Computer Help forum

General discussion

creating a association for e-mails I get

by jgslumlord / May 24, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

Hi to all. Please help
I sometimes get e-mails that i cannot open. when i click on the attachment i get a message saying this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. create a association in the folder options control panel. I've kinda looked over it but cannot figure out what to do. i use outlook express and have windows xp pro. any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks Jason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: creating a association for e-mails I get
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: creating a association for e-mails I get
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As a start
by eddie11013 / May 24, 2007 2:06 AM PDT

have a look at this write up: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859
Basically you must remember that if someone sends you a file with an extension that is not on your computer, you will not be able to open it, unless you install that same program onto your computer. Example, someone sends you a 'pdf' file, but you don't have a pdf reader on your computer. You have to install a pdf reader like Adobe Reader in order to open that file. You can 'google' the file extension to see what program that extension is tied to and proceed from there.
Post back if your running into any problems.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Thanks
by jgslumlord / May 30, 2007 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: As a start

Thanks Eddie for your help.I got it figured out.
Jason

Collapse -
(NT) Great! Thanks for posting back Jason
by eddie11013 / May 30, 2007 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
creating a association for e-mails
by Terry.one / May 25, 2007 3:26 PM PDT

I was surfing around saw your question on assoction emails, as this has been an old problem I have had I couldn't help noticing the question.
Did you solve the problem with the suggestion you had?

Thanks Terry

Collapse -
Terry, What Is The Attachment's File Extension?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 4:53 AM PDT

In order to determine which program will open the problem attachment, we need to know the file extension of the attachment. (The last three letters after the dot.. such as .txt or .doc.)

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.