Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Critical Update to XP-SP-2 firewall.

by dawillie / December 17, 2004 1:52 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Critical Update to XP-SP-2 firewall.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Critical Update to XP-SP-2 firewall.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't validate..?
by radean / December 17, 2004 4:56 AM PST

Used this "The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=da66a0ac-55ca-4591-b3e6-d78695899141&displaylang=en

Tried to Validate, but my cd key listed in the registry was not accepted, and the product key on the label on my computer was not accepted.

The computer came from BestBuy, and was preloaded with OS. Any idea whats going on here??

By the way Windows update worked fine, so have the update, but concerned about no recognition of my key code. What if I needed to reinstall WINXP, and provide a code for them..

Collapse -
I would call Best Buy Ray and
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Can't validate..?

Tell them what happened. I also bought my computer from Best Buy a few months ago but i did the validation thing through Microsoft a while ago and passed with no problems.

Collapse -
Try the other method..
by Donna Buenaventura / December 17, 2004 5:37 AM PST

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx to find out if your Windows is genuine. There are 2 methods.
1. Use the Validation Asst <-- this is the one you've use but failed
2. Compare the anti-piracy features <-- see if your CD is genuine by comparing it with the images available on the above link after choosing method #2.

If it's genuine, it could an issue with Microsoft the ActiveX (dll file) only or corrupted. Delete the LegitCheckControl.dll from your hard-disk which is the "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool". Empty your temporary internet files. Try to validate again.

Additional reading:

Q. What if my copy of Windows fails the validation process or I believe I have received pirated software?

A. In either case, Microsoft recommends the following steps: First, turn on Automatic Updates to make sure your system is being protected while you are resolving the problem. Second, use the resources on the Windows Genuine Advantage pages to learn how to recognize genuine Windows software. Third, see your reseller and ask for genuine Windows software, using a print-out of the validation session for support. Finally, if you can't get assistance from your reseller and you suspect you’ve been victimized, fill out a Report Piracy Now report so Microsoft can have a record of the transaction and determine if addition action is warranted.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ray call ms have your receit handy
by Mark5019 / December 17, 2004 7:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Appreciate replies, but ...
by radean / December 17, 2004 8:39 AM PST

this computer is going on 2 years old. Never a problem with Windows updates, and am using SP2 now, with no apparent problems, but having them tell me my key code was invalid, was a bit un-nerving. After all this time, don't think BestBuy will help much.
Donna, will check your suggestions ASAP. Thanks.
OH! Maybe a mistake on my part, for not saying I DO NOT have an XP cd. Only Restore Cds. But still there is a number in the registry, and a number on a sticker, on the tower. Belarc reports the same number as in in the registry. (well, guess it would). Happy

Collapse -
it would me too Ray and
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 8:49 AM PST

even though the computer is 2 years old, IF Donna's method of checking it yields the same result I would still call Best Buy and report it to them. To the best of my knowledge, it is the manufacturer and NOT Best Buy (although I could be wrong in that) that installs the OS. BUT I have bought a number of things at Best Buy both in Connecticut where I used to live and Kansas, where I live now and I really believe that they would NOT knowingly sell a pirated OS on a computer. Even if they were not the ones that installed the OS, I would not be surprised if they helped you out anyway. I've always had great results with those people.

Collapse -
There's a ZDNet article about this flaw
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 6:44 AM PST

Microsoft did not classify the configuration issue as a software vulnerability and so did not distribute the configuration update with the patches it released earlier this week.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5494557.html

Also, Microsoft is investigating reports of a new Internet Explorer flaw that puts people with the most secure version of Windows at risk of phishing attacks. The software giant said Friday that it is looking into reports from security company Secunia and others that a vulnerability in IE6 enables scammers to launch a phishing attack against PCs loaded with the latest security updated version of Windows, Service Pack 2, and older versions of the operating system.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5495719.html

Mark

Collapse -
caveats?
by Lenny K / December 17, 2004 6:55 AM PST

If one uses a method other than dialup AND one uses ZoneAlarm instead of the MSFW, might one assume that this patch is NOT needed?

Collapse -
Hi Lenny
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: caveats?

That is what I am assuming. One way to get it is via Windows Update and Windows Update does NOT tell me that I need it even though I use it and I'm also on dialup but I read BOTH Microsoft articles on this and it affects people that use the "My Networking" and/or the "file and printer sharing" options enabled as "Exceptions" in Windows Firewall. The first one I do not even have in my list and the second one, I do NOT have checkmarked and don't ever intend on checkmarking it so I'm am not going to download it. This is a copy and paste from one of the KB articles on it.

"CAUSE
This problem occurs because of the way that Windows Firewall interprets local subnets when the ?My network (subnet) only? option is used. Windows Firewall is included with Windows XP SP2.

