Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Creative Labs' products

by Pozzie / April 7, 2006 9:57 PM PDT

Hello everyone.
I've been looking at some reviews regarding Creative Labs' mp3 players. I'm not familiar with mp3 players and find it somewhat confusing: so many players, so many features, different characteristics, etc. I can't afford to spend a lot of money for an mp3 player: the maximum is $100CAD ($87 USD). So, I have limited options, but it doesn't mean I can't find anything, right? As I said, I've been looking at users' reviews regarding Creative Labs, more specifically for the following products: Creative Zen Nano Plus, Creative Zen Nano 512 MB and Creative 256 MB MuVo TX FM ...These 3 are available at 'reasonable' prices: range from $59CAD to $100CAD which is okay with me.

I would like to know what people think of those products. I read a lot of reviews and it looks like:
Back in 2004: All reviews were saying those products were GREAT, no technical problems, etc.;
Early 2005: Oops, more reviews were negative;
Aug 2005: 40% of reviews were outright bad, "I'm never buying something from Creative, ever!" and the like.
2006: I haven't found a lot of reviews for 2006.

So, I would like to know:
1- Do you or anyone you know own one of the 3 players I mentionned above? If so, what do you think of it?
2-From my understanding it seems like one of the problems seen with them is that they freeze, shut down out of the blue, sometimes skip, the LCD Display section won't turn on and the firmware (what's a firmware?) causing trouble...The following problems seemed frequent:
-Firmware must be updated to work properly;
-The player gets stuck on: Rebuilding library and cant even be turned off;
-People needing to replace the hard drive, hardware problems, etc...
NOTE: Some of people have had no problems with their player whatsoever. So, if I end up having some issues, is it just because of bad luck or is it a manufacturing problem?

Can those problems be fix or if I buy something and have such issues, I'm simply stuck with a product that just doesn't work and there's nothing I can do about it?

I don't know a lot about technology and the like. Last year, I had tried very hard to save money and finally bought a digital camera. I'm young and that time, I didn't think about marketing scams during sales. Anyway, I bought this HP Photosmart camera, on sale and it cost me $160...I was happy with it at first but just this past month, got very frustrated with it, when I went to the drugstore's "photo printer." I realized I couldn't print my photos off my camera and on the screen, it said, "Congratulations, your photos are now saved in the "C:\My documents\My Images" directory." <--- Shocked Like it would say on my computer. However, it said that when my camera was plug into the store's photoprinting machine, you know? The lady said, "Weird. Never saw this before. Looks like you can't print pictures off your camera. Try to save your pictures to a CD and come back." I was so frustrated! And 6 months ago, I realized my camera was discontinued... NO WONDER... Angry

This is why I'm asking a lot of questions. Some of them may seem silly or weird, but see, I was soo disappointed with what happened when I bought my camera..So, I'm like, "Alright, I got fooled ONCE, but I won't be fooled EVER AGAIN X-(!" I really don't want something similar happening when I get my mp3 player. I don't want to be fooled and be buying a lemon, you know?

So, to sum it up, here is what I'd like in an mp3 player:
-A little screen so I see what song is playing;
-Rectangular shape, because it's more convenient;
-The only 2 reasons I was interested in Creative are: 1-the players look nice and they are small (but if you have another suggestion, I'm all ears, at this point) and 2-they are at an affordable price;

So, I would really it if some of you could help me with this and making it a little less confusing.

Thank you very much for reading this...
Banana35, 22yr old, CANADA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creative Labs' products
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creative Labs' products
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MuVo
by pinayterp / April 7, 2006 10:47 PM PDT

The MuVo series is highly recommended. I own a MuVo TX 256MB, while my friend has a MuVo N200.

Just check out Creative's website [www.creative.com I think... or use google]

Note that the Zen series is critically acclaimed
People who have trouble with their player can easily contact Creative's support [they were very helpful to me]

THE BEST part of a creative player, is of course... the sound quality. They're THE BEST !

If you buy Creative in the US, the accessory set is fully included... unlike Europe and Asia.

