Computer Help forum

General discussion

Creating a new directory

I know how I am supposed to right click and select new out of the sub-menu that pops up to get somethign new. I am trying to make a new directory for a game I am told needs to be run in its own directory. So..can someone please explain to me why I cannot find out how to get a new directory!? someone please tell me how.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Creating a new directory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Creating a new directory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why don't you tell us what Op Sys et al??

In reply to: Creating a new directory

Why the "right click". I just left click File in the upper left [Windows exploer and hover on New then right click folder. Folder is the Windows name for DOS's Directory.

Basically the same in XP, slightly different but still left clicks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Meant to hit edit and make it [Windows Explorer]

In reply to: Why don't you tell us what Op Sys et al??

Collapse -
Re: Why don't you tell us what Op Sys et al??

In reply to: Why don't you tell us what Op Sys et al??

Fact is, I dont know what you mean by Windows Explorer. And where.

Collapse -
Re: Reading Material

In reply to: Reading Material

..Umm..what do I do with that?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Reading Material

Read....

From your post it appears that you do not know Windows File structure. The site will explain this to you.

Collapse -

I know all of that. WHat I dont know is why my omputer wont let me create a new directory. How about this. Someone tell me what a Directory is, tehn mayeb I can go from there with what I know and dont know.

Collapse -

Windows XP

Start -> Control Panel. In tool bar click on folders.

Or Start -> All Programs -> Accessiores -> click on Windows Explorer.

In Left pane Expand C: (my system reads Local disk [CHappy
In left pane Expand Program Files
In Right Pane in an open area, Right Click -> New -> Click on New Folder. Name this folder ->click enter. New Directory made.

Or Folders = Directories

Or see page 5 at
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/fms/pc/fm.pdf

Also application should create its own Directory on Install.

Collapse -
In Windows a Directory is actually called a Folder.

Thus when you click properly to make a new Directory it will actually say "Folder", not directory.

DOS called them Directories.

Finding Windows Explorer is different in you are using Win 95, 98, or ME. With XP it is slightly different. That is why we need to know what operating system you are using.

Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.