Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

creative zen vision:m 30GB vs. Ipod Nano 4GB

by joeldietzjr / March 22, 2006 8:22 AM PST

Alright I know it's like comparing apples and oranges. First of all I'll I really want it for is music. The Nano 4GB should be all I need for me for my life but for only 50 more bucks I can get a zen vision m. To me this may be worth it, but I just can't decide. Also this will be my first mp3. I've read review after review and I know the zen:m sounds pretty good. I'm looking for ease of use to. I was hoping that maybe someone would have an opinion for me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: creative zen vision:m 30GB vs. Ipod Nano 4GB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: creative zen vision:m 30GB vs. Ipod Nano 4GB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a Zen Vision:M
by markizoto7 / March 22, 2006 9:03 AM PST

Zen Vision:M has a lot more features(e.g., FM radio). Even if you don't need 30 gigs, you can partition the Hard Drive and use it as an external HD, which could come in handy. It is very easy to use with the scroll pad and all teh tactile buttons (although I have not used an iPod ever) - Sound quality is also great.

Of course, you may love teh scroll wheel, use iTunes, or want to use the player at the gym or just want something with less moving parts. If any of these last 3 then iPod I think is your choice. However, if you don't need the small size, don't use iTunes, and don't plan to use it in a way that takes advantage of the flash drive, then go for the Vision:M.

Although iPods have a lot of accessories, you may not need them. I bought a Boxwave skin, and an invisible sheild, and an audio/video out cable for my Zen, I really can't imagine what other accessories I would need.

Creative also has the ZenCast service going now, and has the Zen Organizer program so you can listen to "Zencasts" and other "podcasts" (of course, apple has this already)

Collapse -
Also the screen ...
by markizoto7 / March 22, 2006 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: I have a Zen Vision:M

is AWESOME...

supports 262,000 colors, iPod Video is only 65,000 (is Nano the same, im not sure actually)

Even if you don't use it for video (I use it mainly for music, I have not put any videos on it yet) the screen is big, easy to read and looks great.

Collapse -
Zen Vision:M
by masterzen / March 22, 2006 12:44 PM PST

I would say, if you are willing, spend the extra $50 to get the Zen. I know this is your first player and you don't really want much else other than music, but, this way, if you get the Zen and, after a year or so, decide you want more features or space, they will be there. if you get the Nano and want more stuff in the future, you have to buy a whole new player for another $300 (or so).

Plus, I don't really promote iPods of any kind because they are overpriced considering the limited battery life, minimal feature set, and mediocre sound quality.

Collapse -
RE: creative zen vision:m 30GB vs. Ipod Nano 4GB
by Glorybox3737 / March 22, 2006 2:31 PM PST

Hey :). I can tell you about the benifits of a nano, I own one. If you don't have a large collection of music and want ease of use the nano is a great choice. Especially for a first time buyer. Nothing is easier than the iPod itunes combo. Period. My iPod is reliable and great quality. I've had no complaints about it for the last 7 months. I also have a 30gb Cowon A2 (for video) and I mostly use the iPod. The iPod is just easier. It's fun...if that makes any sense. I guess what I mean to say is that it's a no hassle player. I have only good things to say about it.

Spending the extra $50 on the Vision M seems like a waste to me. If you aren't planning on using all that extra space and aren't going to take full advantage over the video capabilties then what's the point? I say spend that extra money on some good headphones for the nano. Wink

regardless enjoy whatever player you choose/

Collapse -
I agree
by Tallcoolone / March 23, 2006 2:21 AM PST

The Nano seems like a better buy for you. The Vision M is a better value, but if you're not going to use all the features, you'd do just fine with something MUCH smaller and a bit easier to use. And if you plan to jog or work out with it, definitely go with the Nano.

Collapse -
Probably a Nano for you
by Jasmineflower / March 23, 2006 4:03 AM PST

Both players are easy to use, but the hardware/software relationship between the iPod and iTunes is really great and adds to the overall ease of use. Plus, the Nano is truly pocket-size, so if you don't need the extra speace or features, it's a better bet.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!