HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Create self-installing packages program-help!

by stick joe / September 6, 2008 2:52 PM PDT

I'd like a free program that is able to create self-installing packages and install not only programs but also all kind of files. I need it to be easy to use since I don't know scripting/code.

I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 Home Edition.

I found one that came with Windows called "iexpress.exe" (in C\WINDOWS\system32\iexpress.exe)but for an unknown reason the program keeps closing on me while using it (actually, this program works the way I'd like a program to work, except for the closing bit!).

FYI - I've tried a few from download.com, such as : IntuInstaller 1, StarDust Setup Packager 3 Build, I + Installer Lite. But these programs are clsing on me as well--I'm thinking something in my P.C. is screwy making these programs close in middle of trying to use them.

So, 3 things I need if anyone can provide them :
1) WHY do all these sorts of programs keep closing on me (nothing else in my computer does it)?
2) What's a good program to create self-installing packages (a free one)?
3) Why is iexpress.exe closing on me (wished it wouldn't, it's just the sort of program I'm looking for)?

Thanks ahead of time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Create self-installing packages program-help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Create self-installing packages program-help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you don't know ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 7, 2008 8:19 AM PDT

"scripting/code" what exactly are you attempting to install and where did you get it from?

I ask because almost all applications written for Windows will require certain runtime files and libraries (DLLs) to be installed too.

On the other hand if you are only trying to expedite the installation of specific known files into a specific directory then that can be accomplished with executable archive files (such as WinZip can create).

You need to be a bit more specific as to what you are attempting to accomplish.

Collapse -
Well...........
by stick joe / September 7, 2008 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: If you don't know ...

In reply to your post as to what I'm looking to do, I want to make a small .BAT program execute (all it'll do is display message windows as a joke) and I'd like to make a different one where I just put whatever files I'd like to in it (such as jpg's) so someone who gets this will have these files transfered to their computer (like a .zip would contain).

Hope this explains it. If you still need info let me know.

Collapse -
That's something you need to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...........

Get it done... That is, you are the programmer, you write the spec, you select your tools and you get it done. You may find others won't write such for you.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.