Mac Applications forum

General discussion

create an itunes account without a credit card

by Ma3n-87 / August 29, 2008 10:59 PM PDT

hi i just got my macbook and ipod touch i was trying to get the 2.0 update for the ipod but i couldn't create an itunes account because i don't have a credit card and i live in a country which doesn't have a store ....so what do i do?
i can get a friend from canada to buy me an itunes gift card but can i use it here ? or even a paypal one?
and still if i create the account can i use it to buy the update and apps from my country? or download missing album art i guess my second question is can i buy stuff from another country's store?
please reply i'd really appreciate ur help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: create an itunes account without a credit card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: create an itunes account without a credit card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll have to wait
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 11:06 PM PDT

Until it's in your country. The reasons are very clear why this is needed and only those that didn't research why will continue to ask why.
Bob

Collapse -
hmmmm
by Ma3n-87 / August 29, 2008 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: You'll have to wait

so even if i create an itunes account somehow i won't be able to purchase the update? this is crazy!!
i have another question: i read something about that the appstore is another thing so i could create an appstore account since all i need is the UPDATE please man isn't there anyway to get it? if my friend bought it for me from his account can he send it to me? or it will have to be downloaded through the same mac that's synced to the ipod touch?

Collapse -
So
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm

It appears you don't know the issues of payment, debt across country lines. Why not research that.

As to the update, my laptop has itunes and gets ipod and itunes updates without a credit card entered. What you are telling me doesn't happen to me or others so I can't see where the issue is.
Bob

Collapse -
I can't help but wonder
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm

what response you got from Apple when you asked them the same questions!

Now if Apple came back to you and said that there was no way you could do what you wanted to do, then your rant would be acceptable.

Right now you seem to be running on hearsay, "I read something about", with no concrete information from the real source.

With an iTunes gift card, you can open an account and buy stuff from the iTunes music store, this includes the 2.0 software update.
To purchase from the iTunes store you need an account. To get an account, you need to be in one of THESE countries, or at least have an address in one of them.

If you do not fall into any of the above countries, contact the source; Apple

P

Collapse -
well...
by Ma3n-87 / August 30, 2008 12:31 AM PDT

thank u guys for replying and trying to understand the issue ....i'm not very good in english...

when i first posted this topic on apple discussions i got an email that this is an INAPPROPrIATE subject and they deleted it maybe because i mentioned that i live in syria which apple seems to forget about all the time...(even while registration)
actually i've been reading apple support pages about anything since i got my macbook and ipod touch
but i didn't find useful stuff about this ::: i need to buy the 2.0 update and some free apps from the appstore and i need to do that from syria which doesn't have a store and i don't have a credit card ....

i found this later http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2052 it mentions this at the end ....
so my friend can get me a gift card, create an account ,buy the update while he's in canada and then i can download the update from here and install it BUT WILL A BE ABLE TO PURCHASE APPS FROM SYRIA???
sorry if i wasn't so clear about anything please reply
thank u

Collapse -
This appears to be you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 12:39 AM PDT
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7983319

"
Good Morning Maanx3.

This was already answered in the thread you started yesterday and tho I know it isn't the answer you were hoping for, I'm sure the information you got was good.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1686556&tstart=0

Also, this doesn't help you get an account, but it might be of interest to you:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1684830&tstart=0

Sympathetically....."

Nothing new I can add here except you seem to be unaware of the broader issues.

"This has been asked and answered here dozens of times. The iTunes Store will come to other countries when Apple can work out all the multitude of licensing, copyright and royalty issues with all the various artists and record companies. The same applies to the App Store; Apple first has to negotiate distribution licenses with all the developers to sell their products in Paraguay. When that will happen, no one outside of Apple can say and Apple won't until they're ready to officially announce. Anything anyone here could say would be just rumor and speculation, and neither are allowed in the Discussions."

Bob
Collapse -
thank u
by Ma3n-87 / August 30, 2008 12:58 AM PDT

i posted the topic and 2 or 3 forums so they didn't delete all of them....
anyway thank u for ur concern i'd really appreciate it if u put a link about these BROADER ISSUES i don't know what ur talking about!!

it seems that even if a get an account i can't buy stuff from another country's store so i guess i'll have to wait just like the other guy.... or i'll continue to look around .....anyway...
thank u for ur interest....(i didn't realize admins have this kind of patience)

Collapse -
Just in closing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: thank u

"when Apple can work out all the multitude of licensing, copyright and royalty issues with all the various artists and record companies. The same applies to the App Store; Apple first has to negotiate distribution licenses with all the developers to sell their products in" your country.

As you can see there is no WORLD WIDE licensing to content today. Not only do you have to deal with money issues but the authors and creators and the governments.

Bob

Collapse -
I had the same problem, --not anymore!
by EmisonCNER / August 12, 2010 3:03 AM PDT

I live in Syria and I know how horrible the on-line purchasing can be. What I did was that I got a friend of mine to open a bank account for me in Spain (the account was in his name, of course)and now I use the credit card I got from the bank, my friends mailing address and that's that! I rarely make any purchases and you get some REALLY cool Apps for free. One thing though, I only can make purchases from the Spanish iTunes store but it's fine cuz I can speak Spanish, so that's something you should be careful about. I get an error message whenever I open certain apps that states that I am in an area where the App isn't supported but I just dismiss it and continue to use the App. (Even these error messages are in Spanish). None of the banks in Syria allow on-line money transactions and even if any did, you won't be able to use them on iTunes. Try iTunes Canada Happy Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.