Computer Help forum

General discussion

Crazy Reoobting! Tough one here!

by ScottJoh64 / February 1, 2011 3:22 AM PST

I've had this AMD K8 739 socket and MB for about 6 years. When I built it it was great. I used it a lot until I got my laptop so it's been sitting a while. I finally get back on it and it won't boot, no biggie fixed that. I am using it and it just reboots, no rhyme or reason. It does this all day. I swap everything, drive, memory, clean up the entire board with contact cleaner and reinstall the OS, all with the same results.

I have it up and running then what ever I run, it just reboots randomly. I really don't want to start replacing MB components like capacitors so, any other ideas?

Thanks,
SJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crazy Reoobting! Tough one here!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crazy Reoobting! Tough one here!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Tried new thermal paste/compound on the CPU ?
by VAPCMD / February 1, 2011 3:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Probably not temp...
by ScottJoh64 / February 1, 2011 6:17 AM PST

No I haven't, I don't have any handy anyway. I don't think it's a heat issue because I raised the shutdown temp in the BIOS and had the same results.

Funny thing is; I just ran the system for about two hours with the recovery console and it didn't fail. Strange.

Collapse -
Download, install, run and minimize PCWizard
by VAPCMD / February 1, 2011 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Probably not temp...

Once minimized you'll be able to see the cpu core temps while the system is in operation. While you're under the hood, might replace the CMOS battery.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Ehhhh
by ScottJoh64 / February 1, 2011 11:50 AM PST

Not interested in loading more program but I will try it. It a fresh install, guess it can't hurt.

I'm running Unbuntu on that box now with out any issues. I wonder if it just a fluke with XP and something is now catching it. I know improbable bur, Occum's Razor applies.

Collapse -
(NT) Fixed ??
by VAPCMD / February 11, 2011 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: Ehhhh
Collapse -
That thing about Linux and XP is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2011 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Ehhhh

Linux is pretty easy when it comes to drivers. XP doesn't do that and it's up to you to get the current BIOS and all the drivers. The machine's maker should have a set that work well together. Start with that set.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.