Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Crazy drivers

by Bill Osler / October 22, 2007 12:23 PM PDT

I was in the mountains for a few days last week. On the way back I got stuck for an hour in traffic connected to road work that had things backed up for about 16 miles on the Interstate. While in the traffic jam traffic speeds ranged from a dead stop to very brief periods of 40 mph.

I've always figured that both lanes will have their ebbs and surges in speed so I generally choose a lane very carefully (something like: eanie meanie minie ...) and stick with it unless I have a good reason to try to change.

During the hour I was stuck I watched a guy in a Suburban do his best to beat the overall flow. He started out about even with me in the other lane. After a lot of work he managed to move about 3 car lengths ahead of me in my lane, but he didn't quit while he was ahead. In the end he ended up in my lane again ... behind me. At least watching this guy doing stupid things trying to shorten the trip by a few seconds provided a bit of entertainment.

I'm glad he didn't cause a wreck with all his futile lane changes.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crazy drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crazy drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I like drivers
by Patricia89 / October 22, 2007 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Crazy drivers

that take off from a red light squealing tires and wind up slamming their brakes on at the next red light. If I wouldn't get shot for it I would flash my idiot sign at them.
Pat

Collapse -
The ones that get me
by Steven Haninger / October 22, 2007 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: I like drivers

are those that see someone about to change lanes and get in front of them even if there is plenty of room to do so. They hit the after burners, the brakes and the horn....in that sequence....just to show their disapproval. As well, there are those that cannot pull in behind you even though they are about to turn off the highway. They must pass as many cars as they can squeeze by before slamming on the brakes to make their turn. Some of these are the same folks who, when not behind the wheel, are very polite. There should be a law against "driving under the influence of having a driver's license". Happy

Collapse -
Re: Crazy drivers
by C1ay / October 22, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

They're running around shopping center parking lots too. I can't believe the number of people in front of me that pass a spot, because it's a little more of a walk than something else they might find, that are still circling for a spot after I've already taken the spot they passed and walked to the store myself.

Collapse -
looking for closer parking spot
by JP Bill / October 22, 2007 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Crazy drivers

Specially the ones that are going to exercise classes

Collapse -
They were going here
by PudgyOne / October 22, 2007 2:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Now THAT'S funny!
by drpruner / October 22, 2007 7:52 PM PDT
In reply to: They were going here
Collapse -
Related to those here who sit in front of
by drpruner / October 22, 2007 7:55 PM PDT

a popular fitness center on Main. Drinking a health smoothie.

Smoking.

Collapse -
You mean
by drpruner / October 22, 2007 7:50 PM PDT

like my wife. Happy

Collapse -
I've often wondered about people
by Dragon / October 23, 2007 8:33 AM PDT

Who have to have the closest possible parking place, when going to the mall or to Walmart, where they do a lot of walking.

Collapse -
I've watched tractor-trailer drivers control traffic
by Steven Haninger / October 22, 2007 8:14 PM PDT

when they were aware of a problem ahead...usually an accident or lane closure. They'll block both lanes and attempt to get everyone into single file mode. If they are successful, a lot of angry drivers will get where they are going a lot faster than with the constant lane changing.

Collapse -
I've seen that too ...
by Bill Osler / October 22, 2007 11:01 PM PDT

My impression is that the drivers don't do it that often, and when they do folks will still try to pull around them by driving on the shoulder and so on. I thought about pacing alongside a car next to me when my lane started to move faster than the opposite lane but with the amount of road rage stuff that I hear about I wasn't sure it was a good idea.

Collapse -
I've blocked people on the shoulders
by Dragon / October 23, 2007 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I've seen that too ...

before, by driving on the shoulder but with the traffic.

Collapse -
There are occasions when that is reasonable, but I see that
by Kiddpeat / October 23, 2007 11:22 AM PDT

most often these days when people block the exit lanes. They aren't getting off, so they think nobody else is either.

Collapse -
In this case, there were no exits
by Dragon / October 23, 2007 11:40 AM PDT

One time, I was on the loop around Ft Worth. I was in the left lane, already going over the limit. The overpasses had as slopes on each side. Some kind of sport SUV or oversized jeep-like vehicle, passed me on the left by using the slope as a lane to pass me. He had to be crazy to try that stunt.

Collapse -
California Highway Patrol (and other states, no doubt)
by drpruner / October 23, 2007 7:59 AM PDT

send a motorcycle to a crash scene first to slow down traffic: Weaving across as many lanes as there are w/lights on. Not safe, but effective.

Collapse -
Orange barrel fever
by Willy / October 23, 2007 12:40 AM PDT

You see that from time to time, it just is. However, I like to point out, if a roadway is so dang important to be repaired then it should be given all due resources to get it done and "NOT in 1 shift cycles". The sooner its done and all that, the less likely to cause accidents and/or injuries to workers as well. The orange barrels pop-up like rotten fruit every season and what makes it worse that "multiple repairs" in all different directions cause a funnel effect to less traveled roads. Also, because there so much traffic or trucks that more often than not, warning signs or lights aren't always seen and get brake lights a workout. Plus, the longer the work being done the more likely frequent commuters jockey right away to get the best location before its too late. Their actions cause trucks and/or well spaced cars to jam-up as they weave about. Idiots would be a kind for them. Wink ------Willy

Collapse -
Orange barrels
by James Denison / October 25, 2007 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Orange barrel fever

Yes, and traffic fines double in those areas "under work" even if no one is working at the time. There's a few places on the way from Maryland to Florida along I-95 where I think they are "working" all the time, but the ones working the most are the highway patrol. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.