Linux forum

General discussion

Critique/help for a first time Linux man

Hello all,

I've given it some thought and done a little bit of reading and decided that I want to convert to Linux. After doing some reading about the differences between the various iterations of Linux, I finally landed on Kubuntu. I also decided to not so much "switch" over to Linux but rather "migrate" over. To do that, I've decided to install Kubuntu on my 2 gig flash drive and effectively dual boot with and Windows.

I was wondering what else I need to know and what else I should put on my flash drive (keeping in mind that it's only 2 gigs so I can't have every program in the world on there (much as I would like that)).

I know this is sort of open-ended as to what I need but I'm not exactly sure what o ask. So, thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Critique/help for a first time Linux man
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Critique/help for a first time Linux man
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A very complete Kubuntu fits on a 700MB CD.

In reply to: Critique/help for a first time Linux man

It has many applications so I bet 2GB will hold just about every application you'll find on the Kubuntu CD and you still have over 1GB to fill up.

I think you'll be fine.

Bob

Collapse -
Anything not on there that I should know about?

In reply to: A very complete Kubuntu fits on a 700MB CD.

I know that I'll install all of my favorite little files (assuming that I can find them in Linux friendly form) but I'm wondering if there are any applications not on there that I might need to run more basic things. For example, does it come with something to help setup and find drivers for my printer?

I know that I can easily find this stuff out by simply installing it but my internet connection is slow so I've got to wait a fair while before it's done downloading.

Also, is there anything that I should know for the actual installation or is it self-explanatory enough?

Again, thanks for the help.

Oh, one more question. On the Kubuntu website there's 2 ways to download it. There's the CD and DVD version. The CD version is about 700 megs to download while the DVD version is about 4 gigs. I was wondering what the difference was. Obviously, 4 gigs (plus whatever it uncompresses to) won't fit on my flash drive so I would like to know what I'm missing out on.

Thanks.

Collapse -
"I was wondering what the difference was."

In reply to: Anything not on there that I should know about?

Such information is at that site. Just so you know I don't duplicate ready web content. This is all volunteer effort with a twist that most moderators will tend to help people learn how to help themselves.

What works best is when you find yourself "stuck." Then people really dive in. But for queries such as this I point people back to the source.

Hope you understand.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.