Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Creating an Intranet

Hi there!
I don't know if here is the right place to ask about this subject, but here goes:

I want to build an intranet in my working office! There are about 7 pc connect to a server permiting us to change informations if needed. What i need is a way to publish (like a web page but only for us) information to share to all the others. This information is manly documents that i update when is needed. Can anybody give me some hints how to start it and if its posssible to put this online only for the workplace net!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creating an Intranet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creating an Intranet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You're already done.

In reply to: Creating an Intranet

All you need is to create some .HTM file with what you want then point a browser at it.

Bingo. Intranet.

Bob

Collapse -
:)

In reply to: You're already done.

Hi Bob,

I can create it in frontpage (is the easy way to do it?) then what i should do with it? What do you mean with "point a browser at it"?

I don't have any experience with buiding sites, so if you could be more specific i aprreciate!
Thanks

Collapse -
Create it with the tools you know.

In reply to: :)

As to the point at it that's a snap.

If you have the usual Windows PC. Browse to that file and double click on it and the browser will show your work.

Bingo. You have an intranet.

Bob

Collapse -
one thing..

In reply to: Create it with the tools you know.

Ok1 But i want that information to be seen by the others in the office (only in the office)! I see the file in the browser but the others can see it to? This must be online for that anyone that needs to use the information can get it all the time!

Is this possible?

Collapse -
Absolutely.

In reply to: one thing..

Since your server is only accessable via your LAN and your rules this works super.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Absolutely.

And what about the adress to use in the ie to others acees the information? I created a teste page in fp and the open it with ie. the adress is the location of the file!!

Can you arrange me a tutorial to start with this? or an example?

Thanks again and sorry for my ignorance!

Collapse -
"the adress is the location of the file!!"

In reply to: ...

Absolutely correct. It's an intranet and as such this is proper.

Did you just reveal a new "specification"?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: "the adress is the location of the file!!"

I see! the adress for my example is: file:///C:/Nuno%20Freire/INTRANET/index.htm

for the others to acess they must right this adress to?
what i must do to put it online for the others? I try to publish but i don't want to put it in WWW.

Arrange me an example or a tutorial please!

Collapse -
Or you send them a shortcut to the location.

On the file server that you saved the files to.

This is not meant to disparage you, but do you know how to copy files in windows? Create shortcuts?

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Or you send them a shortcut to the location.

That i know what to do, copy....
to they see the page i must create shortcuts?

I thought that intranet was the same as internet but for the use of few pcs!
I made a page and that page is to be acess by others. the page opens with internet explorer (firefox). What i cant understand is the way to spread the information (copying the files to the others? creating shortcuts for the others?) i thought that using a adress in i.e. all of tehm could acess the page, but i was wrong...

Collapse -
Let's look at your specs.

You have an office with some file server.

To create an intranet is as simple as placing the .HTM file on said server and telling others where it is.

That's done.

Next you complained about the URL. While not telling what you didn't like, I offered that maybe a shortcut would be easier to offer since you could send that to them.

Seems to me we've created our intranet but on your part you need to tell what specification we didn't meet.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Let's look at your specs.

OK!

the html is done! i thought that was possible to create an internal adress to acess the file! without any shorcuts, just sayng to them that the adresss is \intranet\index.htm , write in the adress i.e.!

I understood your questions and as a newbie i will get it !

Collapse -
"internal adress to acess the file!"

The file:\\C:\... noted is the internal address to said file. But the one you supplied was on C: which I think should be on your file server.

Maybe you didn't ask but maybe you wanted to install a "Web Server" on your server. For today I'd avoid that extra complexity or fun (for some this is fun.)

Bob

Collapse -
yes!!

In reply to: "internal adress to acess the file!"

Yes is that! I want a web server in my server but only for the use of my office! I thought that intranet was the definition of that!
Thanks! I hope you can help me with this another day! Don't forget this please! Thanks and sorry about all my wrong explication!!

Collapse -
An intranet does not require a web server.

In reply to: yes!!

It can be just some .HTM files in a shared drive. I offered this solution since your questions seemed to dictate you needed this to work without fuss.

I can tell you that while you can install APACHE (google.com) and get your web server going, it's under your control who gets to it.

The HTM files on your file server for now will meet your initial goals today without you spending much more time learning Apache.

Bob

Collapse -
Its really a little reading....

In reply to: A little reading

Sorry but i can't acess to all the article... Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just curious--what OS is on the server?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!