Desktops forum

General discussion

Crashes with Wireless Devices

by cnetmach / April 12, 2006 6:49 PM PDT

Hi all,

I've got an Athlon 2200+ desktop with 512MB ram. I am not certain of the exact specification but I'll have a look and post it here. The problem I'm having is that whenever I connect ANY wireless device to the system, be it a PCI card or a USB device (I have tried D-Link and Netgear models) the system just randomly crashes. The crashes are the kind where even though the system doesn't appear to be under and strain it all just stops, and they happen totally randomly - it could be after 5 minutes or 3 hours. I have run the system without the wireless devices and it will stay on for days with no problem.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Bren

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crashes with Wireless Devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crashes with Wireless Devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
An example way to crash.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 8:50 PM PDT

Let's say I just install XP and only use Microsoft's motherboard drivers and maybe a video driver. That machine would likely crash randomly. The cause is the outdated BIOS or motherboard drivers if not a hardware issue.

Your post does not supply the gritty details to write "do this" so I have to note the usual issue.

Bob

Collapse -
I may have a related issue...
by WhyFi / April 14, 2006 1:56 PM PDT

or it could be coincidence... I had a crash the yesterday, and it happened after I installed new drivers and physically installed a Netgear 802.11g PCI card... and I still haven't been able to resolve the issue.
I was working on a new build (ABIT AT8 MB, AMD Opteron 170 CPU, 2 1-gig sticks of RAM), Windows was installed and running well, but I just hit a brick wall trying to power up after putting in the Netgear card. I DO know that there's a new BIOS version for my board, but I can't even get BIOS up! No video output, just fans and lights on the board. Tried clearing CMOS (I even disconnected all power and pulled out the battery!), tried taking the whole thing out of the case (to see if something in the case was causing a short), all to no avail...
Any suggestions are welcome.

Collapse -
In your case, you need to fix the hardware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2006 10:42 PM PDT

New motherboard or other parts are needed. If there is some extra mounting post shorting on the backside of the motherboard, a card that's not plugged in completely or "other" you fix that.

Since I'm not there I can't fix the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
I was afraid of that...
by WhyFi / April 15, 2006 3:12 AM PDT

but I was kinda figuring that that would be the case... I tested everything else in my HP, it all works. A new mobo is it, then!
Thanks for the input!

Collapse -
The last hurrah motherboard test is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2006 4:05 AM PDT

I pull the motherboard out and set it up on a cardboard square and try to run it there with as few parts as possible. If it doesn't beep or complain, I'm looking at the few parts that could be dead.

Bob

Collapse -
Crashes with Wireless Devices
by pcrx_greg / April 15, 2006 1:52 PM PDT

What OS are you running, and are you using any other networking device, i.e., Ethernet, dial-up, etc.? If you could give more details, maybe we could figure out the problem. As far as the other machine that won't boot at all, try removing everything from the motherboard including the CPU and memory. Then try turning the machine on. I know that nothing will happen, but then reinstall the CPU, memory, and video card if one is needed, and try booting. I've found in the past, that the motherboard and CPU sometimes get out of synch, and doing this resets the motherboard. I think what happens, is that when it gets out of synch, when you press the power button, the PC goes into sleep mode instead of starting. When you reset the board it will sometimes restart, if it doesn't, your motherboard is probably bad.

Collapse -
Oh dear
by cnetmach / April 15, 2006 6:55 PM PDT

Hi,

Unfortunately the crashing has now spread to the system when not using the wireless as well.

I was running Windows XP SP2 with an MSI KT4V motherboard, Athlon 2200+, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB and 40 GB internal IDE drives, 120 GB external Lacie D2 drive, D-Link DWL-G132 Wireless USB key, PNY Verto Geforce 5900XT AGP Card.

(I had the crashing problem before I acquired the 40/120GB HDs)

I am not currently using any other form of networking device.

Thanks everybody!

Bren

Collapse -
I didn't notice the hijacking of the discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2006 9:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh dear

Sorry.

But these Athlon based systems do require the owner to find and install proper drivers. Nothing in Windows or Microsoft will do this automatically.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.