The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

CRASH! Laptop DEAD!

by rosscbrown / February 23, 2006 11:08 PM PST

I decide I'm going to make a back up of mu disk. I set the date for Friday (today. Yesterday, I break the darn thing and have to reset it back to factory.

Its such a pain.

And it happens everytime I decide to do full backups. I set a date and break before that date.

One really should just build up a disk image.

I don't worry about my data so often as it gets backed up to a portable hard disk that lives in a fire proof data safe and is also copied accross the network to a server in SF.

Whatare your back up strategies guys?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CRASH! Laptop DEAD!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CRASH! Laptop DEAD!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't really have or need one ..
by barret55 / February 23, 2006 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: CRASH! Laptop DEAD!

I never keep anything on my computer that I can't afford to lose. I use IMAP to access my email, so it's not stored on my computer. The stuff I can't afford to lose are stored on our network servers, which are backed up nightly.

The family home computer is pretty much the same was as well. We don't really keep anything on it that can't be replaced should the computer just go belly-up.

-Terry

Collapse -
I have multiple
by Wilf_Brim / February 24, 2006 12:22 AM PST

After a couple of disk crash scares, and hurricane scares, I now am very serious about data protection, and have many layers.

1) Ultra critical financial data (i.e. Quicken file) backed up daily on independent removable media, one copy alwyas with me (encrypted on flash drive)

2) Documents are mirrored on two desktops (when they both working, one currently waiting for RAM replacment from factory)

3) Files also mirrored on each machine on secondary HDD

4) Both machines are imaged onto removable USB HDD weekly. Also (since the disc is big enough) personal files are copied onto uncompressed directories.

5) I have unused disk space and bandwidth on my WPP. So I upload (via secure FTP) the other important files (tax, personal data, etc) to a directory on the server. This is kept in a secure data center, backed up, etc.

Yes, I am paranoid. The only other thing that I should do is to get a second USB HDD and keep it offsite, such that if there was a fire or flood at home I could more easily restore.

Collapse -
Combo method
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / February 24, 2006 5:26 AM PST

I try to keep data online where possible and makes sense. I back up financial to a secure thumb drive, and I back up everything non-sensitive to my iPod.

Collapse -
Ipods
by MacHugger / February 24, 2006 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Combo method

Yes, iPods are perfect for this. I usually always recommend to my friends to spend a little more and go with the larger size iPod so you can use it as data storage and not crowd your song capacity too much.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Or other mp3 players
by jemsbarr / February 24, 2006 1:42 PM PST
In reply to: Ipods

I use my 20 gig iRiver to store 5 gigs worth of photos, plus any other sensitive data.

-Morley

Collapse -
hmm
by rosscbrown / February 24, 2006 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: Or other mp3 players

Not to sure about all this backing up onto ipods/mp3 players. I used to use my iRiver 40GB for that kind of thing but I was always scared that one would drop it/lose it/have it stolen. The music was replicable, but the data, not.

Collapse -
I conquer
by johnkemnetz / February 24, 2006 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: hmm

I agree... Last time I put stuff on my iPod bad things happened. I didn't really have anything important on it, but I had put 30 GB out of 40 GB in video on it (even though it is not a video iPod). Anyways, I tried to use the device a few months later (it had been working fine for a while), and all the sudden I got a terrible screen that just said ''www.apple.com/support/ipod'' of course, none of their ideas worked, and when I plugged the iPod into my computer, the iPod software informed me that the iPod wasn't readable, and would have to be formatted. So, I lost everything, showing you that mp3 players are not the way to go for storage.

Collapse -
Non-critical backups
by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / February 25, 2006 3:09 PM PST
In reply to: I conquer

I do agree that you shouldn't use your music player for critical items. It can get stolen and I guess it's somewhat mor elikely to crash because it's used so much more.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.