Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Cronkite: Bush working with bin Laden

by EdH / October 31, 2004 5:10 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cronkite: Bush working with bin Laden
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cronkite: Bush working with bin Laden
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Cronkite: Bush working with bin Laden
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 31, 2004 5:45 AM PST

Hi, EdH.

Looniest liberal? Crokite is known for calling 'em as he sees 'em, and has never had a particular political stance. I guess in your mind, "anti-Bush" and "loony liberal" are synonymous -- that logic is right ought of Newt's manual, to say nothing of all those hear who falsely claim that "anti-Bush" and "un-American" are synonymous.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did Bush and Rove meet with Osama in his cave?
by Kiddpeat / October 31, 2004 5:53 AM PST
Collapse -
self-described
by EdH / October 31, 2004 5:54 AM PST

Liberals in the media No myth. "I'm a liberal," he says. Cronkite suspects most journalists are liberals of a sort. "We are more humanistic than hard-line conservatives. It comes, I think, from our journalistic apprenticeships, from how we came up through the ranks, from assistant to the police reporter, then the police reporter, and so on. We covered the disasters, we spent time in the poorer areas of our cities and towns, we've seen the seamier side of the world. . . . I think from that we learn to be liberal."

Collapse -
reading my mind?
by EdH / October 31, 2004 6:04 AM PST

And doing a bad job:

"I guess in your mind, "anti-Bush" and "loony liberal" are synonymous "

No, not synonymous. But clearly the Rove/binLaden idea is looney and he is a liberal. The thing speaks for itself.

Collapse -
Re: reading my mind?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 31, 2004 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: reading my mind?

Hi, Ed.

You say it's looney, but there were many reports and some evidence that after the Shah's overthrow Reagan's then campaign manager, William Casey (who was rewarded with being named DCIA), made a deal with the Iranians to keep our embassy employees hostage "as long as Carter is President." The timing of the release (the day of Reagan's inauguration) was the Iranian's way of thumbing their noses at Reagan, but the "liberal" media refused to report the story. I'm not saying that there's collusion between the Busies and Osama, but am saying you can't always dismiss such seemingly foolish charges out of hand.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Reading mind? Inappropriate app of Pile-it-High-&-Deep cert
by Catgic / October 31, 2004 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: Re: reading my mind?

DK, using the very questionable Casey-Carter-Reagan overlay to try to connect-the-dots for a Rove-Bush-bin Laden sit down over cous-cous and tea, is inappropriate application of your Pile-it-High-and- Deep sheep skin certification.

Critique this logic string:

Given:
-> The House of Bush and the House of Saud are very close
-> The House of Saud is Saudi Arabian
-> Osama bin Laden is a Saudi

Therefore is follows: Rove-Bush-bin Laden had a sit down and agreed to use the Casey-Carter-Reagan overlay to help Bush win over Kerry.

Collapse -
This ...
by Evie / October 31, 2004 6:44 PM PST

... is certainly a statement only a loony liberal could cook up.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
It looks like senility is setting in. Either that, or he
by Kiddpeat / October 31, 2004 5:51 AM PST

fooled the nation for a long time. Of course, in his day, there was a tendency to report the news rather than trying to slant and manage it.

Collapse -
George Orwell in 1947 on George Bush 2004
by Ziks511 / October 31, 2004 5:54 AM PST

"It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. Hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance. This new version is the past and no different past can ever have existed. In principle the war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over either Eurasia or East Asia but to keep the very structure of society intact."

"And you know somethings happening
but you don't know what it is,
do you" Mr. Bush

Rob Boyter

I think Uncle Walter got it just about right.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Competition for the prize heats up!
by EdH / October 31, 2004 6:12 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you for the great compliment
by Ziks511 / October 31, 2004 7:48 AM PST
Collapse -
As soon as the media started
by TONI H / October 31, 2004 6:15 AM PST

reporting that OBL's appearance would help Bush, I sat here thinking "watch somebody try to connect Bush to this *******".......and

Sure enough, it didn't take long for the whacko theory to raise it's ugly head.......jeeeezzzz.....

If Bush/Rove/OBL met for lunch, I'll bet dollars to donuts that they weren't eating any Texas smoked pig or BBQ........but then again, maybe they did, since OBL looks better/healthier today than he did during the last appearance.

TONI

Collapse -
It didn't talke long...
by J. Vega / October 31, 2004 6:30 AM PST

It didn't take long for Dave K. to scream "Newt's manual" yet again. Poor old Dave, remember the " they've already got him and are waiting to spring it just before the election" typical Democratic "Republican Plot" claptrap? So here goes Dave again witth his standard buzzwords trying to recover. Can his old favorite, yeling "Nixon!" be far behind?

