Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

crazy wireless problem..

by deniz2007 / March 20, 2008 3:25 AM PDT

hello everyone. i have a wireless usb adapter, and everything normally works fine. i never had this issue with my old laptop, which also had a wireless pcmcia card.

anyway i am not getting the speed i should be, i'm getting 50kb's not 2mb. But i have a usb 2.0 card and it's fine in system properties.

I just did a network status scan through windows, here are screenshots of whats up..my adapter is listed numerous times, so how can i remove them?

http://leetradio.kicks-***.org/violator/network.jpg

http://leetradio.kicks-***.org/violator/network2.jpg

for the life of me i can't figure out how to get rid of these 'extra adapters'

any help will be awesome, thanks in advance.

d.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: crazy wireless problem..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: crazy wireless problem..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One answer, two ways. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2008 5:29 AM PDT

Since you didn't tell us what type of computer is at issue:

Laptop - Get a PCMCIA card

Desktop - Get a PCI wireless card

USB is not designed for wireless. USB is the quick and dirty way to go wireless, but no one will tell you it's just a PITA. As you're finding out.

Collapse -
Yeah, almost figured as much...
by deniz2007 / March 20, 2008 6:40 PM PDT

Sorry for not detailing my system specs.

It's a desktop i just put together, P4 2.0, 1gb DDR, 256 Vid, 80gb hd.

with the laptop i had, i was using a pcmcia card for 2 years without problems, and there are two other laptops in the house which connect the same way without issue. But this has been nothing but grief for 2 weeks. The odd time i will connect at my normal 2mb/s down rate, but other times the connection will either just disappear or give me usb 1.1 speeds, being 50kb/s. (i also have a usb 2.0 pci card for my external dvd rom) . Anyways it's simply been too many random problems, I'll be picking up a pci network card today. Thanks for the help.

(really didn't think it should have been this difficult, i don't get boggled much by hardware, with xp everything is pretty foolproof)

Thanks for the help.

d.

Collapse -
..damn, a 1 week wait.
by deniz2007 / March 20, 2008 8:43 PM PDT

I talked to my pc guy and he didn't have the card on hand and i have to wait a week for the part to come in.

Are there any workarounds, perhaps.. As in somehow ridding of those extra adapters? 1 week will be veyr painful with the speed i'm getting, but i -have- managed to get 2mb down for as long as 24 hours as if it was working totally normally. 50kb/s a down for a week is going to be torture so i'd like to find a way to totally flush that adapter list. Any ideas anyone? id really appreciate it.

In the meantime i'm going to check with 1 more place for the part, but if i am stuck with this speed/instability for a week, .. just damn Happy

thanks in advance.

d.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

With all the new things going on in wifi (that kiddie exploit tool that allows you to connect to WEP protected networks in one click) the Networkng Forum advice is updated to... Use WPA, lease SSID broadcasting and pretty much leave the other settings alone.

And MAC filtering doesn't help and in some routers causes issues. The one click kiddie tool walks right past the mac filter by what they call spoofing.
Bob

Collapse -
something new..
by deniz2007 / March 23, 2008 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

ok so in my router config, i found that my subnet seems to be 255.0.0.0 for this personal connection..

heres a screenshot of the final 'modem stat page' , does this seem off to you?

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=badnetworkul3.jpg

i think i've narrowed it down but not sure how to repair this.. otherwise the modem has been working fine lately, but still dropping from 2mb/s down to 50kb/s

thanks in advance.

(btw its in turkish, but etkin means - enabled, upnp isn't enabled)

hope to hear from someone soon.

Collapse -
I didn't see where it was WPA for the wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: something new..

You may be passing up what is the best advice ever given in our Networking Forum. Time and time again moving to the forum settings has nailed this issue.

I do see dated firmware of 2005 (?) so I'd be looking for newer.

-> The issue of the KIDDIE EXPLOIT is causing too many to write "it worked fine before" or "others connect fine" so I'm at a loss as to how to pass on this is turning out to be the cause of many issues.

In closing, hardware does eventually fail. That 2005 date in the screen could have me swap out the device if it was setup our way.
Bob

Collapse -
not yet..
by deniz2007 / March 24, 2008 2:40 AM PDT

No, i haven't changed the security to WPA yet, i don't have any lan cable incase something happens so thats what i'm waiting for. Tomorrow i'll pick a few feet up incase i run into a problem, i don't want to totally lock myself out of the router.

Also i went to their website and picked up the firmware upgrade so that's something i'll also do tomorrow once i'm sure i can patch manually incase of any unexpected errors. (with pc's i always expect the unexpected..)

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the tip.

d.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.