Emachine OEM
98 SE/ IE 5.50/ OE 5/ Internet Access 5.4
56 k
533MHz
64 mb
128 kb
NAV2004

I received a file through email that is listed as .wpd

When I tried to open it, the mesage states that "the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action".

I tried to create an association, but, I just cannot get it to work. Please explain how to do this.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Create an association for opening files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Create an association for opening files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure, might be a word perfect document (???)

In reply to: Create an association for opening files

If so, click open with ... and select any word processing program or text editor. You may get a warning message that says the formats wont work, etc. Or you could ask sender to copy the text to an e-mail and resend it. Or ask sender to save as... and select a word processor that you have (for example, Word)

Collapse -
Re: Create an association for opening files

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Create an association for opening files

I thought the extension meant wordpad. No wonder my association wouldn't work.

I did ask the sender for another format, but no response yet.

Bob, I looked at the support page you sent. I will attempt the maneuver soon.

Bob, Larry, Thanks for responding.

Collapse -

You might have a problem. I'll explain.

The procedure for associating a given extension (like wpd) with a file to open it, is very simple. You take care that you have such a file somewhere on the hard disk (by example by saving the attachment from the e-mail). Then browse to it with Windows Explorer, shift-right click on it, choose Open with ... from the menu, browse to the program you wish to use to open it, CHECK the box stating you want to always use this program to open this type of file, and OK. That's easy isn't it.

But, of course, you need to have a program that can read the file. wpd is a WordPerfect Document, but I assume you don't have that program. Older versions of MS Word came with the option to install a WordPerfect filter to open WP-files, but that should create an assocation for wpd also, I think. Newer versions of MS Word seem to lack even the option.

The easiest thing to do would be to ask the sender to save her original file in a format she can save and you can read. Any variant of MS Word format (.doc) would do, but maybe she can produce rtf or html also.
A more cumbersome way would be to buy your own copy of WordPerfect, or download 50 Mb of OpenOffice from www.openoffice.com, although I'm not 100% sure that program can read wpd-files.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Create an association for opening files

"""You take care that you have such a file somewhere on the hard disk (by example by saving the attachment from the e-mail). Then browse to it with Windows Explorer, shift-right click on it, choose Open with ... from the menu, browse to the program you wish to use to open it, CHECK the box stating you want to always use this program to open this type of file, and OK. That's easy isn't it."""
Kess, I did that at first, and it didn't work. I thought it was Wordpad.

I have asked the sender to resend in a different format.

Thanks for responding,

Collapse -
go here ...

Collapse -
Sheila, Microsoft Word Should Work In A Pinch...

Although that particular file is indeed a "WordPerfect Document", and we get plenty of them at our agency, none of our computers have WordPerfect installed. As a result, I've reassociated all of our machines to open .wpd file types with Word. If you have Word installed, simply click once on the .wpd file to highlight it, then, while holding down the "shift" key,RIGHT click on the file, choose "Open With" from the menu. When the "Open With" box opens, place a CHECK mark in the little box that says: "Always use this program to open this file type", then scroll to the "Winword" listing and double click on it. If the filter is installed, the file should open.

Occasionally, Word still has difficulty. In that case, I open a blank document in Microsoft Word, then click on "File" in the upper left corner, choose "Open". When the "Open" window loads, navigate to the .wpd file, then double click on it. The file should convert and open.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Microsoft Word Should Work In A Pinch...

In reply to: Sheila, Microsoft Word Should Work In A Pinch...

Grif,

"A pinch" might be optimistic.

To start with, you must have installed the WordPerfect filters into Word. That's not included in the typical install, if available at all for the appropiate WP-version in the custom install.

Much more to think of in http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html

But I think Edward did a good job in locating auxiliary programs also.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees, Some Info For Ya...

In reply to: Re: Microsoft Word Should Work In A Pinch...

I've installed varying versions of Office Professional on our agency computers as well as on my personal computers and the only version which required a special installation of WordPerfect converters was a single computer with Office 97 installed. Although normally not a problem with Office 97, apparently the converters were not installed when this one was placed on the machine. In the other cases, the complete, default installation of Office 97/2000/XP seems to have installed the converters. For example, today, I did a clean set up a used computer with Windows 2000 and installed Office XP Professional. Immediately after doing so, I associated .wpd files with Word and it worked fine.

That's just my experience with this issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Sheila, Microsoft Word Should Work In A Pinch...

In reply to: Sheila, Microsoft Word Should Work In A Pinch...

Grif, I just now was able to use your suggestion. I didn't forget your suggestion, I was just not able to use the 'puter.

Anyway, I opened the wpd in Works. I used a blank document. It worked just you said it would.

Thanks for the help. I have a question about a pps file. I will make a new post.

Thanks,
Sheila

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sheila, Good Job & Glad We Could Help !

In reply to: Re: Sheila, Microsoft Word Should Work In A Pinch...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.