Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

created new user account...now desktop all messed up..HELP!!

by trainp01 / October 17, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

My computer was working fine. I would turn on the computer and it'll go straight into my desktop and I'll see all my files and icons on the desktop. Just 2 days ago, my son decides to "create" his own user account and he happens to set it him up also as the "administrator". When ever we turn on the computer, it would go to a screen and it would ask us to select a user to log on as (only one avail, it's his). We'd click his user account and it goes to a desktop, however, there is only 2 icons (recycle bin and adobe reader), nothing else. Where are my files/icons? How do I fix it? I rather undo what he did but it appears that I can't delete his user account because he is the administrator. HELP Please !!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: created new user account...now desktop all messed up..HELP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: created new user account...now desktop all messed up..HELP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thoughts...
by John.Wilkinson / October 17, 2006 10:24 AM PDT

* What was the name of your account and what is the name of the one he created? By default Windows sets up one account, an administrator simply named "Administrator". If you create a second administrative account, "Administrator" becomes hidden automatically. This is by design so that you have one account you can fall back on if the others become corrupt.

* When the Welcome Screen appears (where you select a username) press ctrl + alt + delete twice and then type in your username and password (if applicable) into the alternative logon box. That should get you back in.

* Your files should still be located in C:\Documents and Settings\your username here...browse to that location from My Computer and verify.

* You can install Microsoft's TweakUI and after clicking Logon place a checkmark to each account you want displayed on the Welcome Screen so that you can choose from now on.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
thoughts...
by trainp01 / October 18, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thoughts...

Hi and thanks for the reply. I never had an "account" before. The computer would just start up and go staight to my desktop. I assume that is the administrator, correct? My son creates an account called, "JB", which is also an administrator. I only know this because now when we turn on the computer, it goes to a welcome screen with his user account name and below his name, it says administrator. There is also another user named "guest" with "limited" access. I want to undo what he did and when I turn on the computer, it bypasses the welcome screen and goes staight to my desktop. Hopefully I get to see my files/icons as before.

Collapse -
OK...
by John.Wilkinson / October 18, 2006 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: thoughts...

That clarifies it a little bit. First, have him backup all of his personal files, favorites, etc for deleting his new account will delete those too.

Next, restart the computer and at the Welcome Screen press ctrl + alt + delete twice. Enter the username administrator and no password.

Once logged in, go Start->Control Panel->User Accounts and delete his account. You will also want to disable the Guest account. Just click on each account for more options.

After you restart the only active account will be the original Administrator and it should automatically log in for you. If it doesn't you can use Microsoft's TweakUI to force the automatic login.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
thanks again
by trainp01 / October 18, 2006 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: OK...

ok, I won't need to save anything on his account since it was just created 2 days ago. We really never touched the computer. I will just delete his account. I will do as you say this evening when I get home. I hope this will put me back to the "normal" state as before. Question, by doing this, I will see what I use to see before, right? (ie. my icons and files?). Thanks again for all your help. I will give an update this evening.

Collapse -
Yes...
by John.Wilkinson / October 18, 2006 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks again

Each account has its own documents, settings, icons, Start Menu items, etc. All you have to do is get back into that account and you'll find everything right where you left it.

Let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
Worked !!!
by trainp01 / October 19, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

It worked beautifully. Thanks so much for all your help. Kudos to you !!!!

Collapse -
Try this
by glb613 / October 17, 2006 9:39 PM PDT

Start the computer and allow it to get to the desktop. Go to start, log off then switch users and see if your account is listed. If so, log onto it. Go to the control panel, user accounts and delete the account created by your son.

Collapse -
try this
by trainp01 / October 18, 2006 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Thank you for your response. When I do what you say, I see 2 accounts, his "administrator, and guest with limited access. I can't delete his because he is the administrator and as a guest with limited access, I can't make no changes. Please see my reply to the other message for more info. Again, thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.