Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Critical Updates Will Not Download

This is the second post--two weeks ago, Grif responded and suggested that MS may be running too many downloads and that I should try a few more times.

My PC is running XP (Home) with the SP2 update from CD. When I go to the MS Update site, MS suggests two downloads--the IE and the Office.

Not only do I go to the site manually, I have set "automatic update" to run, as well. In addition, I turn off ZoneAlarm and Norton while at the download page.

The updates simply do NOT download. After failure, I go to the 'history' page and click on "failed"--and find the following Error Code: 80072EFD.

Searching Yahoo! or CNET for that code gives me all kinds of stuff on XML, I think (?!?!)

Any thoughts out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Critical Updates Will Not Download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Critical Updates Will Not Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Critical Updates Will Not Download

In reply to: Critical Updates Will Not Download

ninenot

Most times that I run into this it is due to a pest having trashed IE settings. The only solution I have is to uninstall IE with IEradicator. Have the IE6 set-up file on your H/D as you will have no browser. FireFox and M/S do not play nice.

Wait for some others to join in they may have a less radical cure.

Bill

Collapse -

In reply to: Critical Updates Will Not Download

Ninenot,

I'm seeing that a number of SP2 installations will require the newest script engine to function correctly on the Windows Update page. Please download it from the link below, install it, then try Windows Update again:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

After doing so, make sure to disable the "Pop Up Stopper" on Internet Explorer before visiting the site. (While in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools", select "Pop UP Blocker", then click on "Turn OFF Pop Up Blocker".)

If you can't get the standard Windows Update site to work, then you may need to install the updates manually. Just for kicks, see if the Office Updates page will work for you. Much like Windows Update, it should identify Microsoft Office products that need updates, and will provide their downloads. After clicking on the link below, then click on the "Check for Updates" link toward the middle of the page:

Microsoft Office Updates/Downloads Page

If that doesn't work, then make sure you're aware of the Knowledge Base article number, then do a search for the article at the link below. You should then be able to download it manually:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;kbjump

If you need to manually download the newest Internet Explorer 6 update for XP SP2, here is that link. You can download the installer file manually and install it offline.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for XP Service Pack 2 (KB834707)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Critical Updates Will Not Download

Thanks, Grif. Here's "the rest of the story" to date:

I downloaded the script engine per your suggestion, no problems, then went to the IE download page to retrieve KB834707, saving it to my desktop. When that was complete, I double-clicked, and the update will NOT run on my IE; the error message says that the update will not run on my version of IE.

Back to MS to download the latest version of IE--and there, I am told that what I have running is the latest version. This raises the question why the Microsoft update-scanner keeps telling me that I need an update...it's a mystery, I guess.

As to Office: been there several times. The Office Update page has had "technical problems" and will not complete the scan of my installed s/ware. So then I go directly to the download page and select the short version (I still have my installation CD.) In about 6 tries, I've never been able to get the complete download which lasts about 2 1/4 hours.

Oh, well.

Thanks again for your suggestions. At least I have a Script update.

Collapse -
Ninenot, Another Suggestion...

It appears as if the Service Pack 2 didn't install correctly. The manual update of Internet Explorer is telling you that your IE version isn't SP2 and some of the other issues indicate the same thing.

Since you have the SP2 CD, I suggest uninstalling SP2, then reinstall it. You can either uninstall from the Control Panel/Add-Remove programs or use System Restore to go back prior to the SP2 update. Prior to reinstalling, make sure to clean up the Temporary Internet Files folder, the "Temp" folders, then run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive. After the reinstall, you can attempt to install the KB834707 update, then install the Scripting update as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

Grif,

Thanks for the suggestions w/reloading SP2. As it turns out, there are two differing downloads for the IE patch--my hardware retailer suggested I look more carefully at the KB articles. Using 834707 did NOT work, so I used the other one, which did.

THEN, finally, I was able to download the Office patch, as well, although I ran the download three times before an un-corrupted one came through.

By this time, MS is probably getting SP3 ready to ship...

Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ninenot, Good Job & Keep Up The Safe Computing !

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.