Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Critter invasion list expands here

After the game warden discovered a tunnel dug near the overhang of my new deck (it's about two inches from ground level and one corner of it due to the slope of my land), and I had already discovered a tunnel under the house, I had set a live trap under the house with rat/mouse bait and also jammed bait into the tunnel outside. He had determined that my invading critter was a river rat rather than a weasel type because supposedly weasels leave very smooth paths as evidence and there were none near the tunnels nor at the creek banks nor around my pond.

After checking the live trap for a couple of days in a row, I found that nothing had disturbed it so wondered if the river rat had moved on. About five days ago I could smell something decaying right under the house area where my kitchen sink is located. That area under the house is only about six inches high from dirt to kitchen floor (ex had a hell of a time getting the plumbing right when we moved the kitchen sink to that wall).

I figured the rat had eaten the bait either under the house (without setting off the trap somehow), had entered the trap and eaten the bait and was dead in the trap (haven't checked yet), or had eaten the bait at the outside tunnel and managed to still get under the house and died near my sink area.

I have a small pond to the left of that kitchen area that I had just started to revamp a few days earlier and when I went outside to get ready to dig it out deeper and wider for the new liner, I discovered a very large possum croaked and bloated laying in the sand at the bottom of the hole of the pond.

Wondering now if the smell I experienced two days prior was actually that possum laying right under the window of the kitchen sink wall rather than under the house itself. Probably ate the rat bait at the edge of that outside tunnel, died, and one of my stupid dogs carted the carcass away and it landed in the pond hole. My dogs have a tendency to drag carcasses around endlessly either flipping it in the air like a toy or rolling in the hide for some insane reason so I suspect Duke was playing with it and carted it away from my window area right after I smelled it.

In any event, whatever was trying to claw or chew its way into my house is gone for now. I don't think it was a possum under the house originally unless it got trapped there at some point and by leaving the door to the area under the house open for a full day before setting the traps, it was able to get out and away because the tunnels themselves I think are way too narrow for a full grown possum. But small enough for a rat. And whatever was trying to get in had to have had claws or teeth on a large scale to make the holes I ended up with.

The only body that has turned up has been the possum, but the bait is still going to be used here for a while just in case. Gotta love country living....

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Critter invasion list expands here
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Critter invasion list expands here
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL........You were thinking Weasels or Mink

In reply to: Critter invasion list expands here

or your last post. I had kinda thought possum. Have caught small young ones the size of a large squirrel, and not that much bigger than a barn rat. Then again some larger than a large house cat. Possums have a slender pointed mouth with extremely sharp pointed teeth that look like ice picks. Their claws are also long and sharp.

Hope you got em this time.

JR

Collapse -
Re: LOL........You were thinking Weasels or Mink

In reply to: LOL........You were thinking Weasels or Mink

My dogs have killed possums and raccoons here frequently over the years and what I saw out there in the creek was no possum. I know that positively...

What I don't know know is what it was that was under the house digging or chewing it's way through solid 3/4 plywood walls. If it was a possum, it either got out from being trapped under there when I left the door to the underside of the house open for nearly a full day, and then got stupid and ate the rat bait that I had put down the tunnel hole outside at the deck the next day and died or it had no bones in its body and was what created the tunnel in the first place. But I looked at the size of that possum laying in the pond bottom and it was too huge to fit into that tunnel, either outside or under the house.

Could be a coincidence that I had two critters coming and going so close in that time frame....

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You give that big dog a kiss, on the muzzle!

Collapse -
Re: Critter invasion list expands here

The only time I had a possum in the house was about 3 years ago when my dog carried in a young one-unharmed. he dropped it, and it spent part of the night behind the stove and refrigerator. I just left the back door open so it could leave, which it had by morning.

However, when I had the skunk family in my basement, I was told by the wildlife guy that they do dig in when ready for a family. If your tunnel was from a skunk, I think it is too smart to eat the bait. Around here they have their young in early spring, and the young and Mom leave after 3-4 months. .So yours was probably not a skunk.

Never had a possum did in the 30 years at the other house. Probably didn't have a reason.

Rats dig under all the time around homes on the lake here.

Raccoons, of course, just pick the lock, come in, and make themselves at home. Happy

Anyway, Toni, I hope your problem is solved! Critters belong in critter places!

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Raccoon invasion in Cleveland, Ohio

In reply to: Re: Critter invasion list expands here

I lived in a large house across from a small park and at night you could see the sewer raccoons come out of the sewer culvert across from my house. They were huge, the size of your dog and mine Angeline, and extremely bold. You could be ten feet away from them and they would continue to tear apart your trash on the curb.

I had them climb my downspout, run all over the roof, tear out eaves, rip apart my chimney, and tear off roofing tiles trying to enter the upstairs. They would come right up to the screened window and claw at it while staring you down daring you to stop them. I used to spray straight bleach from a mister into their faces to get them away from the screen long enough to close the window, but they would be back almost immediately.

I put live traps on the roof and watched them bounce them off the roof, break it open and scurry back to the sewer. I couldn't get anybody from animal control to do anything about them because they were 'protected' so finally resorted to poisoning them one by one or a couple at a time, but it took quite a while to get rid of them because they were in a large pack in the sewers there.

Very scary critters compared to the country raccoons I have here....the ones in Cleveland were not intimidated by people at all. You would think they would have had special 'colors' like gangs...

TONI

Collapse -
I liked that about the 'gang'

In reply to: Raccoon invasion in Cleveland, Ohio

That brought a good giggle! Happy

If Cleveland is like here, so much native habitat is being destroyed that the animals have had to move into residential areas.

We have actually had deer on one of our streets. A new hospital was built on a large acreage tract, and they had no where to go.

Worse, though, is that foxes are coming into residential areas. Not good news for small dogs and cats.

I made the mistake of throwing bird seed on top of the garage roof at the other house. Squirrels really tore up those shingles getting at the seed that slipped underneath.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Critter invasion list expands here

rolling in the hide for some insane reason

I've been told dogs have an instinct to roll in dead animal remains to cover their own scent for hunting purposes.

For whatever reason, dogs wandering often seem to come home smelling worse than you would think they could get in a few hours.

RogerNC

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.