HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Create CrossOver Connection but comp can't join workgroup

by silentassassin888 / March 19, 2007 2:06 PM PDT

I have 2 win xp comps, just want to connect them together just to move files. Have the crossover cable. The desktop will not register a domain or workgroup. Network setup goes to completion but I can't make or join any workgroups. On the network id section, it says:"you must install networking before you can change this computer's domain membership". The member section is greyed out on the desktop but it's fully accessible on the laptop (the other comp). I have done the static ip addy and network set up disks in both directions with and with out firewall. Nothing works. Does anyone have good instructions on how to do this? It's supposed to be easy but the desktop refuses to work. I have 2 network cards on the desktop that are fully updated: sis900 and realtek rtl8139. I have disabled, disconnected 1 or the other. The networking just won't work. I've lost sleep for the past week on this problem. Help Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Create CrossOver Connection but comp can't join workgroup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Create CrossOver Connection but comp can't join workgroup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What OS and which is a server?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 11:06 PM PDT

Domain networks are things we see with Windows Server 2000 and 2003 or some others. Sometimes an owner installs their network to use a domain by mistake.

Bob

Collapse -
Both XP
by silentassassin888 / March 19, 2007 11:33 PM PDT

The laptop is on xp home, network sets up fine and joins and creates workgroups well. XP pro says its on the workgroup I created but it wont recognize the workgroup. In my network places when I try to view network computers it just gives me a "ding". Doesn't matter if the firewall is on or off or if the ip is fixed or auto. The workgroup doesn't show up. Usually I can see atleast my own comp on the network, nothing here.

Collapse -
Since you have no server the word...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Both XP

"domain" should never be seen or written about here. If you see "domain" then your install is improper.

Since you have no DHCP server you'll have to assign IP addresses manually. Tell me what you used so the picture of the setup is complete. Also you need to have accounts on both machines and directories shared.

Example. Your account is called 'sam'. 'sam' must have an account on both machines with same password please.

Bob

Collapse -
The problem is that the comp won't join or create
by silentassassin888 / March 20, 2007 5:49 AM PDT

workgroup anywhere. With or without a server, the workgroup set up just doesn't work. I hauled the thing to the office and I can get to the internet through the network but again I can't join or create any workgroups. At home, I manually set the ip as
and

sometimes I leave the bottom empty and i've tried all sorts of combos on the ip numbers, close numbers or far apart. Even without the cable plugged in, I can't set up a workgroup, something I can do with the laptop.

Collapse -
The default route is not used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

Since you don't have a router it's not used at all.

I didn't read how you dealt with accounts and shares so that's an open item. Also you can try the command line and this command if you feel you have the accounts and shares proper.

NET VIEW

Bob

Collapse -
Think it was a bad install or something
by silentassassin888 / March 21, 2007 11:49 AM PDT

Got desperate and uninstalled and reinstalled all windows components and now the networking works. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help. You wouldn't happen to know anything about sharing permissions over a network would you? I'm sharing stuff over a large dispersed network that I don't want just anyone to use but I don't know how to set the permissions for another computer over the network. Thanks

Collapse -
Once you know...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

It seems so simple.

We have that Guest account which we rarely enable but that allows everyone to gain access. And the word "Anyone" is anyone with an account, not "everyone" which would be those without an account.

"but I don't know how to set the permissions for another computer over the network."

In short, Windows doesn't do this! But we could add it in by installing OpenSSH so one could stelnet into said 'server' and use the various net and other command line tools to adjust users and more.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by silentassassin888 / March 22, 2007 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Once you know...

Thanks for all the help. When I scrounge up the cash I'll think about getting a "real" network but when you have all the equipment for free, its hard not to try.

Collapse -
did you remember the PAIR switch on the crossover cable
by ask4anu / March 21, 2007 4:12 PM PDT

are you using a premade cross over cable or a self made
if self made one pair has to switch in the middle of the connector ends and it easier just to use a store baught cross over cable even as cheap and easy to use a cheap router between the 2 and forget the cross over cable period color code is useless when connecting ethernet cables as long as they are the same match on each end of the connector when using a cross over cable one of the pair has to CROSS OVER in the middle of the connector
if you use a router you will have more security and control over how data flows to and from the other computer and you dont need an INTERNET connection for the router as well it is its OWN DCHP (internet server)

and then you will be NETWOKING the real way and not just from computer to computer and that helps a whole lot in the transfer of DATA along the network path as from computer to computer One of your computers acts as the DCHP and you have to install or turn on the dhcp SERVICE in xp and above WHICH makes the computer you turned it on at THE DHCP \router which causes the cpu 1(DCHP) to work hard as it has to use cpu cycles to do a routers job (routers have cpu in them around 200mhz)RISKS processors and other hardware that do what your computer would have to do to be a router Thus taking the load off your computers period from computer to computer networking you have to one COMPUTER 1\dchp\server to 2 COMPUTER 2\client and if you have to be the server you cpu might not be able to handle the load as most servers use DUAL PROCESSORS for traffic use and the router does the same thing with having to be big and bulky and if your cpu on both machine arent at least a gigahertz or better you will have sluggish preformance on the computer that is the DHCP if you have to use it while both are on and are useing the network and if one of these computers is tied to the internet and not secure in everyway then your computer network can be hacked into easily even if you use software firewalls you can still be hacked and both machines can be turned to zombies causing all kinds of problems for you the user that is why when you network computers that tie to the internet you should always you an access point instead of crossover netwoking most routers these days dont cost 50000 for home netwoking and you can pick them up cheap linksys 99 dlink 99 and so on and that sure beats building a pc just to be your router\DCHP\server then you can also connect both computers as clients to the router head over to cnets netwoking page and read on how to setup a netwok if you need any more help its all there and linksys has one dlink has one cisco does have one but it is more geared toward IT TECHS and some of the info may confuse you if you are just getting started into networking

1-800-

Collapse -
Free beats pay
by silentassassin888 / March 22, 2007 1:44 AM PDT

Thanks for the info but I already have all the crossover equipment for free. I'll just have to secure the old fashion way for now, unplug the cable.

Collapse -
your are not lost yet
by ask4anu / March 22, 2007 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Free beats pay

there are other ways to secure them if you must use it
and unplugging is the easiest if you dont know much about netwoking the computer using the crossover connection is somewhat secure JUST USING the crossover cable the PC that is the DHCP is the one that needs to be secure

1-800-

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.