Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Crashes when using dial up

by A.L. / April 8, 2004 9:22 AM PDT

We're stumped, this is a brand new Compac Presserio(I know I've spelled that wrong) laptop.Windows Xp Home. Sorry that's all the system info I have. It crashes without fail every time they try to dial up an internet connection. In deperation they brought it to my house to see if it would connect here, same thing happened.The vendor (a large business chain) had it for a day and said it was fine,they blamed the ISP. The ISP says that's ludicrous go for warranty. The vendor does not seem receptive to that.
We have ruled out spyware and virus infections because they have never been on line with it,nor has it ever had any other programs loaded since it was purchased.
I know this info is sketchy but I'm writing on the chance that some one else might have had a similar experience. Thank you. Ann

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crashes when using dial up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crashes when using dial up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Crashes when using dial up
by Michael Geist / April 8, 2004 9:25 AM PDT

Look in Event Viewer to see if anything is noted.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Crashes when using dial up
by A.L. / April 8, 2004 9:36 AM PDT

Thank You Michael and I will look in event viewer when I get a chance, I think now it is back at the vendors who still say it's fine. Ann

Collapse -
Re:Crashes when using dial up
by David Chan / April 8, 2004 12:09 PM PDT

Ann,

You did not say which ISP.

Since AOL also has free trial Dial-up connections have you tried setting up with AOL?

Make sure you get the vendor to demonstrate that it can connect to a Dial-up ISP and not cable via the NIC.

The main area to troubleshoot is the Modem on the Laptop.
Test that it is dialing up and that the drivers are properly installed.

Also review this link and see if it helps:
Resources for Troubleshooting Modem Problems in Windows XP

Collapse -
Re:Re:Crashes when using dial up
by A.L. / April 8, 2004 9:13 PM PDT

Hello David:
Where we stand now, the Vendor has offered to replace the laptop but claims the replacement will crash as well if we use the same internet provider.We are all on dialup here with our local telephone company and no one else in our area has ever had this problem.
Thank you for your suggestions, we will follow them through and if we ever resolve this I'll post and let you know. Ann

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Crashes when using dial up
by Cursorcowboy / April 8, 2004 10:04 PM PDT

1. We have ruled out spyware and virus infections because they have never been on line with it,nor has it ever had any other programs loaded since it was purchased.

2. The vendor (a large business chain) had it for a day and said it was fine,they blamed the ISP. The ISP says that's ludicrous go for warranty.

Based on the above two statements, let's assume your really not sure:

Download the patch described in the Microsoft article, "MS03-039: A Buffer Overrun in RPCSS Could Allow an Attacker to Run Malicious Programs (Q824146)" (a 1,508Kb file) for the applicable version of WinXP used and keep it on hand and install before ever accessing the Internet. Should you format and reinstall XP at a later date, then install the patch.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Crashes when using dial up
by A.L. / April 8, 2004 10:24 PM PDT

Thanks Cursorcowboy, if we ever manage to get online we'll download the patch, you're right, the vendor has according to them, accessed the internet with it although the owner never has been able to.I'll post back if this problem is ever resolved. Ann

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Crashes when using dial up.Update
by A.L. / April 19, 2004 10:50 PM PDT

An update, the problem was solved by changing ISP.It seems the computer modem was incompatible with the server, go figure!!!! The server indignantly denies this could happen but the bottom line is that the computer works fine now that they have switched ISP.
Thank you for your help and suggestions. Ann

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?