory
Hard Drives - 1x500GB SATA 2x250GB SATA 1x320GB SATA 1x80GB EIDE
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Hi All
This is my first post here at CNET Forums and I would first of all,like to say thank you to all the posters here for all the great information.Now to get to my question.I was thinking about running SLi or Crossfire but I would need to upgrade my present motherboard due to the fact that it has only 1 PCI-e x16 slot.I was inquiring about it at a local computer shop,and the tech there said he didn`t recommend it or suggest it due to the fact that its not all that its is made out to be.He went further and said it had something to do with the 2 PCI-e x16 slots are not able to run at the same speed.WEhat he suggests to do is just buy a really good GPU,something with lots of DDR3 memory.Now what I don`t know is if he is just giving me his view or is there something out there to merit what he is telling me.If someone can give me some input on this I would be very greatful.Thanks and happy computing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crossfire or SLI worth the $$$$
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crossfire or SLI worth the $$$$
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 1:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not for most
by Willy / April 14, 2008 2:22 AM PDT

Unless, you have a great need or desire for SLI/Crossfire then you won't need it. Plainly put, most users are gamers or for some reason find the absolute video top-end will make their world better. For typical user though you'll be happy with a singular video card, the best you can afford. Understand also, that using SLI/Crossfire will also require better psu installed and a capable mtrbd. that's not the cheapest out there for best performance match. use the link Robert provided, good luck.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
agree with your local guy
by ramarc / April 14, 2008 6:08 AM PDT

if your mobo already supported sli, then adding another $80 8600gt might be a good idea since you'd see a 50% improvement in many games. but a $150 9600gt would give you a 100-150% boost in practically every game and cost less than an 8600gt and a new mobo.

for the combined cost of two cards, you can usually find a single card that outperforms them both. so, sli is good for a budget upgrade (buy 1 card now, add another later when it falls in price and/or your budget allows) or if you want the absolute best performance and money is not an issue (spend $600 on two 9800gtx).

Collapse -
instead of SLi or Xfire
by 30boxheads / April 14, 2008 3:42 PM PDT

Changing the motherboard and adding another card(in this case another 8600GT)isn't the most practical solution, imo. Don't expect leaps and bounds with 8600GT SLi. Getting a single 8800GT (OC or not) would be better.

If you really want dual gpu, you could try 9800GX2 which is ridiculously priced or the humble HD3870 X2. both have 2 gpus in one PCB so it means you can use your old board but getting an sli or xfire solution.

hth

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.