Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Create wireless LAN between Win98 & WinXP?

by aBoppa / October 22, 2011 11:20 AM PDT

Is it possible to create a wireless LAN between a Win98SE & a dual-boot WinXP/7 systems??. Thought I had followed the instructions I located on the net for Win XP & then those for Win 98. This seemingly worked to some extent! But somehow the normal Internet connection was lost. Either this is not technically possible or I have not followed the proper instructions. Both systems could access the net before I put my foot in it but not after. Had to get the connection reset on both and am in limbo for the LAN for now. THANX!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Create wireless LAN between Win98 & WinXP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Create wireless LAN between Win98 & WinXP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's possible
by Jimmy Greystone / October 22, 2011 1:22 PM PDT

It's possible, but I'd advise against it. Wifi is horrible for LAN type uses. You want a LAN, you're just not going to be able to beat a wired setup. But if you insist, why not tell us a bit about what you're trying to accomplish and what you've done so far?

Collapse -
Create a wireless LAN
by aBoppa / October 22, 2011 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: It's possible

So, you are suggesting I forget about the RJ45 cables connecting my two systems to my wireless router?? And going with a wired router via an ethernet card in each?? Then you cable those cards into the router?? Am for sure not a networking wizard by any means despite having been in the computer field since the mid 60s'. Only been utilizing a PC for about the last 10 to 15 years and never really got heavily into the technical stuff. Would like to keep the Win98 system for old games and as a backup should my WinXP/7 system go haywire on me. Is it really necessary for me to be able to access the net via both?? Probably not but I thought it would be cool to do it if I could. But then, the LAN in my case isn't really for net capability but to be able to share files and print if necessary. Besides, there is likely no internet security software today that will be compatible with Win98. I know my Trend Micro doesn't want to know a thing about my old Win98. Perhaps a solution would be to dual-boot Win98 and WinXP on the older system which might get me????? THANX!!!

Collapse -
You said wireless LAN
by Jimmy Greystone / October 22, 2011 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Create a wireless LAN

You said wireless LAN, which means that you were using wireless networking cards in each, connected to a wireless router. If you have ethernet cable (RJ45 is just the style of connector, which is the "big brother" of sorts to RJ11, the standard telephone jack) running to each, then that's a wired network, regardless of whether or not the router can also do wireless.

But you still haven't given us any clues as to what you've already done, so we don't just try and tell you to do the same thing(s).

Personally, I'd leave that Win98 system completely off any network. Leave it as a standalone game machine. It would likely be overrun in a matter of minutes of being connected to the Internet, and if it's then connected to your main system, some of those fun little gifts might migrate. If you have a second license for XP, then a dual boot is probably an option, but you'd probably be better served getting a cheap netbook, or even a tablet, as kind of a backup if your main computer goes down.

Collapse -
Create wireless LAN
by aBoppa / October 23, 2011 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: You said wireless LAN

Perhaps my description of this was incorrect. I have an RJ45 cable plugged into the on-board internet connection slot and then into my Verizon FIOS wireless router. This is the same on both systems. I knew I could go with wired via a separate ethernet card and cable for each. But my knowledge kind of stop at that point. How to hook to two together is sort of a mystery to me and I thought the use of the RJ45s plugged in the way they were would create a bridge between the two. The hang-up (perhaps not the only one) was in attempting to create the network neighborhood. Maybe I should scrap the whole idea and be satisfied with two separate systems. That doesn't get me a total linked system for back-up purposes however. Was trying to utilize the stuff I have rather than spend more bucks on something new. Being 75 and on a fixed income would cause my spouse (who still works! by choice!) to have a bird with my spending hundreds of dollars on more equipment. Two ethernet cards and cables wouldn't set me back a hell of a lot. THANX!!!

Collapse -
Re: network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 23, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Create wireless LAN

No need at all for another (direct) connection between the XP and the 98 PC if both are connected to the router wired. That's a perfect configuration for a LAN I've had operational for years (until I replaced the Windows 98 machine by a Windows 7 one).

Having it networked you would be able to backup each machine to the other (assuming the disks of both a big enough to contain all that data). And you could do printer sharing (which is easier then transferring files via a USB-stick).

Windows 98, of course, doesn't run the latest version of Firefox at all (Firefox 2 is all), nor of Internet Explorer (that's IE 6, not 7 or 8 or 9), so it's use is rather limited nowadays. But for backup of data from your XP machine (as I said, if the disk is big enough) it's OK. If the disk is too small, however, an external hard disk wouldn't be too expensive and a useful alternative.

Kees

Collapse -
Create wireless LAN - Win98/WinXP
by aBoppa / October 23, 2011 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: network

There has been some progress - maybe good, maybe not good. I can ping either system from the other successfully. However, my 'Network Neighborhood' in Win98 does not see the #1 (WinXP) system in the "Entire Network". It sees only the #2 (Win98) which is itself. Strangely, at one point the #1 system did show up under the "Entire Network" but an attempt to view the properties of same was unsuccessful - "server \\ Boppa1 not found". Now I don't see it at all. Ping of same is still successful. So, something is remiss here. THANX!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?