Collapse -
Hey, Nixon did good........
by TONI H / October 31, 2004 6:38 AM PST

he brought Pandas to the USA.......course that was AFTER he left Office in disgrace. An even bigger disgrace was when Ford pardoned him without a trial though........and he got buried with honors when he died. I think we've shown the world for too long how we are such a 'forgiving' country and by doing so, we left ourselves wide open for the crap we have going on now.

TONI

Collapse -
Toni, you doll, we agree on something.
by Ziks511 / October 31, 2004 7:19 AM PST

And I freely confess that in retrospect he doesn't look so bad. Started the Environmental Protection Agency among other things.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Re: Toni, you doll, we agree on something.
by TONI H / October 31, 2004 7:52 AM PST

I'm sure there are many things we actually agree on....I've said before that I vote for the person and not a party. There are problems on both sides politically, but it seems that the majority of the problems over the last 12 years or so have been on the Democratic side. It's almost as if they want to just skate into things without having to work at anything anymore in a legitimate fashion...I've gotten very distrustful of that party and look at every election anymore with a leery eye.

TONI

Collapse -
Nixon, my man, he was the last truly progressive Republican
by netsky / October 31, 2004 8:10 AM PST

Had more flaws and was less lovable and was CREEP=Y but you know what?

I was there in 68, at the beginning. May I tell the tiny story of the RNC of 1968? I was there. A boy scout. I 'met' Nixon then. I 'nominated' Agnew that night.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) just guaranteed a jump by forgetting rwr- who was not n
by netsky / October 31, 2004 8:12 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Would that be Dennis Leary or Timothy Leary?LOL
by Ziks511 / October 31, 2004 11:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: As soon as the media started-- WHACKO THEORY???
by Bob / October 31, 2004 7:22 AM PST

Of course if it differs from your theory it must be a WHACKO THEORY. I've noticed the trend in your posts and you seem to always exibit the "There's only side to any question, mine" trait. The fact that OBL is still running around free tells the story. I've always wondered why the question was never asked and answered as to why we (I say we but I had nothing to do with that decision and neither did any of us) attacked Iraq before capturing OBL?

Collapse -
Re: As soon as the media started-- WHACKO THEORY???
by TONI H / October 31, 2004 7:48 AM PST

YES...it's a whacko theory to even consider the possibility that Bush and OBL are having tea together discussing how OBL could get Bush re-elected. Don't tell me that YOU'RE considering it.....

I have no theories......I have opinions....and my opinion is that Cronkite needs medication to help with that "pigs fly" theory of conspiracy.

When I feel strongly about an issue, I voice my opinions......same as the rest of you. I make an attempt to look at both sides of an issue and discard the parts that aren't important to me in order to make my decision. That doesn't mean that those parts I've discarded aren't important issues to OTHER people. I've said before that there are some issues that Bush feels strongly about that I don't agree with, but the very important issues that are immediately important to me are ones I agree with him about. The FEW issues that I agree with Kerry about AREN'T important enough to me to vote for that jerk to lead this country. There are too many lollipops in his camp already, and if he had his own personal momento to hand out to those followers, it would be a sucker.

TONI

Collapse -
The first proposition could be true. Here's a second. It
by Kiddpeat / October 31, 2004 10:32 AM PST

really is a WACKO THEORY! It does sometimes happen, and Toni is pretty down to earth.

Collapse -
Re: Cronkite- is failing at long last
by netsky / October 31, 2004 10:19 AM PST

Agreed with KP.

Our last surviving WW2 national correspondent has a mind in the early stages of fade.

He's nearly ninety.

Mabye senile dementia- that's what I sense. Because of the odd associations of disparate elements like Rove and Osama.

Early senile dementia, not forgetfulness.. if that's really correct that he said the two are 'working together'

I did not see the interview.

Oh well- we can FILTER out the inconsistancies from the other stuff that is classic Uncle Walter, and so keep him alive in our good memories a while longer.

Everything goes and dies on us. Cruel loss.

Collapse -
Everyone's entitled to his own conspiracy theory.
by Ziks511 / October 31, 2004 3:24 PM PST

And while I don't believe this one for a moment, it would be a great trick. I've said elsewhere that I think this may be Al Qaeda trying to mess with the American election, and I still think that. I just think they've misjudged their effect. I think they were thinking they could do the same thing as in Spain, that is swing the election away from Bush. Instead they may have given it to him

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "And that's the way it is." Uncle Walter has gone WACKO
by Catgic / October 31, 2004 7:07 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.