In one line... ZEN NANO PLUS... it's the same has MUVO N200 [got some amazing features]... USD 10 cheaper... and comes in colors other than black or white.

Also... regarding ANY problems you may face... there is a * 90 day * warranty limit. That's if you wanna get the player repaired ABSOLUTELY FREE OF CHARGE. Otherwise some Labour/Parts charges kick in and it's useless [upto USD 90 I hear]

I had a WEIRD problem [my player would shut itself off]... they replaced it. But only after a lengthy two week email conversation.

Firmware updates are fairly easy, as the player is USB 2 compatible (which means that you just plug it in to your USB port, and it is recognised as an external drive. If you're on Windows XP... it KNOWS that it's a MuVo Wink ) I don't even use the software they send on the CD. I use Windows Explorer to transfer files to my player which shows up as a "removable mass storage media".

And finally... whichever brand you buy... if it uses a USB port to transfer data.. then you MUST BE very CAREFUL in removing the player. There is a procedure to it.

In windows explorer, go to MY COMPUTER. RIGHT CLICK on the REMOVABLE DRIVE you see [as the player is recognised]. Select EJECT. There will be a pop-up saying it's "safe to remove hardware" then you can remove your player.

If you simply unplug the player, it becomes your fault if it gets corrupted.

Collapse -
Re:
by Pozzie / April 8, 2006 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: MuVo

no13, alcedes and Jim Creek, thanks for replying.
Alright, there's one thing I'm not sure I got right.
no13: you said that on Windows XP it knows that it's a MuVo... But the thing is I use win98...Is that a problem? Oh and another thing too: when you said you plug the player and stuff, I mean, where do you plug it? I mean, I have USB ports on my computer but they're in the back and I'm not sure I understand what you meant about ''eject'' and stuff... My ports in the back, there's nothing to eject or anything...You plug your thingy in there and pull it out, you know? The only part where it could be saying ''EJECT'' is my CD section, you know?

Also, I'd was wondering if it were possible for you guys to put pictures of the players you're referring to...I've seen soo many players, so many different details, etc...

Again, thanks a lot for replying...
Looking forward to hear from all of you soon!

Collapse -
clarifications...
by pinayterp / April 9, 2006 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

WIN 98 needs extra drivers for a USB port. Those come on the CD with your player, or via a download from the motherboard manufacturer's website. I *definitely* recommend a computer savvy users help the first time you use the player on your computer, as I have NO idea about what windows 98 will do [we all shifted to Win XP *just* after USB ports started coming in use.]

The ''eject'' thing means that once you're through loading songs, you have to perform a series of clicks to make sure that some *temporary* read/write operations on the USB drive are performed properly. Those series of clicks help make sure that data is not corrupted. Happy
It does not mean physically operating some levers (unlike the floppy drives where you have to push a switch, or rotate one, like the bigger 5.25'' floppies)

That part will be mentioned in the product manual... don't worry Wink

Alcedes: I believe it's a PLUS point that it uses AAA batteries... what do you do when you're out of warranty and the battery's dead in an iPod ?

dude... seriously, about the image... umm... just browse through www.creative.com . I'm EXTREMELY lazy Silly

search in google images for "MuVo TX SE 256MB" to see what I have [SE = ripoff... I got only a thread to hanng it in my neck as accessories. Sad ]

Collapse -
I've got several creative players
by wlczsf / April 7, 2006 10:55 PM PDT

I've got the Creative Zen Vision, Zen Micro, and Zen nano. All seem to be working pretty well. I also purchased another Zen Nano for some one late last year and a MuVo before that. That all work fine. I think you should go with a Zen Nano Plus 1 gig. Unlike the regular Zen Nano the Plus has a built in radio and an armband included.

Thhe one negative about the Nanos is they use disposable AAA batteries. While the batteries last for a decent amount of play time I personally prefer having a unit that will charge via USB.

Collapse -
Creative MuVo
by Jim Creek / April 7, 2006 11:14 PM PDT

I have had a Creative MuVo for a year and a half and it's been great. It has 512 MB of memory which seems to be enough for me. I've had no problems what so ever. Take care and good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.