Cameras forum

General discussion

Croatia's landscape

by jump1127 / April 24, 2008 4:06 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Croatia's landscape
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Croatia's landscape
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Croatia
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Croatia's landscape

I enjoyed your photos.
That country has some outstanding scenery.
Those waterfalls are beautiful and I'll bet they are loud when you get close.

Apparently the country has resolved most of its political strife.

Thanks for the armchair tour with your great photography.

Joe

Collapse -
Croatia landscape
by Baper / April 25, 2008 12:47 AM PDT

Marvelous pictures!

Baper

Collapse -
GREAT PHOTOS of Croaatia's landscape
by taboma / April 25, 2008 7:42 PM PDT

Jump, the 1st photo I viewed reminded me of Keukenhof Gardens in Holland last spring. The tulips are at their peak right now at Keukenhof. Brings back wonderful memories.
2nd photo of the Cathedral or Church was wonderful with all the flowers and all the reconstruction going on. The roof is a piece or art! How beautiful. Year 1811 on the steeple.

The interior shot was really impressive. Probably a hand-held shot knowing you. Hands like a rock or a fireplug!

My son who is 32 years old takes slow time exposures hand-held which is wild! Looks like he used a tripod. He has a Canon G-7 with image stabilization. I wish I were so lucky as both of you are with hand-held success. I guess using a heavier DSR camera is the key.
The only way I can do it with a pocket camera is to cradle my elbows near my chest and to hold my breath. Looks weird, yet it does work.

The Waterfalls are wonderful. Where about in Croatia is this?
A gentleman that my wife works with suggested on a southern island of Croatia going inland with a guide. Is that where you were??
Fabulous country and a fabulous photo, Jump. Did you do a time study or slow the shutter down? Neat photo and fabulous terrain. A work of Art! To be sure. One of those "OH MY GOD" Photos. Nice!

It goes for the falls footbridge shot. Did you walk the footbridge!?
Would have been a great shot if you had survived!

You can see the spray coming on the next waterfall shot and smelling the grasses on the banks. WOW!
Now the next one by the footbridge is awesome!
Next: Small ledge and beautiful color of the water.
Next: Foliage and deep-water currents show. Nice!
Next: With that water flow, it's amazing those two brick houses are still there. Nice color and composition.
Next: Down-stream. OHHH!!!
Next: Walkway and water steps are nice. What is your shutter speed?
Next: Water, Water, And Water! Fabulous!
Next: Ahh, calm and relaxing. Nice! Glad I wasn't drowned back there.
Next: OH NO, more water!!
Next: Fabulous shot and a rainbow to boot! Johnnie on the spot at the right time. Nice sky clouds also. So much going on with this shot. NEAT!
Next: Nice waterfalls. Where is the rainbow?? Power Falls! You can almost feel it. And hear them.
Next: Hanging branches over water. Nice composition.
Next: Silver water and great composition.
Next: Croatia?s Landscape. Awesome!
Next: The old city? Nice Ironwork. Crop the man out.
Next: Historical Church? Nice photo and color. Composition is cut out of the sky. Nicely done.
Next: Wonderful soft color to that Church.
Next: A chapel in that church. This is where you shine. Great lighting and camera work. WOW!!! Next stop is the Sistine Chapel!
Next: Super wide angle. Nice action with the angles of them.
Next: Boating anyone? If no one noticed, great powerful angles to this shot. Nice!
Next: Castles by the sea and you can hear the waves on those huge rocks next to that huge fortress. Wonderful composition and lighting. Powerful shot. Shows the impressive structures and why they survived for so long. Seascape is impressive. Great color.
Next: Photo assignment: Photograph a seascape and a landscape together. Great seascape and landscape shot together here by Jump. Hard to do and well executed. Take note of this photo. Not easy to accomplish. Great eye for composition.
I feel like I am traveling with National Geographic and Smithsonian Magazine!!!
Next: A powerful Coastal fortress, a beautiful sea, a beautiful rock structure and a beautiful photo
Next: Now that is a Croatian Landscape and all the structures.
This is where I would have used Adobe Photoshop a little. I will send it back to you later and the results. Say if it is a misty day and you want to cut through that mist. How do you set your lens and camera settings? Same as a misty rainy day or foggy spring days in the mountains of Vermont? Use a special filter? I have no idea.
Next:
Page three of Jump?s trip to Croatia?
I for one cannot wait to see and view then.

