Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Creditors humiliate woman on Facebook

by JP Bill / November 30, 2008 11:52 PM PST
Creditors humiliate woman on Facebook

This is Jennifer Moss' cautionary tale - one that involves a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix, an exorbitant lease and masquerading creditors who used Facebook to hunt her down and humiliate her in front of family and friends.

The 21-year-old Oshawa woman learned the hard way that there's no such thing as privacy when you use a social networking site - and few things as nasty as a leasing company spurned.

In February, she and fiance Bruce Strickland were desperate for a car to get him to his job at a sod farm. So they walked into a used car dealership and chose the $10,725 Grand Prix off the lot.

The deal they got from AJM Leasing was outrageous. But when you're poor, with no credit and just starting out, you don't have many options. So they signed on the dotted line: They would be paying a whopping 29.9% lease rate of $436 a month for four years.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creditors humiliate woman on Facebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creditors humiliate woman on Facebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
boo hoo
by James Denison / December 1, 2008 1:26 AM PST

buy a junker and drive it awhile. Insurance will be less too. Amazing how people think the world owes them money and things that aren't theirs.

Collapse -
Right! She's also got that fancy internet conected phone...
by EdHannigan / December 1, 2008 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: boo hoo

What's that cost a month?! Jeez! Are we supposed to feel sorry for her?

Collapse -
reply to: Right! She's also got that fancy internet conected
by caktus / December 1, 2008 12:22 PM PST

In today's world Internet access and particularly phone service for so many reasons are necessities.

As for her Facebook account, it would probably have been a good idea to delete the account at the [first sign] of trouble.

Collapse -
I have a basic cell phne....
by EdHannigan / December 1, 2008 7:30 PM PST

Don't have that kind of fancy phone. Don't need internet access on my cell. Those things ain't cheap for someone who is crying poor.

Collapse -
I don't think that was the point
by Josh K / December 1, 2008 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: boo hoo

The article was about the methods used by the leasing company, which were more than a bit unorthodox.

I got "taken" the first time I bought a car too. At least I learned a good lesson in how not to buy a car.

Collapse -
I agree with that also, but....
by James Denison / December 1, 2008 10:00 AM PST

...just turn the car in. Used to be usery laws. If any still exist, they must be a joke now.

Collapse -
Those evil Canadian companies!
by Kiddpeat / December 1, 2008 2:50 AM PST

They should be put out of business!

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / December 1, 2008 3:16 AM PST

In an e-mail response, the executive vice president of The Kaptor Group, which owns AJM Leasing, said he's prevented from discussing Moss' file due to confidentiality -- which she finds ironic. "They can't give you the information they were willing to give all my friends?"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?