Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Creative Zen Vision M OR iPodI'

by Yorkeh / January 9, 2007 6:41 PM PST

I'm getting a new MP3-player, but I don't know if I should get the Creative Zen vision M 60 gb or the iPod 80 gb. What do you have to say about this?

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
I would say iPod
by ktreb / January 10, 2007 4:04 AM PST

I may be biased since I own 5 of them (30GB Video, Pink Nano, 1st and 2nd Gen shuffle, and Mini).

I like the interface (Creative's is good too - I believe Apple had to settle a lawsuit with Creative over the interface patent) and it's integration with iTunes. The video iPod is very scratchable, so a case is mandatory. You should get one with Creative too, so you have more options than just sticking it in your pocket - get a case with a clip - and to protect from drops. After all both players are hard drive based. My video iPod is in a clear case with a clip.

The Creative's screen is supposed to be better because it has more colors 262,000 versus iPod's 64,000. And you can use it with more online music stores. It is a Plays for Sure device, so if you're interested in purchased or subscription music, check out the Plays For Sure website:

http://www.playsforsure.com/

With iPod, you're stuck with iTunes. Not such a bad thing. I like iTunes. Plenty of choices for audio and video content (I'm not really into converting my own video. And it works very well with my iPods. It is a bit of a resource hog, but it's been working better on my computer since the newest release (my computer is in serious need of an upgrade, though) If you want to try iTunes out, go to the Apple website and download iTunes (you'll also be downloading QuickTime as well). If you don't like iTunes, you can always uninstall it and drop iPod from consideration.

Collapse -
Creative Vision M or Apple iPod video?
by btrotta / January 11, 2007 7:09 AM PST

Personally, I would get the Creative. In 2004, my husband bought me the Creative Zen Xtra 40GB (the 60GB was out of stock) and this year he bought me the 5th generation iPod video 80GB. While both have their pros and cons, I would recommend the Creative. Here's why:

*The Creative is very sturdy, and it's comparable now in size to the ipod.
*Creative can be used with a variety of players: Windows Media Player, MediaSource, Music Match, etc. And you don't even really need a player -- you can use "drag and drop" with the new Creative's. I bought the Microphoto for my sister and the Zen V Plus for my brother, and all you have to do is right-click to add music if you wish.
*Apple's iPod is overpriced. Granted, the price has come down a bit, but it's still overpriced when you can get comparable mp3 players out there that can be used with such a wide variety of players.

I'm a tad biased on Creative, but that's only because I'm new to iTunes and, while it's supposed to be really easy to use, it's very difficult for me to get used to after using Windows Media Player for two years (and was very fond of version 10.0).

Creative's players are also very sturdy. While it's never recommended to drop them, I accidentally dropped my Jukebox Zen Xtra from table height two or three times. Nothing bad happened. I dropped my ipod from a seated position in a normal chair, and busted the motherboard. Oops -- not as sturdy as I had once thought.

I hope this information helps you with your choice.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!