Jump, I think these are some of your best photos ever.
BE PROUD, they are wonderful!!! GREAT TRIP for me.

Make sure you tell me where all those waterfalls where.
My wife leaves for Croatia Friday night for two weeks.
I want her to view these waterfalls.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Jump, Landscape/Seascape
by taboma / April 25, 2008 8:11 PM PDT

Croatian Landscape Seascape Adjusted

Jump, here is my Adobe Photoshop adjustment to your landscape/seascape.
I was lucky to do this so quickly. I guess time after time at work pays off.
Look at the original and after.
Ansel Adams did it in the dark room in 1929.
What a photographer.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8086/croationlandscaperevisenx0.jpg

Talk to you later.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Wow..
by jump1127 / April 26, 2008 5:00 AM PDT

Quite neat what you did to my Dubrovnik picture. I'm still working on the processing. haha.

Any way, the 2 places your wife must visit Croatia will be Krka national park and Plitvice national park. These 2 located very close to a town called " Splitz ". Those were the place where all great waterfalls and lakes I shot. Unfortunately, when I travelled to Croatia last week, it rained almost everywhere. Traveling in Croatia isn't that difficult if she will drive. The road is superb and smooth, even better than some western Europe countries, such as Czech Republic. It'll be another place for revisiting like Turkey in my checklist. Zagreb ( capital city ) was nothing much interesting beside St. Stephen church. Dubrovnik is something more interesting. There were a few places, but nothing as charming as Krka and Plitvice.

Next destination, not sure for now whether it'll be Nepal, China, or Myanmar. These are not so safe destination at all. Nevertheless, I'll keep you informed.

Here are some more pictures of Croatia. Snapshooting of people in Croatia, including our tour group. Enjoy !

http://www.thaidphoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85135&pp=100

Collapse -
People in Croatia
by Baper / April 26, 2008 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow..

Absolutely gorgeous pictures of people in Croatia. Very professional.

Baper

Collapse -
People of Cratia, photographed by Jump
by taboma / April 26, 2008 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow..

Jump and the people of Croatia.

1st photo at the church captures what you are looking for. The people.
Nice interior shot of the church and photo of a woman praying.
2nd shot: Statuary, pansies ad a woman shopping. What detail! Nice.
3rd shot: You are invited to have lunch with us. Inviting and comfortable shot.
4th shot: Fun kid.
5th shot: Guitarist and also with lighting and shadows. A great composition. Nice shot!
6th shot: The school children. All the girls love you and are happy.
You do have a way with females it seems.
7th shot: Family relaxing at Harvatska. Fabulous detail.
8th shot: Puppy love at Harvatska. Warm shot.
9th shot: Welcome to Harvatska! Kid friendly. Cute girl. Your daughter?
So that is where all the waterfalls are!
10th shot: Clear, pristine pool. Where are the kids?
11th shot: Fishing for sea bass in a bay. Nice!
12th shot: Vendor selling olive oil and shiskabobs. I would have concentrated on this man with a few more portrait shots shelling nuts or something.
13th shot: Lovers at a waterfall. Nice photo. What an area to have lunch at. I could do that.
14th shot: In a church. Grainy and lots of noise. I would choose a second shot with that Minster close up and reading that bible.
15th shot: WHOOPIE!!! JUMP!!! Everyone loves to be photographed by Jump. JUMP! JUMP!! JUMP!!!
This is an Arial shot and Jump is in the air also. How to go! Fun shot!!
I hope Jump landed safely. Great fun shot. So nice to look at. :