Because of the way that some dialing software configures routing tables, Windows Firewall in Windows XP SP2 can sometimes interpret the whole Internet to be a local subnet. This can let anyone on the Internet access the Windows Firewall exceptions. When the "My network (subnet) only" option is enabled, it is automatically selected for file and print sharing. Therefore, your shared drives can be unexpectedly revealed on the Internet when you use a dial-up connection."

Collapse -
This article
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Lenny
Collapse -
I agree roddy
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 7:51 AM PST

Thats how I read it that it is a flaw "only" if you use dial-up, "and" share files or printing across a network..

Presumably the file and print sharing would be across a local network, eg 2 or more computers at home, but if the XP SP2 computer is connected to the interent via dial-up, then the risk exists.

Mark

Collapse -
exactly Mark
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: I agree roddy

And even with this patch, Microsoft says in ONE of the 3 or 4 articles I have read from them today, it is still no guarantee that it will make the computer complety safe. I also think that when Windows Updates scans your computer, if it doesn't see the settings set in that way it will NOT tell you about the update. If it detects that you DO have them set that way, it WILL tell you that you need the update. I do NOT have the My Network (subnet only)(or whatever that setting was) OR file and Printer sharing checkmarked. I triple checked my settings and I have absolutely no use and will never having any use at all for that option to be used so I am not going to lose any sleep over this LOL.

Collapse -
Rod
by Donna Buenaventura / December 17, 2004 7:59 AM PST

I'm not using Windows Firewall in my test box but Windows Update showed it in "High priority updates" which are critical and security-related updates. I'm not in dial-up but still WU showed it. Haven't install it.

See screeshot http://img93.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img93&image=delete3ze.jpg

Collapse -
Hmmm
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: Rod

That's interesting Donna because it didn't show up on my WU a short while ago.

I do have a local network, and also a DUN as well as my broadband connection, but I use ZA instead of the Windows firewall.

I will try again later.

Mark

Collapse -
Hi Donna
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 8:12 AM PST

I just now visited Windows Updates and scanned for about the 10th time today and once again it is telling me that I don't need any updates. I do not like to download things from Windows Update unless they tell em I need them. IS there an uninstall option on this update if I DO install it? This is what I am getting from Windows Update right now.

"Review high priority updates
High priority updates are critical and security-related updates.

No high priority updates are selected for installation. Microsoft recommends that you install high priority updates to help keep your computer up-to-date and secure. To view optional updates available for your computer, click one of the optional updates links under the Home link.

Total updates selected: 0 items, 0 KB, 0 minutes
Go to install updates
High Priority Updates
No updates available

Collapse -
Mystery solved
by roddy32 / December 17, 2004 8:22 AM PST

For some reason this update WAS available to me on Tuesday when I did the rest of the updates on Tuesday I ALREADY have it which is why Windows Update is telling me that I don't need it now. I just checked my installation history and this is what it says. Maybe this would explain WHY I had 5 updates on Tuesday when MOST people had 4 updates. Mark, maybe you should check the Installation history too.

Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185) Successful Tuesday, December 14, 2004 Windows Update website

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Roddy, same here included in five on Dec 14th!
by glenn30 / December 17, 2004 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: Mystery solved
Collapse -
Good to see it is solved Rod!
by Donna Buenaventura / December 18, 2004 8:23 AM PST

The test system doesn't have yet the Dec. Security Updates and it has 4 critical updates which includes this update in question. This (am using right-now) non-test system got it when I installed the Dec. updates.

All is well to us Grin

Collapse -
Roddy
by Lenny K / December 18, 2004 12:08 PM PST

I only had four updates and now none are showing as needed, so I'm not going to worry about this since it seems clear to me my system does not need it.

Collapse -
Check my other post that
by roddy32 / December 18, 2004 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: Roddy

I just made to you Lenny,

Collapse -
Roddy and Mark
by Lenny K / December 18, 2004 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: caveats?

Sorry for the delay I just saw your replies. Thank you Roddy and Mark for your replies. I won't be getting this one since it does not show up for me and I don't use either of the services mentioned.

Collapse -
Hi Lenny
by roddy32 / December 18, 2004 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: Roddy and Mark

Check your installation history at Windows Update. You are PROBABLY going to find that you already HAVE that update from the other day (Tuesday)even though Microsoft claimed in the article that that particular one was not released that day. It was to SOME people.. The one you are looking for is KB886185. I checked MY history and found out that I already had it which is why Windows Update was NOT telling me I needed it again on Thursday.

Collapse -
Got it
by Lenny K / December 18, 2004 12:23 PM PST

Belarc says I have
KB886185 on 12/14/2004

Thanks Roddy. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Lenny :D
by roddy32 / December 18, 2004 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: Got it

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!