Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Critical Update KB885523

by dlhan / October 6, 2004 10:36 AM PDT

Donna, I saw this update on COU. It says it is critical but at the Windows Update site it shows no critical updates are available for my system. Should I install this update or rely on WU to be correct?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Critical Update KB885523
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Critical Update KB885523
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Critical Update KB885523
by roddy32 / October 6, 2004 10:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
by dlhan / October 6, 2004 11:05 AM PDT

Yeah it sure did, thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're Welcome
by roddy32 / October 6, 2004 11:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
by JP Bill / October 6, 2004 12:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 7, 2004 12:25 AM PDT

I have no idea if that is going to hurt anything or not Bill. Did you check add/remove programs for either the TVMedia or the update you loaded? Did you get the update from Windows Update or did you just download it? If you got it from Windows Update you probably needed it. Also you didn't say if you had SP2 or not.

Collapse -
by JP Bill / October 7, 2004 5:07 AM PDT

I had SP 2 installed (off CD) a few weeks ago.

I had checked Add/Remove for a listing of TV media and also used window Explorer to search the files and folders for a reference of TV Media. Nothing found.

When I turned on my computer 2 days ago, a message came on screen that a critical update was avaliable (KB885523) and did I want to d/l. So I did.

Not concerned about any bad affects as I've had no problems with SP 2 or this latest d/l.

Just wondering why this d/l was offered, when I don't have TV Media and SP 2 was already installed. (this might be a "bad affect" of SP 2)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!