Collapse -
You're quite welcome, Kevin.
by jump1127 / April 26, 2008 11:23 PM PDT

Glad that you enjoyed those pictures. I could have doen better. I love your comments; those were very constructive. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Jump, Two photos revisited
by taboma / April 27, 2008 3:02 PM PDT

Jump, Revisited with Adobe Photoshop
The Kids and pigeons: By themselves and having fun. Nix the grandparent with Photoshop that was not easy for me to do. I think it is a better story to look at now.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/504/kidsandpigeonsrevisitedcy0.jpg

The Guitarist image cropped. Nothing is lost and more dramatic
I think. Nice composition to your photo. Intriguing photo and suggests a discovery at the top of those steps. Very inviting.
Very good editorial photography.
Here we are back to National Geographic or Smithsonian magazine.
Makes you wonder what IS at the top of that stone stairway??

I like Jump's work with editorial photography. Hard to capture.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/6039/jumpsphotodpp0588ef8.jpg

-Kevin

I love your photography. Great eye to your photos and tells and suggests a story to us. Not easy to do?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Neat stuffs,
by jump1127 / April 28, 2008 1:33 AM PDT

those pictures surely look better after cropping. I should have done that. Neverending shooting, I always learn from you and others as well. Thanks.

Collapse -
Neat stuffs,
by taboma / April 28, 2008 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Neat stuffs,

Jump, it is just my art directors eye and I look at thousands of photos per year and adjust them. When I take a photo I always think about composition first and the need to do cropping later.
Your photography is professional and gets better and better.
Maybe because you have your children with you and are relaxed is the reason you take great photoghraphs on vacation. I wish I could do the same as you and take great photos.
I showed my wife, Judith, your last round of photos. She loved them and thanked you for where to go in the State Park and to see those waterfalls. I think starting this coming Saturday, She will be doing the same tour as you did.
Your photos of all those falls and streams were impressive. I have to learn from your lens settings on the waterfalls. They were fabulous!!!

My wife will be shooting with an S400 Digital Canon or my SD500 Digital pocket camera. I happen to like both of those cameras. Easy to carry and able to take a nice photo. Nice pocket camera and takes good pics. Not pro quality, yet good photos. Better than the old Brownie-Hawkeye. That was way before your time.
I think it was 1948 and cost about $5.00.
Maybe Joe Randolph can fill you in.

Did you ever see the "Never-Ending Story" movie about a kid and his fantasy?s? Great kids movie and I love it!
Never-ending learning curve with photography and Adobe Photoshop also.
There is always something to learn new.

Great photos, Jump, I loved them!!!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Well...
by jump1127 / April 29, 2008 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Neat stuffs,

in fact, I suggest that your wife take a film SLR camera with her as the backup camera. She won't get disappointed with the film camera at all, considering the dynamic range. Most waterfall I shot was the low shutter speed, around 1/20-1/30 or so. The heavey camera, 1Ds mark III, really helped me a great deal. The dynamic range was something that I was very impressed with. If those pictures were taken by my old 5D, it couldn't be this good especially the highlights. It took me less time on detail's processing; however, the files were rather large and doubly consumed the processing time comparing to the old 5D. Any way, I'm sure that she'd be very happy with Croatia. Thanks again for your tips.

Collapse -
S400 and 4 gig card
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 27, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

Kevin

I am pretty sure that the Canon S400 can not use 4 gig high capacity memory cards.

When the S400 was manufactured, compact flash high capacity memory cards did not exist.

For that camera I would not use anything larger than a 1 gig card.

Collapse -
S400 and 4 gig card
by taboma / April 27, 2008 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: S400 and 4 gig card

Thanks for the info Joe. I did not know that.
Live and learn from the pros. :

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!