Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Creative Zen X-Fi 32 GB

by Flixdapogi / September 14, 2008 3:54 PM PDT

Please help! I've been trying to to open Creative Centrale for the Nth time now, it won't open. I've tried uninstalling and installing thi program, it still won't open. It says there is an error , much like those when a tab fails while opening an internet page?

This is what appear on the the error report:
App.Name: centrale.exe AppVer:1.0.8.0 ModName: discmgr.dll
Modver: 1.0.2.0 Offset: 000046fd

I use an HP DV 2035us and just updated to Windows XP SP3. I've tried deleting all my previous Creative programs hoping it would help, still I can't open it, thus, I can't use my Zen player! The only other program left on my laptop is the Media Manager for my PSP. I don't know much about computer, let alone computer errors...Anyone please help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creative Zen X-Fi 32 GB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creative Zen X-Fi 32 GB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Creative Centrale
by Boutchise / September 19, 2008 8:24 PM PDT

Hi

I have the same problem with the same XenXFi.
I spent a message to the hotline but no solution.
I just formatted my computer completely and the problem still exists. (HP mediacenter1255fr with XP sp3)
I'll pass the message here if I get a solution from the hotline. And if you ever find one by then, thank you pass me the information

cu

Collapse -
Re: error.
by Kees Bakker / September 19, 2008 8:53 PM PDT

Both of you don't tell the exact error message. Just the program that gives it.

The interesting question: did it work with SP2 and stop working immediately after updating to SP3. Or has it never worked with SP2?

If you think it's SP3 related undo the SP3-update (easy to reapply!) and see if that makes a difference. If it does, Creative should solve the problem by making the program SP3 compatible.

Kees

Collapse -
SP2? Another PC?
by littlestarzz / September 25, 2008 6:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: error.

I agree with Kees. It will be easier to know whether it has worked with sp2? Else check it out on another pc to see whether the problem is pc related.

Collapse -
Tx for help but...
by Boutchise / September 26, 2008 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: SP2? Another PC?

Not more than Sp2 with sp3.
No error message from the software

work effectively with Vista.
The creative hot Line says they spend my request hotline level 2.
I'll keep you posted.

Thank you

Collapse -
Error:
by Flixdapogi / September 28, 2008 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: SP2? Another PC?

i just demoted my laptop to Windows XP SP 2 again. It's still the same thing, the Creative Centrale is not opening, same error report. I've tried several times, first using the disc that came with the product, then downloaded the program on Creative site...same results!

i did managed to sync my Zen X-Fi to Windows Media Player and was able to place songs on the player. But I'm having a hard time making playlists and downloading movies (not a surprise of course).

will give you updates in the future!

thanks for giving inputs by the way!

Collapse -
had same problem
by chuck harris / October 8, 2008 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Error:

running vista premium or whatever the designation is. uninstalled all creative programs, downloaded zip from teh site and reinstalled. now it works!

had to do the same thing with my XP laptop, only teh update never installs correctly and centrale cannot find any content on the player.

more of an experiment really - I use media monkey to create playlists and retag, and drag and drop works fine for file transfer.

Collapse -
unable to open Creative centrale
by divergirl2 / January 8, 2009 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: had same problem

I am having the same problem. Here are the specifics:

AppName: centrale.exe
AppVer 1.0.8.0
ModVer 1.0.2.0
Offset: 000046fd
ModName: discmgr.dll

This is the error report i received from Microsoft. A Creative Zen fansite said to download Application 1.01.02 from the Creative site but I don't see it there. Hope SOMEBODY can figure this out!!!

Collapse -
unable to choose which one to buy.
by Fahrincz / December 10, 2009 1:52 PM PST

i have been watching so many reviews and videos, but i still can?t choose which one to buy, Creative Zen X-Fi or X-fi 2 ? can anyone help me please ?

Collapse -
My take...
by make_or_break / December 10, 2009 5:56 PM PST

Since I'm quite happy with my Zune HD, I don't plan on buying the X-Fi2 anything soon, if ever. But I do own a 32GB Zen X-Fi, and do have some insight on that device.

One of the biggest gripes I have about the Zen X-Fi is its small buttons. The design of the navigation is easy on the software/firmware side, but the physical half is let down IMO by the puny buttons, which for me has made for a poor user experience. I've always preferred the d-pad of the Zen that the X-Fi supposedly superseded; it had larger touch surfaces and was for me easier to operate. And I'm someone who doesn't have large fingers; I can only imagine how frustrating a large-handed person might feel using the X-Fi.

Other gripes: the firmware. Some functions, like random play, weren't really random even AFTER firmware updates that supposedly fixed the issues. Last time I used my X-Fi, there was no way for the screen to shut itself off during audio playback without turning on the hold switch in back (not sure if any subsequent firmware updates exist that might've fixed this by now, since I stopped using my unit). Even though one can added more storage cap, the music and videos stored on the removable microSDHC card isn't integrated into the library of content stored in the player's NAND flash memory. A few basic functions like playlist creation seemed more laborious than on other devices, like the Zune or iPod. And while my X-Fi had FM radio, it was never all that GOOD at providing solid reception strength, no matter what set of headphones I plugged into the unit. And then there's that awful Creative Centrale software, but you're probably going to get that with the X-Fi2 as well (I'm guessing).

The X-Fi2 supposedly fixed a number of these issues. Plus it's a touchscreen, which now that I'm so used to the interface from my Touch, Zune HD and Walkman X1061 is to me a LOT nicer to use than most mechanically-based input system. I know that the X-Fi is relatively cheap these days, but I think that if I were looking at choosing between the two, I'd definitely go for the X-Fi2, with a nod to using a good 3rd-party app to handle media management.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?