Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

creating mp3 cd's with wmp10

by desanti / February 27, 2007 1:38 AM PST

I am having trouble creating mp3 cd's with wmp10.
i have tried most everything,so i assume i can't see the forest for the trees.i have winxp pro,lots of ram,hd etc.
can some one walk me thru the process from beginning to end?
i have been on MS site for info but can't find what i need.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: creating mp3 cd's with wmp10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: creating mp3 cd's with wmp10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I thought that was to create AudioCDs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 1:46 AM PST

For MP3 CDs I use CDBurnerXP to put my files on a data CD then be sure the session is closed. Simple and free.

Bob

Collapse -
MP3
by Darton Fury / February 27, 2007 2:05 AM PST

You can select MP3 format only when ripping by selecting Tools, Options, Rip Music, and under Rip Settings select MP3.

Collapse -
(NT) Where would I make a MP3 CD then?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: MP3
Collapse -
Where?
by Darton Fury / February 27, 2007 2:29 AM PST

After ripping to your media library in MP3 format, burn to CD.

Collapse -
In WMP I end up with an AudioCD. How to make a MP3 CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Where?

It's not in a menu here. Where is that?

-> This is exactly what I turned to CDBURNERXP. It does that without much ado.

Bob

Collapse -
After ripping to Media Library
by Darton Fury / February 27, 2007 4:07 AM PST

in MP3 format, I select Burn. On the upper right there is a down arrow which allows selecting data CD. Then create the burn list of MP3 files.

Collapse -
I see why it doesn't work for me. Microsoft writes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:19 AM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/burn.mspx writes
"Q. When I burn a CD, does the Player "finalize" or "close" the disc?

A.
It depends on what type of CD you choose to burn. The Player automatically finalizes or closes audio CDs, but does not finalize data CDs. To create a finalized data CD, you must use another provider's burning or CD authoring program."

This is why I can't use WMP to create a MP3 CD. My player wants a a closed session.

I can see how WMP could create problems for many.

Bob
Collapse -
info on cdbxp.
by desanti / February 27, 2007 4:11 AM PST

i downloaded the burner you recommended.i am having some difficulty
in burning.i use the grab to mp3 on the menu and it seems to save the conversion to cdbxp projects folder.after that i can't seem to burn.
when i open the burner i am given 3 options:
create new data...........
new audio cd..............
rip audio cd .............
perhaps i am selecting the incorrect option?
thank you.

Collapse -
For CDBURNERXP, it's a data CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: info on cdbxp.

Add the MP3s you want and record it and make sure the close session is checked for most MP3 CD players.

Bob

Collapse -
i would like to know also
by desanti / February 27, 2007 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: Where?

could you be more specific as to how to burn.

Collapse -
Here's a link to CNET's How to Create an MP3 CD
by ktreb / February 27, 2007 3:50 PM PST
Collapse -
Creating MP3 Cds with WMP10
by Papa Echo / February 27, 2007 6:36 PM PST

You probably can't "create" MP3 Cds with WMP10. What I can do is to rip the tracks of an Audio CD to MP3, which WMP saves by default at its Library at "My Music", or you can choose to save then to a folder of your own. I then burn the MP3 tracks as data to create a data CD of MP3s. If you crete an "audio CD", the tracks automatically change to .wav (using Nero). But - tell/share the source of your music/audio files - Do you already have the MP3s on your HD and you want to create a music CD - an MP3 CD, by using WMP ? If so, do not use WMP - it is not a burner. Burn the MP3s as data, arranging them in folders if you like, to create a data CD by using your burner.

Collapse -
WMP-10,11...SETTINGS
by castingRod47 / February 27, 2007 7:33 PM PST

OPEN Windows Media Player..
Look for the little WMP-icon..upper left hand corner..
RIGHT-Click the icon..
Scroll down to TOOLS..Scroll down to OPTIONS..
This is where you set your PREFERENCES in the WMP..
Useing your RIPPING Tab...choose your Media File Extension/wma-mp3-lossless..whatever..
BURNING Tab..is there one..??..well if there is also choose your Media File Extension..wma-mp3-lossless..whatever..
You may also need to set-up your Optical Drive to ALLOW this SETTING to work..so in the Optical Drive PROPERTIES Tab...choose the RIPPING Check-box..
RIPPING is too take a already BURNED CD..either a Copyrighted Edition of a Professional Studios work or a previously Burned Copy from your Personal Library..the Media File Extension you have chosen in TOOLS-OPTIONS for the WMP will RIP that selection from your Optical TRAY to the Music Folder..
So a CD-audio CD-disk/placed into the Optical tray gets RIPPED to:MP3 and placed in the MY MUSIC FOLDER/if you have chosen MP3 in the TOOLS-OPTIONS section of the WMP..
it will operate exactly the same with a MP3 Disk from your Library-and convert to the NEW Compression you have also chosen in the TOOL-OPTIONS section of the WMP..
OK..here's the catch..
Microsoft needs to have a MP3-program installed via....ROXIO-NERO..whatever..you'll need to check on that Property..
Because a SELECTION for MP3 will not even show up in the WMP TOOLS-OPTIONS portion..until you install a ROXIO or NERO software program..
You will only see the WMA-choices..
ROXIO makes a nice software package..for audio..but if you choose some of its DVD-video Movie Making stuff your going to need a Pentium Processor..Celeron will run the audio stuff though..
If you purchase the ROXIO Burning Software you get some nice stuff like Audio Editing..sound editing..Tag Marking..it a nice start to other media creation..
But remember..Audio..Celeron..VIDEO-->>Pentium.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.