HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

critical update KB929969

by hikergirl / September 16, 2008 7:32 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP Pro, Word 2003, browsers: Firefox or IE6 in an HP e-pc 40 with Intel Celeron processor, 256MB RAM.

Recently, I installed Belarc Advisor. Yesterday I did another scan and it revealed there is a critical update KB929969.

In Microsoft's downloads, the closest I am able to come for a system needing an update of this number is Windows 2000 - which I don't have.

Apparently, it's some sort of security update for IE6.

Does anyone have any type of useful information for me? I would hate to think my system is vulnerable to some type of malware - been there, done that.

Thanks.
Pat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: critical update KB929969
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: critical update KB929969
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one shows it is for XP also.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 7:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
I did a search for KB929969...
by hikergirl / September 16, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

...in Microsoft/downloads. In the listing, I chose the security update for IE6 SP1. When you look at the explanation, it's for Windows 2000. This is the only choice I thought it could be.

Because I very recently acquired a malware, Microsoft cleaned out all areas of my hard drive to rid it of all infection. Perhaps, because the system (it's used) came with IE6 and I deleted it when I mistakenly installed IE7 (this is now long gone), and I attempted to get IE6 back - which I could not. So, I found it available on a commercial Web site - which is where I had been accessing IE6.

Maybe, the clean up actually somehow got IE6 back, as I now can access it directly.

So - Did I search for the wrong thing? I see your search included the MS07-004.

Should I use the link you provided and install what's there? I don't know what the security update is and Microsoft shows all security is up to date. So, I'm clueless as to what is going on here.

Thanks, Mark.
Pat

Collapse -
I cheated!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 8:19 PM PDT
Happy

I also use Belarc Advisor, it's very useful, and found this KB in the list. Next to it was a link to (details...), and so I clicked that.

My browser window took me to that link, reproduced below;
http://www.belarc.com/cgi-bin/qferefer?Q929969

My gut feeling is that you should download and install the update because it is listed as missing in Belarc Advisor. However, in this case I think maybe Belarc Advisor is wrong, and you don't need the update, especially if your system is working well now without it, and Windows Update does not list it as required. Perhaps you could double check that by using the Windows Update link in your Start Menu > All Programs.

But there is another argument for downloading and installing the update;

XP is now on SP3, and there have been more updates since SP3 was issued. You didn't say what Service Pack your system is on, but I assume you are up to date, other than this KB929969. Although IE7 was not forced on users when SP3 was issued, it is now the latest version of IE, and I believe that, at some stage, we should all use it, if only to keep our systems secure with IE7's increased security features.

That said, I would not download and install KB929969 unless you have already upgraded to IE7, because this KB is only to address issues with an apparently disappearing IE6 hotfix with the same KB #.

If you did decide to upgrade to IE7 I would make the following observations;

1] IE7 can be uninstalled, and IE6 restored, even though you may have installed SP3. IE7 is listed in Add/Remove Programs as "Windows Internet Explorer".

2] In some cases, users found they could not revert back to IE6 from IE7 after they installed SP3. This is because SP3 removed the ability to revert back. But users who were still using IE6 when they installed SP3 will find that, upgrading to IE7 now will still leave the option to revert back to IE6.

3] Don't install KB929969 for IE7 until after you upgrade to IE7.

4] BUT, confusingly, Microsoft named the IE6 hotfix KB929969 as well as the IE7 hotfix. So I wonder if Belarc Advisor is referring to the IE6 hotfix instead. A visit to Windows Update should resolve that.

5] Before you do anything, I would download, install, and test another browser, eg Firefox, Opera, etc. That way, if you do try any upgrades/installs for this and IE fails, you at least have access to another browser independent of IE to give you internet access. If you already have another type of browser that is working, then that is fine. My own preference is Firefox 3.

There. Clear as mud isn't it! Devil

Mark
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.