PC Applications forum

General discussion

Crashes

by CJKrause / May 26, 2007 8:08 PM PDT

i am having frequent crashes with sometimes the comp getting stuck with no msgs and some times with msgs which read more or less like this:

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREEN,RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN,FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY NEW HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE IS PROPERLY INSTALLED.
IF PROBLEMS CONTINUE,DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS CACHING OR SHADOWING.
RUN THE DRIVER VERIFIER AGAINST NEW OR SUSPECT DRIVERS.IF THAT DOESNT REVEAL THE CORRUPTING DRIVER,TRY ENABLING SPECIAL POOL.BOTH OF THESE FEATURES ARE INTENDED TO CATCH THE CORRUPTION AT AN EARLIER POINT WHERE THE OFFENDING DRIVER CAN BE IDENTIFIED.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
***STOP:0X0000000A(OX87850C2E,.......... ..)
BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY

what does this actually mean?how do i rectify this?what is causing the problems? has it got to do anything with memory leakage?
what do the terms like "disable bios memory","run driver verifier" and "beginning dump of physical memory" mean?

i have win xp pro,256mb ddr,80 gb hdd,geforce 6200 with 512 mb ddr.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a problem with XP.
by Kees Bakker / May 26, 2007 8:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Crashes

And it tells you it think it's driver related. Do you remember you did install any hardware or new drivers just before this started?

Links:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22driver+verifier%22+xp
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617
You won't like the contents, I'm afraid.

BIOS memory options are defined in the BIOS setup. If you didn't change anything there, it's unlikely to be cause of your troubles. You can have a look by pressing del or f10 or f2 (or whatever key it is in your PC) very early in the boot process, but I wouldn't recommend it if it's unknown to you at the moment.

Kees

Collapse -
Let me add a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Crashes
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.