Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Creating DVD Recovery disk for Toshiba u305-7467

by golfsalot / March 16, 2009 11:03 AM PDT

There is a partition on the hard drive (EISA). I would like to access it and restore this OS (Vista Home Premium). This is a 32 bit OS. It will not install Vista Service Pack 1 (error code 800706be) A friend purchased this machine at Circuit City. He says he does not have any recovery dvds. I have read through the users guide but can't find the option to access the recovery partition or create a recovery DVD. This notebook has 2GB of Memory but acts like it has way less. It boots and runs very slow.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creating DVD Recovery disk for Toshiba u305-7467
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creating DVD Recovery disk for Toshiba u305-7467
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's likely to be under warranty. Make that call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2009 1:39 PM PDT

Look at toshiba.com and find the number for the country you are in for Toshiba and ask them for recovery media.

Collapse -
same machine
by Joliet Eddie / March 17, 2009 12:32 AM PDT

I own that model. It boots and runs fine and all the various Windows updates have installed fine though there were a couple of interesting instances where the machine hiccuped on restart and wanted to repair itself when the updates were dealing with hardware and bios updates. The past 1+ year has been smooth sailing. Knock-on-wood--the machine itself has been rugged and reliable. There is no way to create "recovery DVDs" from the machine itself. Your friend should have provided the disks that came with the machine. If you are able to obtain a set of disks from Toshiba, let us know. I would be interested in the event there was a need.

Collapse -
Recovery DVD
by golfsalot / March 17, 2009 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: same machine

I have a support request in to Microsoft regarding the update issues. As for the EISA partition, I wonder what is on the partition of 1.6 GB. The owner of the machine is considering purchasing a copy of XP and having it installed on the machine. I will try to contact Toshiba and find out it recovery DVDs are available.

Collapse -
Follow up
by golfsalot / April 3, 2009 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: same machine

I was able to buy the recovery disks from Toshiba. $19.95 shipped. I had a hard time getting the machine to boot to the disk. When I finally did get it to boot to the disk, I picked the option to erase the hard drive completely. It took over 26 hours to complete! I know it was a 200 GB hard drive but I never expected it to take that long. I was then able to reinstall the OS to factory state. Then, I installed Vista Service Pack 1. After installing all the appropriate updates, the Vista lost the DVD/CD drive. Drivers were lost and the OS didn't see the D drive at all. I tried to delete the upper and lower control limits in registry but they weren't there. Finally, I found a Microsoft program for deleting them on XP. It worked! I am finally done with this laptop and it now boots and runs fine.

Collapse -
U305 Recovery Disc
by EricaJohn / August 23, 2009 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Follow up

I have a recovery disc but get a "cannot locate file. check cd/dvd drive" error. I've read online that many of these recovery discs are having this issue. Toshiba refused to replace the disc for free. Does anyone have one in the Chicago area that I can borrow or buy?

Out of principle, I won't pay Toshiba $25 for something that should have worked in the first place. Grrr.

Collapse -
There are 2 discussions about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: U305 Recovery Disc

1. Is whether you would pay 25 bucks more for a machine with recovery media.

2. Why not try the usual and duplicate what you have? I often find the copy works.

In closing I also discover the DVD drive's age is an issue. Would you pay for someone to swap in a new drive and test your recovery disks for you?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.