Computer Help forum

General discussion

Created disk image (50+ .DIM files) now what?

by wd7777777 / September 7, 2010 3:49 AM PDT

Using Active Partition Recovery Enterprise, I created a raw disk image of a (somehow) damaged hard drive in an enclosure. It made about 56 DIM files and one other that is 4 KB.

So, now what? I have DAEMON, and I'm not sure what to do next. Do I need to convert all of them to an .ISO file? If so, how?

Is there a way to open the .DIM files and copy data or what? I'm completely at a loss right now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Created disk image (50+ .DIM files) now what?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Created disk image (50+ .DIM files) now what?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 7, 2010 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
c'mon man..
by wd7777777 / September 7, 2010 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried ...

seriously? that just isn't helpful. obviously I've looked into it before asking on a forum. if you know and have something to say that can help, then I'm listening. what's with all the thread police?

this has nothing to do with the program I made the files with but instead the file extension and how I can read/copy whatever content stored within

Collapse -
Seriousaly.....
by Papa Echo / September 7, 2010 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: c'mon man..

You asked for help; and members of the community here responded in good faith... If the answer does not help, say your thanks anyway and tell why it does not help. The police ? They are here to watch posts like your response...

Collapse -
by wd7777777 / September 7, 2010 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Seriousaly.....

no. I am looking for an answer to how to convert from one file type to another. if someone responds by telling me that standard angry internet forum "READ THE MANUAL" thing, that means he doesn't have an answer.

so, if anyone knows how to do something like this, or how to get .DIM files to be read by DAEMON, please let me know. thank you

Collapse -
Standard angry answer ?
by Papa Echo / September 7, 2010 7:20 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

LOL.... Give you another one: Have you tried Google ? Put in how to get .DIM files to be read by DAEMON .

Collapse -
ugh..
by wd7777777 / September 7, 2010 7:59 PM PDT

yes. the point is, I've read the manual, no answers there. I've been googling for this and it's all a mix of results referring to DIM and dim lcd screens, and ISO files but nothing answers my question specifically.

so, I come here for some answers from people who seem to have none other than to try what has already not gotten me sufficient information and results.

please! if anyone knows how to help, I would appreciate your suggestions and input.

and before anyone posts a response similar to the ones above, I've heard of Bing.

Collapse -
See my post below.
by Kees Bakker / September 7, 2010 8:02 PM PDT
In reply to: ugh..

It's 4 minutes later, so probably it wasn't yet there when you started typing your post.
Does it help enough?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: .DMI files
by Kees Bakker / September 7, 2010 7:55 PM PDT

Assuming that the link Edward gave is the right one, their product specification shows that the DEMO version only makes an image and that to RESTORE it you need to buy the commercial version. That seems a good start of using that backup you made.

With programs like this, only the author knows the details of the files the program makes. And that's why the only way to use that files is to use a program written by the same author, and intended to use it.

Kees

Collapse -
other programs
by wd7777777 / September 7, 2010 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: .DMI files

but there are over 50 of them. there is one .DIM file which is only a few KB. the rest are .DIM.001, .DIM.002 etc. so they are seen as .002 files or .003 files rather than .DIM files.

nevermind the program I made them in, though. is this a common enough extension that I could use it in DAEMON or anything like that/?

Collapse -
I don't think so.
by Kees Bakker / September 7, 2010 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: other programs

That's why I recommended you buy the commercial version.

Kees

Collapse -
If you can't understand the instructions ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 8, 2010 1:48 AM PDT

in the User Manual for the product which I linked you to then it is time for you to try a different imaging product that is easier to understand such as Acronis True Image.

You appear to be using a demo of the product and the demo is LIMITED BY THE PUBLISHER as to what it allows you to do.

As for your being upset about my linking you to the manual, you DID NOT indicate in any manner that you had taken any time at all to read the user manual before posting.

The Acronis True Image user manual will easily step you through the process of imaging a drive or partition as well as validating the image and viewing the files within the image.

Your choice so choose wisely and enjoy.

Collapse -
well?
by wd7777777 / September 9, 2010 2:46 AM PDT

okay can we forget the program I used altogether? I have a registered version, by the way. can someone suggest a method from turning these files into something I can restore my files from? so far the only thing I've learned here is what the C in CNet stands for...

Collapse -
Suggesting a method.
by Kees Bakker / September 9, 2010 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: well?

I did above and so did Edward, but it seems you didn't want to hear it: buy the commercial version.

Kees

Collapse -
RTFM! vs. spoonfeeding
by Edward ODaniel / September 9, 2010 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: well?

the very fine manual says ...
STEP 1

Start Active@ Disk Image
Press [Ctrl]+[R] to launch Disk Image Restoration dialog:
{screenshot}

STEP 2
1. You have created an image using Active@ Disk Image earlier.

If you have created an image using Active@ Disk Image earlier (there is a valid configuration (*.DIM) file), press [ENTER] or [Space] to load image info from the image configuration file:

{screenshot}

Use arrows and [TAB] key to move between drives and folders tree. When you found and selected valid *.DIM file in Files: box, press [ENTER]. In the example above "backup.dim" file located on "G:\" is chosen.
Information from image configuration file will be loaded into the memory and you will see image parameters in dialog:

http://www.disk-image.net/restoredisk.htm

Since that is contained within chapter 2 of the user guide is it any wonder that I asked if you had taken the time to RTFM? You have now said you did but based on your continued posts I do still have my doubts.
This link is to the user Guide table of contents.
http://www.disk-image.net/guide.htm

Have a nice day, and if you still just want to find another app that will open the *.DIM file you can open it in WordPad or NotePad.

Collapse -
Great help, Edward.
by Kees Bakker / September 9, 2010 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: RTFM! vs. spoonfeeding

Let's hope he made a NON-COMPRESSED image. That can be restored with the demo version. You only need the commercial package to restore a COMPRESSED image. I overread that until know.

Kees

Collapse -
DIM files
by Jatalin / June 1, 2013 6:50 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?