Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Crashes

by slash_4600 / September 30, 2005 1:06 PM PDT

My computer crashes alot but I`ve only kinda got it under control acording to microsoft it was a problem with my raidion 9250 but now its jus a device driver witch I still believe is the raidion. Anyways I`m wondering if there is a way to stop this accourding to cnet the company that built this pc put a mac addition raidion in my computer and put win xp home on it. Definatly not smart, anyways this is a $5000 with good performance but its got terible stability for the price but if theres any way you can stop this can you please tell me I would greatly apriciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) id have place of purchase warrenty it
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2005 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Crashes
Collapse -
First...
by jackintucson / October 1, 2005 6:40 AM PDT

can you please tell us what exactly cost you $5,000? Give us the specs on your system please. Heres what we need:

Make/Model# of motherboard
What CPU is installed
How much memory
What harddrives are installed
What Sound card (either PCI or onboard)
What Graphics card
How big is the power supply

Next:

What primary applications do you run?
What anti-virus if any
What firewall if any
What anti-spyware/adware/malware if any
What registry cleaner if any

What are you doing when the system crashes or freezes? Be specific please.

What have you done so far to resolve issues. Be specific please.

Once you answer those questions we have at least a start point at which we may help you.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
ok
by slash_4600 / October 1, 2005 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: First...

Make/Model# of motherboard - Asus Proactive AI p5p800
What CPU is installed - Intel p4 at 3.2 ghz
How much memory - 1 gb
What harddrives are installed - western digital 160gb hard drive( it says nowhere if its ata or sata)
What Sound card (either PCI or onboard) - pci creative sound blaster
What Graphics card - ati raidion pro 9250
How big is the power supply - 400 wats the 350 wat one went 3 months ago

What primary applications do you run? Trillajin, nortan internet security, microsoft anti sypyware, asus prob agwin print screen, and slimbrowser for games I use rct 2, nfsu 1 and runescape
What anti-virus if any - nortan anti virus 2005
What firewall if any - nortan internet security 2005
What anti-spyware/adware/malware if any - microsoft anti psyware beta 1
What registry cleaner if any - none

What are you doing when the system crashes or freezes? Be specific please. most recently I closed limewire and it crashed when I used msn sometimes it would crash when someone said something, starting some games windows media player useto crash it but I stoped useing it

What have you done so far to resolve issues. Be specific please. I`ve aliminated almost all software that causes crashes but I`m getting more crashes again

Collapse -
limewire
by linkit / October 1, 2005 2:37 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

P2P software like Limewire, Kazaa, etc., is notorious for allowing spyware, viruses, and malware into a computer. In fact, the programs themselves have been known to install spyware. That's why I don't use them.

Collapse -
Yep
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 7:45 PM PDT
In reply to: limewire

Flush Limewire out of your system, do complete scans with your NIS with updated definitions and the same with MSAS, and see if the crashes reduce.

Mark

Collapse -
Limewire not the problem
by slash_4600 / October 2, 2005 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep

I`ve had tones of crashes b4 limewire was even on this computer and I only get Limewire pro and such because they temd to be the programs that don`t come with spyware and I`m sure that nortan or msnas would have caught them so limewire can`t b the problem cuz its only caused 1 crash msn has caused like 30 of em one of the reasons y I hate msn is cuz of crashes but b4 ms said it was my ati drivewr witch windows xp wont let me update cuz the drivers aren`tr downloaded fom a secursite but now its just a device driver so maybe w/e caused the crashes in the ati driver has spread.

Collapse -
Ever get the ...
by jackintucson / October 2, 2005 2:25 AM PDT

idea we're grasping at straws? Wink OK. DL this program and see what happens. You might also get cozy with the idea of wiping everything clean and starting anew.

http://www.pconpoint.com/download/

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
PConPoint
by Stan Chambers / October 2, 2005 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Ever get the ...

This may be a good utility, but won't fix anything until you pay the $37.00 to purchase it.
Although it claims that the trial version will repair limited items, it doesn't.
Try these freebies.

Tweak Now Registry Cleaner
http://www.download.com/TweakNow-RegCleaner-Professional/3000-2094_4-10424145.html

CCleaner fixes registry issues, and cleans out all those temp files, and is very fast.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Be sure to follow the instructions and backup your registry when the option is offered.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?