General discussion

Credit Card Duped???

Nov 25, 2004 11:36PM PST

Yesterday I tried to sign in on Windows Instant Messenger Service. I have no password, so the "Help Topics" told me that in order to get one, I must type in my email address and CREDIT CARD NUMBER, so that my account status could be verified. After I complied, it said something to the effect that "sorry we were unable to verify your status -- try again later." Did I make a foolish mistake? The whole transaction was done using the Windows displays on the screen. Why would they even want a credit card number? Evidently the messenger service is free and is a part of the subscriber's package. Help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Credit Card Duped???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Credit Card Duped???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: More phishing info..
Dec 4, 2004 4:39AM PST

Now that you've mentioned Hotmail, I'm wondering if he possibly just subscribed to the larger storage(paid) Hotmail account-which _would_ ask for a CC#....or Passport, which has that "wallet" function, which I believe also stores the CC# and will autofill whenever a member shops online....(maybe someone that uses that service would know).

VBear

- Collapse -
Re: More phishing info..
Dec 4, 2004 6:52AM PST

Hi VBear'

I have just posted in reply to wannalearns last post, but I thought I'd reply to your post too, in case you or others don't read back.

In brief: it struck me that he says he is using his son's computer and, indeed, his son may have a subscription to MSN (we have "ninemsn Premium") which would then explain this whole affair in a legitimate way.

He is being asked a security question about "favourite tune" and if he does not know the answer, then he will be denied access.

Hope this elaborates a little on what you had to suggest.

- Collapse -
Re: Credit Card Duped???
Dec 4, 2004 6:10AM PST

In order to prevent being Phishing by anyone, go to www.Corestreet.com and download their program Spoofstick. It is a free download. This is then placed on your browser line and everytime you visit another website it will say "you are on ......". This way you know for sure that you are on the site you should be on and you can't be phished. I use it all the time and it works 100%. Can't recommend this more highly than this.

- Collapse -
Dec 4, 2004 12:14PM PST

Don't be too alarmed as long as you do these things I suggest right away.
First, call your credit card company with the date this occured and tell them the rest of the story, then you won't be responsible for any charges to your account from that day forward. They will probably cancel that card and issue you another credit card number, this step is most important for your protection, basically a pain for you but necessary.
Secondly, no legitimate site (unless you are purchasing a product over the internet from a company you trust) will ever ask you for your credit card number, never. They already have it if you have done business with them previously and if they need verification, they will only ask you for the last four digits of your credit card number or they will provide you with your number xxxx xxxx xxxx 1234 and you answer yes or no. If the answer is no, the only way you give out that info again is to log off the site you are on and sign into the site directly from your address bar and continue from there, see if they have asked for this info from you or not in the first place.
I happen to know this information from being in the same boat and have found out the rules from eBay, PayPal, and ClickBank.
So, get on the phone right away to your credit card company to take care of this.
Good luck and I hope this info will help you. (I also worked for a bank in the credit card dept.)
Janet

- Collapse -
Dec 9, 2004 8:44PM PST

ok I've read about half of the replys so maybe somone has said this already. I have never had to give out cc info to get a lost password. However I do know that Hotmail at least which is associated with both Windows and MSN messenger, does ask for cc info during intial sing up for the account. They do this to have proof of age. So that childeren do not get full account without permission. Since your problem seems to have come in a pop up window you did the right thing closing your card. NICE CALL most people wouldn't have cuaght it.

CNET Forums

Forum Info