Please perform a scan with F-secure online scanner
1. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Start Scanning"
You may receive an alert on the address bar at this point to install the ActiveX control, please do so.
2. After installed, click on Accept on the license agreement.
3. Click "Full System Scan" to download the scanning components and begin scan and cleaning.
4. When the scan completes, click the "I want to decide item by item" button.
5. For each item found, Select "Disinfect" and click "Next".
Please perform a scan with TrendMicro Housecall
Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.
1. Under "Scan your PC", please click "Scan now. It's free!".
2. Then under ?Continue with your free scan? click on ?Launch Housecall Free Scan?.
A new window will open.
4. Click the "Launch HouseCall" button.
**If Java support is disabled on your system''' or no Java runtime environment is installed, click on the link in the red box to download and install Java or enable Java.
5. Next, click on "Starting HouseCall". Please be patient while Housecall downloads necessary components. You may receive a Security Warning " Do you want to install this software? Name: hcImpl.cab Publisher: Trend Micro..." Click Run when prompted.
Please be patient while Housecall downloads necessary components. You may receive a Security Warning about the TrendMicro Java applet and asking if you want to run it Click "Yes" when prompted.
Again please be patient while Trend Micro HouseCall is updated or installed. This can take some time especially if you are using a dial-up connection.
7. Under "'''Scan complete computer for malware, grayware, and vulnerabilities'''" click the "Next>>" button. It will download the latest scan engine and pattern files. When the definitions have been downloaded, the scan will start. Once the scan is complete, it will take you to the summary page.
8. Once done, it will take you to the ?Results page? In the ?cleanup options? select the first dial button "Clean all detected infections automatically".
9. Click the "Clean now>>" button.
10. When presented with a notification "According to your instructions, all detected infections were cleaned...", click "OK".
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or alternate download link
* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
* - Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* - Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.
* MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
* On the Scanner tab:
* - Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
* - Then click on the Scan button.
* The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
* Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* -- Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
**If you encounter this message:"c:\program files\malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll Unable to register the dll/ocx: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" Click on ignore mbamext.dll
Did the scans find anything ?
i have a nasty virus the i can't seem to get rid of. hopefully somebody here will have some ideas.
here is the history. Last week i grabbed an iso of latest ubuntu through bittorrent, and i assume something nasty entered my system.
here is what happens (in no particular order or timing....very random):
1) system beeps
2) explorer (or whatever browser is default) will start opening over and over again. in some of the google searches, i see "p..,"
3) printer will sometimes print the google page
4) if i'm in a program it will automatically start 'entering' whatever i have on the screen. thus making installing, uninstalling, etc. VERY difficult.
I have Mcafee, super antispyware, spybot, and windows defender running. NONE have detected or stopped anything....even when the attack is happening.
I also did a full system reinstall of my operating system partition, and a day or so later it came back.....
if anybody wants to view the hijackthis report, please email me.
any help would be much appreciated...i'm at a loss.